Monday, September 30, 2013

Missed It By That Much

It's the beginning of the week AND the end of September, so that means today I will be reviewing and setting weekly and monthly goals.

Can you stand the excitement? I know I can't.

First up are the monthly goals...

1. Walk/run at least two miles every day.

I had to change the wording of this goal to "walk/run at least sixty miles this month" because about a week and a half into September, I was sick a couple of days and unable to exercise. I hate not accomplishing my goals, so I cheated just a little so that I could make up the miles another day and still count the goal as reached. Anyway, as of this posting, I've logged a total of 61 miles, and I have a shift at The Store today which will probably net me about five miles.

2. Take donation piles to Goodwill.

Despite failing at this three weeks in a row, I pulled it off on that fourth week. Now I can start a new donation pile. Seriously...how did all this stuff get in my house?

3. Complete first draft of part two of Second Nature.

Did not make this. You already know the trouble I had with a certain chapter at the beginning and middle of this month so I won't rehash it all again, but it held me up. A lot. I made progress on this though, so that's something at least.

4. Complete workable draft of Effigy blurb.

Brace yourself...I actually did this. I still don't know if it's any good (and suspect that it isn't), but there is a workable draft in existence. Which means a final draft must be close behind. Right?

Goals for October:

1. Complete first draft of Part Two of Second Nature.

Part Three of Second Nature is my intended NaNoWriMo project this year, so it's very important that Part Two be finished by the end of October.

2. Finalize Effigy blurb.

Self explanatory, I think. I'm tired of it, so it's time to be finished with it. I'm pretty sure my poor brother feels the same way since he's probably tired of reading every draft I send him. He'll be happier than I'll be if I manage to pull off this goal.

3. Walk/run at least 50 miles this month.


And now for the weekly goals...

Last week's:

1. Chapters 18-20 in Second Nature.

Chapters Eighteen and Nineteen are done. Chapter Twenty didn't quite make it. There were seven scenes between these three chapters that needed to be finished, and as of this posting, all but two crossed the finish line. And I think I need to add another scene to Chapter Twenty. But I'm not sure yet. Anyway, I only get partial credit here.

This week's goals:

1. Finish reading Warlord by Angus Donald

It's taking me forever to get through this book, mostly because I've been spending a lot of time writing lately. And when that happens, it makes me happy, but still, I want to finish this book because I have several new releases coming out in October (Just One Year!, Perfect Ruin!, Fault Line!) that will be jumping immediately to the top of my TBR list, and I want to have this book out of the way when they get here.

2. Keep plugging away on Part Two of Second Nature.

Not exactly sure how I'll measure success on this goal, worded the way it is, but (again, as of this posting) Part Two's word count is sitting at 39,780. So I guess we'll see where it is this time next week. With any luck, it'll be higher.



That's going to do it for me today. What's on your agenda this week?

52 comments:

  1. Wow, you achieved almost everything! That is awesome. And I have no idea how that stuff gets into our house. I think it breeds when we're not looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what happens here, too. Because, really, it's getting out of control.

      Delete
  2. You probably won't believe this but I really like hearing about your goals - it helps me get going. :)

    One of my goals for this month is to get my collection of flash fiction ebook out - finally! Another is to decide on a project for NaNo - gulp!

    Oh, and I've got FAULT LINE on my TBR list, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's good that these goals are good for something.

      And FAULT LINE is going to be brilliant.

      Delete
  3. Great job on last month's goals!! I am particularly impressed with your fitness achievements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I really didn't think I'd make it.

      Delete
  4. Achieving goals - novel idea. I've personally never done it. I'm glad to see it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is possible. Of course, I always seem to perform best when my goals involve baked goods.

      Delete
  5. I list my goals too, don't know what I'd do without my list! Good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like listing my goals, but I love crossing them off.

      Delete
  6. Goodwill and the blurb? Double gold stars for the week!

    And October's the best time for walking, so enjoy those miles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not bad on your goals. I hear you about blurbs. Why are they so tough compared to a novel? That reminds me, I have one I need to look at again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I personally get irritated because if I could've told the story in 200 words, I would've done that already. I mean, I am incredibly lazy.

      Delete
  8. Well done on reaching those goals - switching the wording of the walking/running is an inspired way not to fail :-) Good luck with the blurb especially - I know how hard it can be, the longer you work at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like I'm just going in circles with this damn blurb thing. It's not been fun.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like you're doing a good job of sticking to your goals. especially Part Two of Second Nature. 40k is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40k is not bad. But it really needs to be higher.

      Delete
  10. Keep on keepin' on -- we do need to get our exercise. I've been trying to hit the gym three times a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about joining a gym, but I can't imagine that I'd actually go.

      Delete
  11. You are doing such an amazing job of organizing goals for yourself and meeting nearly all of them. I try to set goals, but I never do as well as I'd like and it makes me feel bad, so that's why I'm doubly impressed with your accomplishments. Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost never do as well as I like, but I keep at it...because I don't know what I would do with myself otherwise.

      Delete
  12. We need to do another Goodwill pile. Stuff just seems to multiply around our house and garage.

    And I'm working on blurbs too. I'm going to Amazon and seeing what other famous writers are doing. The Harry Potter blurbs are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even touched the garage or the basement yet. I really just need them to come to my house. They could take almost anything they wanted. Except the books.

      I've spent a lot of time reading the blurbs of all the fantasy novels in the house. They just make me realize how bad mine is. Good luck with yours!

      Delete
  13. You're doing wonderfully! I managed to get to Good Will too, but the my mom sent a package today. Thankfully most of it is edible! I'm starting my tour this week, but I'm also going over a WIP and making notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edible care packages are the best.

      I'll probably be saying this a lot over this week, but best of luck with your tour!

      Delete
  14. My goal is to get through my edits right so I'll have a little more time to keep up with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So progress is being made. That's a good thing. Especially on the Effigy blurb. I know that's been making you crazy. I wonder if you'd want to have other eyes on it. (My week at Unicorn Bell is fast approaching, and I need a topic of some sort. Helping you polish your blurb would be a great topic...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd be completely embarrassed if I showed anyone this blurb at this moment.

      Delete
  16. Great idea to reassess goals at the end of each month, and/or create new ones. I should do this next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works for me. Even if I fall short a lot and have to repeat goals. At least I get good at spelling them.

      Delete
  17. Your goals are great. It doesn't matter if you miss some of them. You're doing so well and getting heaps done. I need to set myself some achieveable goals too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure 'heaps' is the right word, but it sure sounds nice. =)

      Delete
  18. Maybe the stuff snuck in your house to hide. Good for you for getting that blurb down. Those are so no fun.

    Good luck with October. I'm sure you can get those goals done, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my neighbors are sneaking things into the house when I'm at work.

      Delete
  19. Good luck with your goals this week/month--I'm glad you're feeling better, at least! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow great going!

    My goals are mainly centered around staying sane in October and November. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have to worry about staying sane...I lost that battle years ago.

      Delete
  21. Congratulations with reaching so many of your goals! You did really well, I can't get myself to exercise though, even though I know I should. Well done, good-luck with achieving the new goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing much better with exercising the last couple of years. I've even gotten to the point where I (almost) upset when I can't work out.

      Delete
  22. I'm trying to run at least 3 days a week, and my legs are really sore from starting yesterday. I also have stuff I need to get done this month, but I'm not motivated... Blah. I better figure it out before NaNo!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have terrible shin splints, so I never end up running very far. But in my mind, I am a terrific runner.

      Delete
  23. I shall try to walk/run 2 miles per week. I think if I accomplish that, I shall be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walk an average of three miles per shift. And we're not even in the truly busy season yet.

      Delete
  24. Wow, good for you! You've really maintained your momentum! You inspire me :) I haven't done NaNo since 2010, but I'm thinking about it this year. I need to get cracking!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost NaNoWriMo last year. I'd really like to redeem myself.

      Delete
  25. Check you out and all your goals. I like to think that goals are indeed broken down into small, realistic, workable amounts. I shall cheer you on as you run by me.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll probably be more of a brisk walk than a run, but you never know.

      Delete
  26. excellent progress! and i like the variety, too! keep writing, youre doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Great' feels like an overstatement. My goals were a real broken record in September. I hope not to repeat that this month.

      Delete
  27. Congrats on all the goals you accomplished, and good luck with all the new ones! I'm especially impressed that you tackled the blurb--I always find those kinds of things so hard to write! Also, I totally know what you mean about donation piles. I've been going through my own stuff to give away, and it's like, sheesh, why'd I ever keep or even buy some of this stuff?!

    ReplyDelete