Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Seven Deadly Sins (Of Reading)

I'm totally stealing today's post from Patricia Lynne's blog (who found both it and the nifty badge HERE) . I saw this the other day (Monday?) and thought it would be fun and a nice departure from my ongoing series on How Not To Be A Writer. This is much more interesting. Who among us doesn't like talking about books?



Greed: What is your most expensive book? What is your least expensive book?

My most expensive books are probably my leather bound editions of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. My mother found them for me somewhere. They look great sitting on my shelf. (I feel they're far too nice to touch. You want to touch a Harry Potter book? Use a paperback.)

My least expensive books are the free ebooks I download from Amazon on a regular basis. Most recently, the latest installment of Andrew Leon's Shadow Spinner serial.

Wrath: What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?

I probably have to go with Janet Evanovich here and her Stephanie Plum series. (Thanks to Marie for reminding me of this) The series was great at the start, and I really, really enjoyed it. But I haven't liked the last few books very much at all, and I'm incredibly pissed off at the continuation of the whole Stephanie/Morelli/Ranger triangle. ENOUGH ALREADY. Sadly, I am part of the problem as I continue to read each and every book. I can't help it. Once I start a series, I'll finish it. Even if life is too short for such things.

Gluttony: What book have you devoured over and over with no shame whatsoever?

There are a few books I like to revisit at least once a year (if I can). The top three series are:

1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
2. The President's Daughter by Ellen Emerson White
3. The Justin de Quincy series by Sharon Kay Penman

Sloth: What book have you neglected reading out of laziness?

I haven't yet read A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin. Part of it is the time that would be required, but I think a larger part is that it's such a huge book and my wrists ache just thinking about holding it that long. I'd invest in a ebook version, but it's currently outside of my ebook price range (I perhaps stubbornly refuse to pay more than $8.99 for an ebook).

Pride: What book do you talk about most in order to sound like an intellectual reader?

Hmmm. Probably Troilus and Creseyde by Geoffrey Chaucer. Which I read in the original Middle English because I am a huge dork and used to do things like that. Also, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. In French because I am a huge dork and used to do things like that. But it's not like any of that ever really comes up in conversation (at least not in my social circles). Unless it's a conversation about how I'm a huge dork who used to do things like that. That does come up.

Lust: What attributes do you find most attractive in male or female characters?

I like flawed characters. Perfect characters are boring. Imperfect characters are awesome. I like a hero/heroine who screws up on occasional or, perhaps, all the time. The three series I listed above? I adore them because I adore their characters. Harry Potter is, from time to time, a big jerk—and I love that. Justin de Quincy is what I want my male characters to be. And Meg Powers (the MC of the President's Daughter series) is who I want to be when I grow up. Imperfections and all. I've said this before, and I'll say it again—character is everything.

Envy: What books would you most like to receive as a gift?

I'm happy to receive any book as a gift, but if John Green or Maggie Stiefvater wanted to send me copies of whatever they're working on now (even if it's just a grocery list), I'd be more than happy to accept. Or if Sharon Kay Penman wants to send me more Justin de Quincy stories (it would seem her publisher won't release any more because they don't view them to be as profitable as her other novels), that would be incredibly awesome.


That's going to do it for me today. As always, thanks for stopping by. It's always appreciated.

36 comments:

  1. I love that Harry Potter can be such a jerk - it makes his character. I have a thing for flawed characters, too, so much so that I just based my entire dissertation on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome, Laura. And I just came from your site, so congratulations on finishing it!

      Delete
  2. I won't pay more than ten bucks for an eBook, so there are some I just wait for the price to drop. Some I'm still waiting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. The Dance With Dragons ebook has dropped a little bit, but is still just outside my range.

      Delete
  3. Great post/theme!

    I've pretty much given up on sounding like an intellectual reader. :)

    The HP books, especially the first few, are like comfort food. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think I ever try to sound like an intellectual reader anymore. I was thinking about what my writers group talks about when we talk about books and it seems like it's always Twilight and 50 Shades.

      Next time, I'll just jump up and yell "I read Les Mis in French!" and see what happens.

      Delete
  4. This was really fun! The Harry Potter series is the main one I've read over and over again too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun to revisit that series/world.

      Delete
  5. I love your answers. So glad you stole it from my blog. =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Stiefvater and Green can send me their scratched off To-Do list and I'd probably frame it. :))

    And I can't say I have any really valuable books, but I do have a copy of The Divine Comedy that's from 1916. It was my grandmother's in high school. I still haven't read it. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd frame those grocery lists. Totally.

      I have a lot of my grandparents' old books, including a lot of textbooks that don't even have all the states in them yet. They're a lot of fun to look through.

      Never read the Divine Comedy either.

      Delete
  7. Love the idea, and your answers. Hooray for flawed characters!

    I rarely reread, so my answer for gluttony would have to be I Want My Hat Back. Because it's not every day you get to read a kids book where a bear eats a rabbit and then lies about it. But I get to read it every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read that book. It sounds awesome.

      Delete
  8. This is just so much fun to read! And I agree. Harry Potter books should be read in paperback/ebook and the expensive pretty editions should stay as good as new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed you read Chaucer as it was originally written. I've tried and sadly failed. Harry Potter is a good series - I still read them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a Medieval Literature class in college one semester. I didn't realize we were reading everything as it was originally written until I looked at the textbook that first class and said, "Wait...what?"

      Delete
  10. I wish I had more time to read, let alone re-read. I used to read Watership Down every year,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's what happens when you're so in demand. =)

      I've been focusing more on reading new books and less on revisiting my favorites. Which makes me sad, because they're my favorites.

      Delete
  11. What a great post idea. I actually read War and Peace (not in Russian) just so that I could say I read it. And I haven't said I read it in something like 20 years. So, so much for pride, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read War and Peace in any language. Anna Karenina, yes, War and Peace no. But hearing that you've read it (for whatever the reason) is impressive.

      Delete
  12. This is hilarious. I totally don't know how to answer the greed one. I never pay attention to how much my books cost. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my leather bound Harry Potter books made that one easy.

      Delete
  13. What a fun post! And I'm like you--I have my set of books that are Not To Be Touched. I go out and buy paperback copies if I want to read them again. Totally normal, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is totally normal. Now I just need someone to convince my significant other of that...

      Delete
  14. My sloth is Moby Dick (even after I bought a larger copy, so it’d be easier to read).

    And my pride is… well, I don’t have much pride. : p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never even attempted Moby Dick.

      I don't think I have much pride left either.

      Delete
  15. what a great meme!
    i am so with you on stephanie plum series. i quit a while ago... but i love evanovich's style & new paranormal series
    and ditto on GOT, esp since they only covered half the last book on the tv series. i dont want to get too far ahead!

    happy thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a new paranormal series? I'll have to check that out.

      Delete
  16. Hey M.J.,

    What a definitive list you shared. As for most expensive book, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Although I do have a 1923 Dominion Educator encyclopaedia, which I know, isn't really a book, but is probably worth a lot of money.

    As for a cheaply priced book, if I could be bothered, it would be by an awful alleged writer named, Jeffrey Archer. Crap writer and crap politician.

    Happy Friday! Time zones :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun post! I'm a huge sucker for flawed characters, too. It simultaneously makes them more real and intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey! You mentioned me! Thanks!

    I, also, like this idea. I may have to think about doing it, but I'll mention my most expensive books in the mean time: signed copies of Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! I love John Green too :)

    Charl
    www.aplaceonthebookshelf.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! I love John Green too :)

    Charl
    www.aplaceonthebookshelf.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing above information! Get the Best Online Pet Classified Ads with Pet-Buy.com. Your Online Pets Ads is just a click away! Online Pet Classifieds, Free Pet Classifieds, Puppy Training, Pet Accessories, Dog Buy and sale with Pet-Buy.com.

    ReplyDelete