Wednesday, June 19, 2013

It's Raining Men (of Foxwick)

Today on My Pet Blog, we are celebrating Cherie Reich's latest release, Men of Foxwick. 

Check out that gorgeous cover art!

This fantasy short story collection features five men from the Kingdom of Foxwick.

A blind teen seeks a place in the kingdom. A dragon seer journeys to Wintermill to spy on the queen. A sword master's worst fear comes true when he fails to protect the royal family. A king falls in love with an herb witch, but will she feel the same way? A hunter will rise to the challenge to hunt down a man-eating monster.

Short stories in this collection: Blind Scribe, Dragon Spy, Sword Master, Courting Magic, and Monster Hunter.


An Excerpt from "Blind Scribe" in Men of Foxwick

Dallan counted his steps as his mama and he weaved through the busy streets of Foxwick. Twenty-six, twenty-seven. They’d passed the fruit stand and were now farther into Foxwick than he’d ever been in his fifteen summers. People, just moving shadows, brushed against his shoulder. He scrunched toward Mama to make his lanky frame smaller. The odor of sweat and manure combated the more pleasant scents of flowers and baking bread. A bead of sweat trickled into his hairline, and he longed for the comfort of their small house.

“Keep up, Dallan.” Mama’s skirts brushed against his pants’ legs.

“Where are you taking me?” He clung to her arm and dragged his feet. They’d gone too far. The shadows darkened, as if the sun had slipped behind the horizon, and he had no clue where he was now.

She halted mid-step before yanking him forward. “I do not wish to do this, but we have little c-choice.”

“Do what, Mama?” He wanted to dig his heels into the pavement and halt their progress. Had she decided he was more trouble than he was worth? Times were tough, and he was such little help. He tried to plow straight—despite counting his steps and placing one foot in front of the other—but he often tripped over the rocky soil. He tried cooking, but he couldn’t even boil water without scorching it. Though he wasn’t too bad as a tailor because he could count stitches and feel where he needed to go, he still needed guidance.

She pulled him closer. Rough stone rubbed against his arm through his thin shirt. A sob hitched in Mama’s throat as she emitted a mouse-like squeak. She embraced him tightly and then smoothed his damp hair from his face. “My sweet boy, I’m so, so sorry.”

“What’s wrong?” His heart pounded like a horse galloping across an open field, each hoof beating the ground in a frantic rhythm.

§§§

To purchase Men of FoxwickAmazon / Amazon UK / Smashwords / Kobo / Nook

About the Author: A self-proclaimed bookworm, Cherie Reich is a speculative fiction writer, freelance editor, book blogger, and library assistant living in Virginia. Her short stories have appeared in magazines and anthologies, and her books include the horror series Nightmare, a space fantasy trilogy titled Gravity, and a fantasy series The Foxwick Chronicles. She is Vice President of Valley Writers and a member of the Virginia Writers Club and Untethered Realms.

Her debut YA Epic Fantasy novel Reborn, book one in The Fate Challenges, will be released on May 23, 2014.

For more information, please visit Cherie’s website and blog.

33 comments:

  1. This book sounds fantastic! Such a pretty cover, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Cherie!
    How happy would you be if it were raining men?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it might depend upon who the men were, but I don't think I would be very happy if it were raining men. That would lead me to believe something very wrong was going on.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for featuring Men of Foxwick today! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of that song when I think of "Men of Foxwick." Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to do it any time.

      And that song's been stuck in my head all day long.

      Delete
  4. I snorted with laughter at your title! Awesome. Cherie's collection of stories is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too. M.J. created the best title. :)

      Thanks, Christine!

      Delete
  5. Isn't there a song about it raining men? Makes me feel like dancing :) Yay for Cherie! I'm seeing Men of Foxwick all over the blogoverse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is, indeed, a song. And I have been dancing around to it most of the day.

      And Cherie is certainly taking the blogosphere by storm.

      Delete
    2. Hehe! Yes, there is a song. ;) And thank you, Gwen!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great collection of shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've very much enjoyed what I've read so far, and I can't imagine that'll change. They're great stories.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Emily! I hope people enjoy the stories. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm already worried about Dallan! This sounds great! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, I have finally got here to grace you with one of my eagerly anticipated comments.

    Very good of you to share Cherie's latest release. Always good to be released. Nice to note a collection of shorts. I have a collection of shorts and with the better weather, I shall be showing off my legs. Gosh.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great excerpt, Cherie! So compelling! Congratulations on your release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, M.J.! I hope New Hampshire is as beautiful as Vermont today.

    I hope you'll consider joining my bloggers' book club. Details are here: http://armchairsquid.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-cephalopod-coffeehouse-june-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very excited to read this book. I hope to get to it soon. So much stuff to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it, Michael!

      Delete
  12. SHe really has great covers. I'm dying to read some of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, Cherie! Great excerpt and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that excerpt is killing me!!! What is she doing! Don't leave him!!!

    Congrats Cherie, I do enjoy your writing. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! You'll just have to see the sample on Amazon to find out a tiny bit more. ;) Thank you, Elise!

      Delete
  15. so happy for cherie! she's doing great, with so much writing out there!

    ReplyDelete