Monday, May 13, 2013

Back In Black

Hey, did y'all know I had a blog? It's been so long since I've paid attention to it, I'm a little surprised to find that it's still here and that it hasn't been overtaken by...I don't know—Tribbles or Devil's Snare or dust bunnies or something.

I didn't really intend to ignore it, but that's how it goes sometimes. I had only intended to take that one weekend away, but life became a little more...interesting than usual and a longer absence became necessary. But things have since calmed down so when I next ignore this blog, it'll be because of good old fashioned laziness.

I can't wait.

Anyway, I'm now super far behind on my normal monthly posts so I'll spending this week getting caught up. First up is Patrica Lynne's Are You Writing Now? group.

Participants set a list of goals to complete each month and at the end of the month, we revisit these goals and see where we ended up with them. April was my first month back after an extended absence (Apparently, this is becoming an alarming trend with me. Maybe I should set a goal to end that.) and here I am, late with my May posting. I shall do better in June. Probably.

Here are the goals I set in April:

1. Find a copyeditor/proofreader type person for Effigy. I have finished with my edits, and I am ready to move forward. I think.

Miraculously, I actually pulled this off. It feels weird to have made actual progress on something. Let the ritual worrying begin! (Unless Heather M. Gardner is reading this. Then I'm not worrying. Not at all.)

2. Dig out Effigy's blurb and stop ignoring it. It still needs to be shortened. And, you know, finished. Which, I realize, will make that whole 'shortening' part more difficult, but hey, who doesn't love a challenge?

Um...I can only give myself partial credit on this one. I did dig out the blurb. And I even looked at it before I made a face and shoved it into a pocket in my notebook. So yeah. The blurb remains a work-in-progress.

3. Solve the major plot problem that is holding up all progress on Effigy's sequel, Second Nature.

Well, I'm not quite sure how to score this. When I wrote this goal back at the beginning of April, I had one particular scene in mind that I thought was causing all the hold-up and I thought if I solved the problem of that scene, that everything else would just fall into place. So I solved the problem of that one particular scene and it...well, nothing else fell into place. Nothing else even came close. Something's still not right and I haven't worked out what yet. I guess that means I can't count this one as a win.

And now here are my goals for May. Or, you know, what's left of it...

1. Solve the major plot problem that is holding up all progress on Effigy's sequel, Second Nature. Or die trying. Well, maybe not die per say. Still, stop watching Scandal and get that plot hammered out.

2. Seriously stop ignoring Effigy's blurb. You need something more than "It probably won't be the worst thing you've ever read!"

Déjà vu, anyone?

Oh, and one thing more before I possibly disappear into the ether again. I just wanted to thank everyone who stopped by my IWSG post at the beginning of this month and offered such kind words and advice. I know I utterly failed at responding to anything, but your help was much appreciated.

And....I'm a liar because I just thought of one more thing to share. Rumor has it that Tara Tyler from Tara Tyler Talks will be revealing the cover of her soon-to-be-released novel, Pop Travel today. Be sure to head to her site and check it out.

Happy Monday, everyone. I hope you have a great week.


51 comments:

  1. Congrats on finding a proofreader! Good luck accomplishing your other goals this month! (Especially the blurb. I never enjoy working on my own, either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And yeah, I'm not enjoying the blurb process very much either. But I'll work it out eventually.

      Delete
  2. It's good that you got back before the tumbleweeds started rolling through! I remain impressed by your ability to set goals, let alone reach them. I just have the random to-do lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have those, too. Occasionally I even get to cross things off them.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're back! :)

    And hey, can I borrow that blurb? It sounds very familiar....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can absolutely borrow that blurb. =)

      Delete
  4. Hey, even lazy foot-dragging can be considered forward progress from the right angle. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's the right angle that keeps giving me trouble...

      Delete
  5. I think your blurb is hilarious!
    Heather will do an awesome job.
    And glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex.

      Heather isn't proofreading for me, just trying to keep me from being ridiculous. More ridiculous? But so far it's working, so she is doing an awesome job.

      Delete
  6. You're damn right I'm reading this!

    Worrying? Just cut that out!

    You have made progress. Don't stop now. Pull that blurb out and show it who's boss!

    Now, plot problems. I get that. I'm a little on the ropes myself BUT we will figure it out.

    It's a moral imperative.

    Thanks for getting AC/DC stuck in my head!

    I believe in you!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no worrying here. Just us calm and rational people, moving forward and making progress. And watching the entire works of Joss Whedon.

      Delete
  7. I hate plot problems! You have my sympathies. I'm ironing out some of those as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I don't mind plot problems because I like puzzling it out, but this is proving to be more difficult than is appreciated. So I hope the ironing goes smoothly for you.

      Delete
  8. Some goals are better than none! I finally dove into writing the blurb for my one WIP, and while I moaned and complained, it turned out to not be that hard. You can do it!!!!

    Patricia Lynne - #AYWN? Co-founder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'm making it a lot harder than it needs to be. I just really need to buckle down and make myself do it.

      Delete
  9. Since your blog won't update to my feed anymore, I'm always left wondering who's responsible for your absences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day job gets most of the blame for this latest absence. Not all, but most.

      Delete
    2. Well, no, I meant I don't know if I'm just not seeing your posts or if you're not posting. Because I don't always remember to look outside of my feed.

      Delete
  10. Well I see I'm not the only one with blog neglect. lol. Sometimes it's just too much. Got some great goals there! Sending you many creative and productive vibes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never say no to creative and productive vibes. =)

      Delete
  11. Hey I took a week's break that ended up being two months a little bit back so I understand that one.

    Good luck on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anytime you can check off something on your list counts as a good day in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy crossing stuff off my list. It's such a good feeling.

      Delete
  13. Good luck with your goals! And I know you can get Effigy's book description done soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. And I hope you're right. =)

      Delete
  14. Another set of eyeballs might help with the plot problem. Or at least keep you from going insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did recruit my brother to help, but I feel bad about taking up his time. I don't want him to join some kind of writer protection program, you know?

      Delete
  15. Good luck! Attack those goals. I tend to ignore blurbs too. I don't know why. I can write a novel, but it seems frightening to write a few lines of a blurb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get frustrated and end up yelling something like, "If I could've written this story in 200 words, I would've done that to begin with!"

      But eventually, I'll suck it up and get on with it.

      Delete
  16. Awesome you're moving forward with Effigy! I wish I could say the same with my craptastic ms, but I can't seem to get out of this last round of edits. I just keep thinking about all the changes I want to make. Anyway, hive five to you and Effigy! Woot! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elise. Just think, as soon as the proofreader's done, I'll be back in the land of the endless edits.

      Delete
  17. Laziness is always the best reason to neglect a blog (a lot better than anything "interesting"). It looks like you made good progress with your books last much, even if it wasn't as much as you wanted. Keep up the good work! Blurbs suck, but you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always do prefer laziness over interesting. Except in the case of blurb writing. Then I need high octane excitement. Or something.

      Delete
  18. You have a blog? I don't know anything about people who need proof about my reading, but hey, well done to you :)

    I only just found out what a blurb is and you did well, know that I know what a blurb is...

    I'm going now.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, I do have a blog. It came as a surprise to me, too.

      Delete
  19. You were gone? I seem to recall you finishing up April strong. What's a week or two? That's not bad at all.

    I was having plot issues myself. It turned out that I had imagined something wrong at the beginning, and once I fixed that one issue, things fell into place. So, perhaps you're not going back far enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have considered that, but I really don't think that's it because I am very happy (or as happy as I ever get) with everything from the start of this book right up to the point where I think things stop working.

      But maybe I'm just deluding myself. Again. Still.

      Delete
  20. Hey,

    Welcome back - I think.

    I mean, I *hope* you're back to stay, but I absolutely know - and understand - the reasons to fade away - for just a while.

    GOOD LUCK with all of May's goals and "May the source be with you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be around for a while. Of course I thought that last time, too...

      Delete
  21. you needed a break after a to z, we all did! i'm still catching up.
    and my offer to help with your blurb is still open, i love hacking up grandiose summaries into itty bitty hookers! ha ha!

    and danka for the shout out! hope your offer to help with my blog tour still stands! when MJ speaks, the blogworld listens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blogworld listens? I thought it was more the blogworld looks around and says, "hey, did y'all hear something?"

      But I'm happy to help with your blog tour. Just tell me what you need and when. =)

      Delete
  22. Taking a thing out and making a face at it is *totally* progress. Totes. Kudos to you for making goals, even if the end results don't fit the preliminary plans. I've found I do better when I make plans/lists, yet don't seem to have the wherewithal to make these regularly. It's sometimes like I live in a fog. Bah.
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I didn't have to make the face. I didn't have to exercise those facial muscles.

      Delete
  23. "So I solved the problem of that one particular scene and it...well, nothing else fell into place." Been there many a time. Best of luck with your goals for this month!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm writing a blurb at the moment - it is not fun. And I hope you figure out the plot problem - it's annoying when it all looks good but you know there's something more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, you have completed quite a few things on your list. (yes I'm including taking out the blurb, and putting it away again, at least you looked lol). wishing you the best with your new goals. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think that you are so awesome for setting monthly goals and then going after them. That is amazing dedication. I am just too damn lazy, but I am cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Major plot problems......a burr under many a writers saddle! :)

    ReplyDelete