Saturday, April 27, 2013

xkcd

Well, we're in the home stretch of the A to Z challenge.

Today I thought I'd talk about xkcd, the online comic strip featuring stick figures and geek humor. Sadly, I don't understand a lot of the science-centered strips because my science smarts tops out at Mr. Wizard (or Bill Nye the Science Guy if you're too young to know who Mr. Wizard is. And if you are don't tell me.), but fortunately for people like me, there's a website called explain xkcd which does just as its title suggests: provides detailed explanations for those in need.

But fortunately, there have been several strips for which I do not require an explanation. They're the pop culture offerings. There was an amazing strip one day featuring Movie Narrative Charts from Lord of the Rings and Star Wars and Jurassic Park and a couple other films. I really want to post it here, but this little blog would not do it any justice because it's the kind of thing that requires a large screen and time to peruse it.

This one is my absolute favorite:





And one last thing before I go...when I was struggling to think of a post for today, The Man, in his helpful manner, suggested the song Xanadu by his favorite band Rush. So here in his honor is the video (please note it's super long):



22 comments:

  1. Hugs and chocolate to you. I Google just about everything, too.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. No explanation needed. I would pay money to watch that movie.

    Great song.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine I could spend an entire day just watching that movie in a theater over and over and over again.

      Delete
  3. I would watch that!
    And EXCELLENT music choice today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Did you have the Supermarket Science book? Just about every science fair project I ever did came from a Mr. Wizard book.

      Delete
  5. I see those comics popping up everywhere, but I've never gone to the website to see them. Just goes to show that there's so much out there that we'll never fully scratch the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's my kind of movie. Oh yeah! Thank goodness that awesome Canadian band, Rush, wasn't doing "Xanadu" as in that song from the movie "Xanadu" 'Xanadon't', more like!

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered xkcd by accident when looking for an image for "metaphor," and was instantly taken by how smart their comics are.

    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/analogies.png

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy xkcd comics when I see them. I like the little commentary you get when you hoover your arrow over the comic too. There's always something funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that was funny, thanks for sharing in your X post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd stand in line for that movie. Love xkcd... even if I can't seem to type it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. xkcd - a hilarious web site if there ever was one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, I've seen that one before. I should visit that site more often, but, then, I'd have to quit reading other people's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one brings back memories. I started reading XKCD pretty early. It was one of the first webcomics I read regularly. I remember seeing the River Tam comic before I had seen Firefly, so I didn't get the reference, but back then there were a lot of XKCD references I didn't get. That is... not the case anymore. I suppose I've become more of a nerd? When I finally saw Firefly and saw River beat people up, it clicked ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha, that comic strip is awesome! Even made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That comic is so funny; I don't ususally remember to read it unless my husband points out a particularly funny one, and then I wonder, why aren't I reading this every week!

    ReplyDelete