Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Utensils (The Writing Kind)


Once again, the A to Z Challenge has turned into a recitation of my favorite things. (Thank goodness I like a lot of things) I apologize if I'm getting repetitive and boring. I promise tomorrow will not be a list of my favorite anything.

Well, probably not anyway.

As I have already discussed my obsession with notebooks, I thought I'd share my preferences in writing utensils as pens and paper go hand in hand. (And I had no other idea for U-Day.)

This list changes from time to time as I'm always on the hunt for a new pen. I can't make a trip to an office supply story without spending entirely too much time browsing the pen aisle, just to see what's new.

Here are my current faves (see if you can spot the trend):


10. Bathtub markers. Perfect for recording shower epiphanies.
However, they will turn your grout fun colors, so be prepared to scrub the walls.

9. Pilot Varsity fountain pens. Not only do they make your handwriting
look all lovely and fancy, they also come in purple and turquoise!


8. Papermate Silk 1.6B click top pens. They're only available in blue and black,
but they're my brainstorm scribbling pens of choice. (Yes, I have a different pen
for brainstorming. And this is it.) One drawback is that it's prone to leaking,
but I will gladly suffer blue hands for a great idea.

7. Pilot Precise V5 pens. Smooth writing and they're available in
a variety of colors including...purple and turquoise.

6. Uni-Ball Vision. Very vibrant colors. Purple and pink and a very pretty blue.

5. Zebra F-301 click top pen. They're not available in purple or turquoise, but you can get them in
blue, black, green and red. I know this is weird, but I like the red ones for editing purposes, but don't care for
the other colors. Unfortunately, you can only buy the red ones as part of a set.
They're a good size for writing notes in margins, and the click top is perfect for those pensive moments.
Not that I ever have those, of course.


4. Uni-Ball Signo click top pens. I found these at the cash register at Staples. They're
black ink infused with another color. It sounded cool, so I bought purple and teal.
Turns out, they are pretty cool. They write nice, and the ink looks awesome.

3. Santoro Tutti Cuti "Hippy Chick" pen. I've been obsessed with this pen since
I came across it in 2009. I found it in The Store one afternoon (abandoned by
a co-worker) and wrote some damn awesome scenes with it that November.
It's since run out of ink, and I can't find any replacements anywhere.
Not even a Google search has turned up any options. But I still keep the pen.
Because I'm a freak like that.

2. Sharpie Fine Point pens. Available in a variety of colors (including purple!).
They write nicely, make your handwriting look neat. I use these as my
storyboard calendar pens.


1. Pilot G-2 clicky top gel pens. They write beautifully, always make my
handwriting look great, and come in purple and teal. And, you know,
other colors. Black, blue, red, orange. But I like the purple and teal best.


So, pen companies, let this be a lesson to you. Want me to buy your product? Make it available in purple or turquoise ink. Or maybe a purple-infused turquoise ink. Oh, that would be so cool. I really hope someone does that someday.

But that's enough from me for one day (and possibly longer.). Let's hear from you. Do you have any favorite writing utensils? What's your favorite ink color? 

52 comments:

  1. I love the G2 and use it every day. I prefer green but they don't make it in the bold tip. The uni-Ball Signo from Staples sounds cool. Two inks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very cool. Black ink infused with another color. When I first tried them out, it didn't look any different than plain old black ink, but when one has better light, it looks awesome. And I probably spend too much time now looking at it.

      Delete
  2. Man, I just want a pen that writes when I want it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect most people feel that way. I'm a freak. I know it.

      Delete
  3. I love your collection of pens. Purple is my favourite writing colour. I just have a hard time finding purple pens on their own rather than in packs full of other colours I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have that same problem. I have a box of pens in my closet that are all just the colors I didn't like but had to buy in order to get to the pretty colors.

      If I were still teaching, those are the ones I'd bring to school for my students to steal.

      Delete
  4. I love the precise V5 pens. My favorite probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been in my top ten for a while. They get bumped for the new flashier pens a lot, but they never disappear from the list entirely.

      Delete
  5. Black ink. Beyond that, I have no idea of the brand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told Andrew, I'm sure most people don't.

      Delete
  6. I love a good purple pen. :) I have a waterproof notebook my husband got me one year but those bathtub markers sound like fun. Although, maybe not for the one who has to clean the shower...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clean the shower. And it's occasionally a lot of scrubbing, but it's worth it to get those ideas recorded.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of a waterproof marker! I have the best ideas while I'm in the shower. Although, staining the grout doesn't seem like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that part is not fun, but getting ideas written down is. =)

      Delete
  8. I'd never even heard of bath tub markers. I often go take a shower specifically so I can think about what I'm going to write next. Totally need to get some of those! :D Great post. Lots of fun! And thanks for stopping by mine yesterday. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The markers are for kids to play with when they're in the bath. I found mine in the bath/soap aisle of Large Mart.

      Delete
  9. Bathtub markers. LOL! I could use my kid's bath paint. Never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bath paint. I'll have to look in to that.

      Delete
  10. I do love the Uniball's and Pilot G2's. The bath markers look fun, too. I am completed addicted to composition notebooks. Were those on your list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a nice collection of composition notebooks, but my current favorites are little spiral ones from Staples.

      Delete
  11. Those all look like awesome pens! My favorite would have to be Pentel's Energel series. :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think I have some of those somewhere. I'll have to look.

      Delete
  12. I like using the Papermate Silk because of the padding at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love pens too! I used to swear by my space pen cuz i could write with it from any angle, but it became inconvenient having to always order refills. SO now I use whatever's nearby.
    Great idea with the bath pens tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space pen, huh? Does it come in purple?

      Delete
  14. Bathtub markers....whaaaaat? Where have they been all my life???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the bath aisle at your local big box store.

      Delete
  15. You like a lot of pens! I myself prefer the Micron 005, with archival ink, which is really more of a drawing pen. But it's good for both. I like the extra fine point of the 005 but most people find it too small. Oh, and it does come in purple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall research this pen immediately.

      Delete
  16. Bathtub markers have gotta be the best!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have a favorite writing utensil. I try to avoid such things because in the event I lose or break my favorite whatever, it causes much stress. Therefore, I just grab whatever is closest to me for writing, any kind of pen, usually some kind of ballpoint, but for some reason I've got a 2H pencil looking at me. Then sometimes my kids leave their crayons on my desk, anything is game. The only favorite item I have is a specific bookmark. I can't read a book without it. Well, I can but it's detracting when I don't have it. For some reason this bookmark acts like a security blanket when I read. Oh, look at that, time for my meds. (;

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Pilot V7/V5 pens. They're my absolute favorites--and while it's not too exciting, I love the look of black ink against white paper.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love gel pens. I have some ink wells and pens left over from high school. I keep thinking about how I need to break them out and write with them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have no idea how much I LOVE this blog post. I love pens. And I always have to have the right one to write in my notebooks with. And now I have quite a few to add to my list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love my BIC pens and my highlighter. Hey! The first pens..are they made of soap?

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not made of soap. I think you can get bathtub crayons that are made of soap though.

      Delete
  22. I like a slightly dulled pencil myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mechanical pencils, but if I'm using the regular kind, I like them to be slightly dulled as well.

      Delete
  23. I always get overwhelmed at Staples, so I just end up buying pack that has the most pens. They usually end up being the BIC red ones, which actually aren't all that fantastic. ;) It's a superstition, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of those around too. They make pretty decent brainstorming pens, I find.

      Delete
  24. What you should do with the colors of pen you don't like is to hold a giveaway on the blog.

    I'm a bit of a pen freak, too. My favorite pen isn't mine. It was a giveaway by some company (as a promotion), and it has a bamboo barrel. I would steal it from its owner (my mother), but it's her favorite too, and she would notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about a pen giveaway, but figured no one would be interested.

      I have this set of recycled pens (as in pens made from recycled materials not plastic, they're like wood or something) that I received as a reward for all my hard work at The Store. I have yet to use them.

      Delete
    2. I would be interested, see my reply, I'm a penaholic...seriously...give me the PENS and no one will get hurt...

      Delete
  25. Wow, you're a real pen aficionado. I'm more for standard black for pens, but I also enjoy highlighting things. There's a color for every subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Aficionado" is a very nice way of putting it.

      I love highlighters, too. I had a freak-out at the start of the year when my favorite highlighters were no longer available because they were no longer made. I found replacements, of course, but I wasn't happy about having to switch. Me = Freak.

      Delete
  26. I use a basic Papermate, but it has to be blue.

    Also, I asked about pens once on a forum, and you might like checking out the replies.

    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6701&highlight=papermate

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holy crap, M.J.!
    I thought I had an office supply problem.

    I do love purple pens.

    My current pen is the Ink Joy but my hands have all kinds of issues so I would rather these were thicker pens to hold on to.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously, how could you do this to me, I LOVE pens, I've two cups and one can full of pens, no matter where you look in my house there are pens, bic pens, uniball pens, novelty pens (when on hols can't help myself, I've witches, brooms, pumpkins, dum dum...) I mean seriously, is there a pen anonymous, cause I need to join lol. Thanks for the post, now just going to wipe the drool off the keyboard before the laptop blows up...:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This makes me want to go out and buy some new pens. For some reason I've only got a collection of the random ones my husband and I have "found" in various locations.

    I feel like a bit of an addict when I got into a stationary store: I want to buy everything!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love pens and I totally want a fountain pen now.

    ReplyDelete