Friday, September 27, 2013

Small Things And One Awesome Book

First up today is VikLit's Celebrate The Small Things weekly bloghop where participants share good things from the week. (Click on the pic to the left for a complete left of participants.)

This week I am celebrating the kids in my life. They constantly amaze me and amuse me, and I love them all to death.

First up is my almost 10 year old niece. I didn't actually get to see her this week as she was home sick the day we usually visit, but I thought I'd share these snippets of conversations we had during our visit to the Ren Faire.

Her: You don't need a corset. You're too skinny.
Me: Okay.

Her: Who wears a hoop skirt anymore?
Me: Half the people here?

Her: A choker is like a corset for your neck!
Me: *helpless laughter*

Her: Pretty soon we'll be able to wear each other's clothes!
Me: Yes, I guess that's true.
Her: You can borrow my clothes if you want.
Me: Okay. Do you want to borrow my clothes, too?
Her: Uh...no. But we should go shopping sometime. I'll pick out some clothes for you.

And then there is my 12 year old goddaughter was recently cast in a production of The Nutcracker. I'm just so proud of this kid. I've been watching her dance since she was three years old, and the leaps and bounds she's made over the years astound me. She's one lovely, talented young lady. Seriously, I'm not sure I could be more proud of her.

Next up is The Cephalopod Coffeehouse hosted by the Armchair Squid. This monthly bloghop asks participants to simply share the best book they've read over the previous month. (For a complete list of participants, please click on the pic to the right.)

My selection this month is Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. Here's the synopsis, courtesy of Goodreads:

I have two weeks. You’ll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.

That’s what you do to enemy agents. It’s what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmführer von Linden interrogating me again.

He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.

We are a sensational team.


So, I loved this book. Like, seriously loved. And I want to gush about character and voice and story and the plot—because, in my humble opinion, they're all pretty freakin' brilliant—but to do that would be doing a disservice to any of you out there who haven't yet read this book and intend to.

It's one of those stories where it's one million times better if you don't already know the ending or the big twist. So I'm not going to tell you anything about it except that I loved it so much that I immediately went out and bought its companion novel (not a sequel) Rose Under Fire.

Haven't had the chance to read that companion novels yet, but I can't wait to get to it.

That's going to do it for me today. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope y'all have a great weekend!

44 comments:

  1. Your niece sounds like a riot! I especially love what she had to say about chokers--that totally had me giggling!

    I've never read Code Name Verity before, but everyone always seems to praise. Glad to see it lived up to the hype for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an absolute riot. That choker thing just about killed me.

      Delete
  2. Your niece sounds like a fun girl. Let her take you shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I intend to. I imagine it'll make a hysterical afternoon. Of course, I still get to pay for everything. She just gets to pick it all out.

      Delete
  3. Keep jotting down those talks, or interview her with a recorder. These are the best years to be buddies. And I definitely want to hear what she picks out for you. :-)

    P.S. I keep hearing about this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother has a notebook in which she's recorded all those kind of gems over the years. Makes for wonderful reading.

      Delete
  4. I love the way kids think! :)

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book. And kids are great. My son was always the best for great lines when he was young. Now that he's older, they're mostly just offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we're heading in that direction.

      Delete
  6. She doesn't want to wear your clothes? Are you not hip enough for her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not hip enough for her. Not by a long shot.

      Delete
  7. Your niece and goddaughter sound so adorable and talented! What a blessing. Too bad you couldn't have your visit, but I hope it's rescheduled soon.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to get down for a visit every week, so we'll just try again then. Or the next week.

      Delete
  8. Your passion for the book says a lot more than any detailed account could.

    Good luck to your Goddaughter and congrats to her! Hope your niece feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kids in your life sound wonderful. And hilarious. And that sounds like a really good book. I need to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are wonderful. I am blessed to know them.

      Delete
  10. It's wonderful you have a niece and goddaughter to have fun with. I went to a bunch of Ren-fests when young, and it's the location of my current WIP short story. I love them! The name of the book sounds very familiar, but not the synopsis at all. For some reason I thought it was a medieval female assassin thing. I've obviously got 2 books confused -- sadly, not that unusual. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you're thinking of Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers. That's about a medieval teenage assassin. I liked that book very much.

      Delete
  11. I'm definitely going to read this - this is the second good review I've read today! :-) Good to 'meet' you - now following :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else is raving about it? I'll have to track them down.

      Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  12. You should check out Words Incorporated on the blog hop, because Stephanie reviewed the same book. As with hers, I love stories about WWII and I think I'd really like this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fantastic read. If you love WWII stories, you really should love this one.

      Delete
  13. ooh, code name verity....sounds neat:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww so cute and funny!!!

    Congratulations to your daughter for making the cast. And, yes, yay for the kids in our lives ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! We read the same book and had the same reaction (loved it) and took the same approach with our review (gush and avoid specifics). It was pretty fantastic. I was excited to see Rose Under Fire come out so quickly on the heels of this one, too. My review is over at stephstuph.blogspot.com—I'm one of the Cephalopod crew.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't 10-year olds incredible? By 12 they can be so different. Cute dialogue. BTW--thanks for joining my blog. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that your niece is already preparing you to be a second closet for her. You better get some nice clothes for her to borrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. As you already know from her comment, Stephanie chose this one for today, too. Sounds like an amazing read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Arggghhhh!!! Blog hops! Blogfests! Please, make them stop! Phew, sorry about that...

    Don't kids and some adults say the darnest things :) Share a book with an armchair type squid? Fish books, perhaps. Songs from Fiddler on the Reef? If I was a rich clam...

    Code Name Verity. Fascinating. I barely have time to read books these days. Too busy um leaving highly collectable comments. Okay, maybe next time I'll leave a highly collectable comment....

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kids are amazing, aren't they? I love the way they say stuff adults can only think.... I loved Code Name Verity. It was so SAD!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your niece sounds like a lot of fun :) And congratulations to your goddaughter!

    Code Name Verity sounds awesome! I have to look for it. I love nearly anything that deals with that time period, so thanks for the info!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi MJ! New follower here. It's nice to meet your via follow fest and to learn some things about you! Looking forward to more posts :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll check this book out. Sounds like one for my TBR list. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Will definitely take a look at that book. Big happy hugs to your goddaughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This book is so lovable. I am very grateful to read the book.
    Pet Food
    Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, I'm going to have to get this book. I've picked it up and put it down several times before, but now that I've heard the reviews, I need to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Code Name Verity has been on my TBR list for some time, but you've made me want to go buy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete