Monday, July 1, 2013

The Write Stuff

First of all...how is it July already? I mean, c'mon! It seems like just yesterday I was blogging about how I couldn't believe it was already June.

And now it's July and time for another installment of "How much did I NOT get done during the previous month"... otherwise known as Are You Writing Now? the writing support/accountability group hosted by Patricia Lynne.

Here are the goals I set for myself last month (If you remember, they were eerily similar to the goals I set in May. And April.):

1. Solve the major plot problem that is holding up all progress in Effigy's sequel, Second Nature.

Well, I don't know if that particular problem is solved, exactly, but I have a plan and there has been movement on it, so I am awarding myself partial credit. But the even better news is that I've since managed to develop a second major plot problem, and there's no solution in sight. Yet.

2. Seriously stop ignoring Effigy's blurb. You need something more than "It probably won't be the worst thing you've ever read!"

I didn't do this at all. I gave the blurb a passing thought a couple of times but mostly just ignored the damn thing all together. The brilliant Callie Leuck wrote for Effigy what is possibly the greatest blurb ever created (especially when you compare it to what I've actually written) but I think it may only be suitable/appropriate  to hang on my wall. Still, thanks for the inspiration, Callie!

Now, for the coming month, I am going to switch things up a bit because I desperately need new goals to look at. Sure, they're pretty much going to be the exact same thing as the above, just worded differently. Maybe I can trick myself...

1. Stupid blurb. You're making it much harder than it needs to be, so knock it off and knock this goal out.

2. Rough out a draft of Part Two of Second Nature. It doesn't have to be perfect beautiful prose or anything, just finished. You know where Part Two starts, and you know where you want it to end. So now figure out the stuff in the middle.

That's gonna do it for me today. As always, thanks for stopping to see what I'm rambling on about this time. Be sure to tune in again on Wednesday when the IWSG takes the stage.

Oh, and if you're participating in Camp NaNoWriMo this month, I wish you all the best with your goals. Write, write, write!

Happy Canada Day!

37 comments:

  1. Hopefully Callie gave you some ideas and inspiration to finally knock out that blurb. You can do it, MJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! It still makes me giggle. ^_^ I appreciate the language might not be appropriate for public consumption, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me giggle, too. Every time I glance at it. Which is often, because it makes me giggle.

      Delete
  3. Everything will come together. Don't worry. When you write your blurb for your next book, it will be easy-peasy.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it couldn't be much harder than this first blurb has been. Wait...I didn't just jinx myself, did I?

      Delete
  4. I always try to set goals and rejuvenate my writing at the start of each month, but things rarely change. I have set a goal to get my first draft done, hopefully it goes well.

    Good luck with your goals for this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here...yet I remain ever hopeful.

      Delete
  5. Hey, any forward movement toward your goals counts. :) Good job on what you got done and good luck with the new goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of goals look similar from week to week, month to month, too, but I think that's partly just the nature of long projects.

    And maybe skip the blurb as a goal this time around. You know as soon as you do, you'll come up with one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought the same about the blurb. But I'm not sure if I can fully put it out of mind.

      Delete
  7. Don't let that stupid blurb get the best of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stuck "Effigy" in the idea generator and it spit out >> "Why Effigy is more tempting than a Cinnabon." That's helpful, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. One author told me - to write a blurb: 1) turn on music with a heavy beat so loud it practically breaks your eardrums. 2) Bounce on your bed singing to the top of your lungs the entire song. 3) Do this three times. 4) Sit down and write a blurb which is completely insane and nobody in their right mind would use. 5) Use most of it.

    I take no responsibility for the outcome ;)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't get anything done this month, either. Bak to to goal setting drawing board for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that it is just amazing how much progress you actually make with your writing, even though it does not seem like it to you. I admire that, as I have set goals for myself at the beginning of the year and I have not even started to do anything about them. I am sure you will do great again this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe not great, but I might do all right.

      Delete
  12. Wait! I want to see Callie's thing! Why don't we get to see it? Unfair! I cry foul! And fowl! And any other bird thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As awesome as it is, I feel it may only be suitable for display on my storyboard.

      Delete
  13. Just think how great you'll feel when you get that blurb done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a major weight has been lifted off my shoulders, that's for sure.

      Delete
  14. Yes. You really should get to work on Effigy for Pete's sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Effigy is with the proofreader. I just need to write a blurb while I wait.

      Delete
  15. Hola to all my Canadian amigos!

    So, I was thinking if the blurb is such a mental issue, why not stick it in the pantry for a month or two :)

    Or perhaps try writing a blurb or two for well-known books and see if that stimulates the blurbitivity section of your frontal lobe cortex thingy.

    GOOD LUCK :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your #1 sounds just like me :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the blurb. I keep seeing things online about blurbs, but I ignore them because I'm not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blurbs are evil aren't they. Last blurb I attempted, I tweeted a summary of the story and through that managed to hash out a half way decent blurb. Good luck with your new... kinda new... newish... good luck with your goals! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck wrestling those pesky goals into the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I blame June for moving by too quickly. How did this happen? July better behave itself so we can both get things done. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So you didn't iron out your plot problems, but you're working on it and that's what matters. It takes me a while to figure those things out.

    Good luck figuring out the middle of part two, those are always difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have you let a second pair of eyes take a look at your blurb? Maybe you should bounce some ideas around with someone...never know, it could help. (:

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some goals are just trickier to accomplish than others. Good luck finally tackling these in July--hope it comes more smoothly to you, now that you've reworded them! ;)

    ReplyDelete