Monday, April 22, 2013

Sherlock

Today I thought I'd gush a little about my favorite show not created by Joss Whedon. It's (in case the title of this post and the picture to the left didn't already give it away...) Sherlock.

If you're unfamiliar with the show, this is an update of the classic Sherlock Holmes character which finds the famous detective and his partner Watson solving crimes in modern day London (or wherever they happen to travel).

And as quality writing and characters I care about are essential to getting me to watch a show, it should come as no surprise that Sherlock is so well written that I never fail to scribble down lines from every episode, and it's so well acted that I now have a huge crush on both Benedict Cumberbatch (who, perhaps, has the greatest name of time) and Martin Freeman.

And if I don't get the third season soon, I just might cry.

Here are some of my favorite lines/exchanges from the first two seasons:

Sherlock: I'm not a psychopath, Anderson. I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research.

Sherlock: Look at you lot. You're all so vacant. Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

Sherlock: Why have I got this blanket? They keep putting this blanket on me.
Lestrade: Yeah, it's for shock.
Sherlock: I'm not in shock.
Lestrade: Yeah, but some of the guys wanted to take photographs.

Sherlock: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Sherlock: Yes, punch me in the face. Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.

Watson: You're just showing off.
Sherlock: Well of course. I am a show off. It's what we do.

Sherlock: I may be on the side of angels, but don't for one second think that I'm one of them.

And last but not least, this video:




Happy Monday, all!

40 comments:

  1. Love the subtext. And I got to make that angels one into one long bumper sticker. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check CafePress.com. Last I looked, they had a nice selection of Sherlock themed stickers. I don't know if they have the angel one, though.

      Delete
  2. I love Sherlock, but, then, it's written by Steve Moffat, who may be the greatest television writer around, right now. Have you seen Jekyll, also written by him? If you haven't, you should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jekyll is on my Netflix list. I haven't watched it yet, but I'll stop watching Firefly and Sherlock reruns long enough one day to check it out. Probably.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sherlock. Intelligent tv writing which reminds me of The West Wing, not for subject matter, but for not insulting the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen this one, have you seen Elementary? I am obsessed with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made it through very few episodes of Elementary. I want to like it, I really do, but I always end up getting so...bored. I have written down a few lines from what I've seen though.

      Delete
  5. I've recently been thinking that Benedict Cumberbatch sounds like he should be a member of the Holmes family with a name like that.

    "Ah Mycroft, Sherlock, you remember your cousin Benedict Cumberbatch don't you?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. This BBC version of Sherlock is brilliant. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Sherlock. It's so good. I *think* they're filming the third series at the moment. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Monday to you too from a fellow A to Z blogger just stopping by to say HI

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen this show yet. I've heard about it. Especially since the one guy is going to be Khan. I just might have to pick up the DVD's.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both a part of the Hobbit movies.

      Delete
  10. Fantastic show. And I want season three!! I've watched the first two twice already and if I'm forced to watch a third time I swear I will....well, I"ll just watch it again, but I'd really like some new episodes. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want new episodes, too. Love the six I have, but I will always want more.

      Delete
  11. Favorite show NOT created by Joss Whedon...I couldn't have described that better. And I too love Sherlock. The show and the character both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen this show. Great lines. Especially the sociopath one.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds funny. I've never seen that show, but then I don't watch a lot of TV.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't watched the show, but their bantering sounds entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext." LOL! haven't seen this series yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to like it when I do. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's possibly my favorite line of the entire series thus far.

      Delete
  16. I adore this series, but haven't seen the last episode of the second season. Really need to find it. Sigh.

    BUT I read yesterday that the third season was partially shot with the second, so it shouldn't be too long. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you really, really need to find the last episode of the third season. It was brilliant.

      Delete
  17. Absolutely fantastic series. Just imagine if Joss wrote for it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My head just exploded with happiness.

      Delete
  18. So many shows I have to get caught up on. I just cant keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one I keep missing. I've seen bits of it. And all I hear about it are raves. (But I want to see all of them. In order. And until I can catch them all in order, I'm not going to do it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would definitely recommend watching them in order. I don't know if you have Netflix or Amazon instant viewing, but they're all available there.

      Delete
  20. So many great shows, so little time. This sounds great though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE THAT SHOW!!! --But seriously, are they every going to continue it? That cliff hanger was just cruel. CRUEL I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Unfortunately, I've never seen that show but instead I'm in love with the other Sherlock show Elementary. Really enjoy what they did with Watson in that show.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've not seen this show, but loved the clip. I do like me some clever Holmes though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What fun....

    Great banter between the characters. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this show to. And I can't wait to see Bededict Cumberbatch in the new Star Trek. That's an avalanche of squeeing love just waiting to happen for me. It's building even as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do like the series, re - showing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this show. And yes -- total crush on both of them, but more on Benedict Cumberbatch because he also played Stephen Hawking and the combination of a man that sexy playing both Sherlock Holmes and Stephen Hawking just makes my geeky little brain go all melty.

    ReplyDelete