Saturday, April 20, 2013

Reviews


Usually at the start of each month, I post a list of reviews I've written for the books I read during the previous month. But because of the A to Z challenge, I didn't post my March reviews. Until today.

(cue dramatic music)

So, without further ado, here are the books I read last month and what I thought of them...

Just In Case- Meg Rosoff- This story is about a teenage boy who becomes convinced he is doomed. That Fate is out to get him so he changes his identity in hopes of avoiding catastrophe. He’s not all that successful. I’ve read a few of her books now, and they’re always interesting. There are parts that I love and parts I don’t love, but they never fail to make me go “Huh. Well, that’s interesting.” She’s a cool writer; she really is.

Robert B. Parker’s Lullabye- Ace Atkins- The first Spenser novel not written by Robert B. Parker. I put off reading this because I was very worried that I wouldn’t like it. I read the first Jesse Stone mystery that wasn’t written by Parker, and I didn’t love it. I didn’t even really like it all that much, so I was hesitant because I didn’t want the same thing to happen here. Well, I'm happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was very good, and there were only a few moments when I thought “Not Parker.” There is a lot to like in this book, and I am interested to see what Atkins will do next.

Shatter Me- Tahereh Mafi- An interesting (Hmmm. I seem to be using that word a lot this time around) read that really captivated me for the first 190 or so pages. She has a metaphor-heavy and comma-lite writing style that I didn’t mind and I thought worked pretty well in the first 190 or so pages. But after that, I was less enthralled with the story, and the further I got into it after that, I became even less so. The story became tiring and tedious. And by the end, I was just downright irritated. That said, I'm sure I'll eventually read the rest of the series. Because I'm a freak like that.

The Search- Nora Roberts- #2 Boss lent this to me after she found out that I do a search & rescue class with my dogs. She thought I’d love it. I didn’t. There were a few scenes in which canine search & rescue scenarios took place, and those were interesting, but the bulk of the book—in particular the romance part—bored the life out of me. I didn’t care for either of the two main characters, especially the male lead. I didn’t know why anyone would want to be in a relationship with him. Sure, take him home and enjoy some hot sex on the dining room table, but I didn’t know why the MC would want to marry him which is (spoiler alert!) how the book ends. I mean, I’m not a girly girl by any means, but even I would’ve scoffed at that proposal. And I felt bad for his dog. I wanted to track down this fictional character and take his dog away from him and bring him into a home where he’d actually be loved and wanted. There were also way too many pages devoted to dog training classes. I love going to dog training classes and the approach presented in this book is pretty similar to my own training philosophies, but the book wasn’t about training really. And there was so much time spent discussing the bad habits of bad dogs and the reasons why these habits had been developed (owner negligence and ignorance) and whatnot and while they were…not wrong, they didn’t further the plot or really add to the story. They just added to the word count.
Lovely, Dark and Deep- AmyMcNamara- I loved how this story began and I was so enthralled by the first three hundred pages or so because it was beautifully written and the characters engaging, but the ending (or lack thereof) disappointed me. I wasn't expecting it to be fully resolved or anything—in fact I would've been pissed if it had—but I did expect the main character to be more on a path toward resolution than she was.
If You Find Me- Emily Murdoch- Some books you read and when you finish them, you kind of shrug and say “Great. What’s next?” Then there are the books that stay with you for hours or days or even longer, after you’ve finished them, and you can feel them sitting there inside you. This book is the latter. I read it in one sitting. I read it in about four hours because I couldn’t stop reading it. It’s really beautifully done. It broke my heart and made me cry, and even now, after the reading as come to an end, I still get teary-eyed thinking about it. Damn, I love it when a book does that.
§§§
That's going to do it for me today...Read anything good lately? 

23 comments:

  1. Wow! You saved me a bit f reading on that list, but that last book...hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to read If You Find Me. I love it when a book does that too.

    And speaking of which... I'm reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green right now and can't find a review site offering enough stars to rate how good it is. My idea of what a novel should be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I had to read The Fault in Our Stars in one sitting, too. And I'm pretty sure I went through an entire box of tissues in the process. Gorgeous, perfect book.

      Delete
  3. Outside of blog posts, I haven't read anything this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. That's why next month's book review will be quite short.

      Delete
  4. Just in case actually sounds intriguing, I might and you really sold If You Find Me. I find them both... interesting. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next month, I shall swallow a thesaurus. =)

      Delete
    2. lol, I might need one myself.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the reviews. A few of those are on my TBR list. There have been a lot like the ones that have disappointed at the end lately for some reason. A great build up and then fizzle out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reviews. I love reading books that stay with me for days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have times when I want to read a book that stays with me for days, but other times I really, really don't want the story to linger.

    I've read a lot of eh lately. I suppose I should just download the one book that I got a sample of, but I don't want to tempt myself to stay up until 2 AM on a school night any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you posted this! I'm adding them to my book list. I've been in a reading funk lately, (we just moved) and I'm ready to get back in the groove!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings human,

    It took all my doggy computer knowledge to get here and leave you one of my highly collectable comments :)

    You have given me plenty of options to check out with your reviews to read to my human, Gary.

    Sadly, I haven't read any books lately. Too busy making fun, I mean, interacting with those doing the alphabet challenge.

    Pawsitive wishes and happy alphabeting,

    Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got IF YOU FIND ME on my list already - can't wait! I'm reading WOOL by Hugh Howey and really enjoying it - it's got a sort of sci fi Stephen King thing going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 90% of what I've read this month has been YA and very few have accounted themselves beyond 'eh'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lad in Just In Case sounds a bit like me... I went through a stage of feeling doomed around that age - but I had broken a mirror about three years previously, and I have a feeling the two were connected.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for confirming that I've made a good choice (a no-brainer one for me) to avoid Nora Roberts. My hatred of her writing stems from pure envy and a bit of rage. Doesn't she (or her assistant) just copy and paste, and do a "Replace all" for the names, from one best-seller to the next?!

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually really liked The Search. Not the best NR I've ever read, but I too love search and rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great to read your a to z posts! nice job!
    recap this week,
    love the pics of your beautiful mountain home town! and you were in one! a first! cute puppy too
    i <3 notebooks! love filling them! notes app not the same
    payphone conversation was funny, when the song came out i was surprised! wondered if kids would know what it was!
    and aziz ansari from p&r is who i'd choose for a character in my book =) how awesome would that be!

    happy a to z!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh yeah, great reviews too! i wondered about shatter me
    you might untraceable by SR Johannes, ya thriller about girl looking for dad in the woods & being chased (hows that for a blurb!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read a book in one sitting in longer than I can remember. But, then, I have kids.

    I haven't heard of any of the books you reviewed here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I felt the same way about Shatter Me! I'll probably read the rest of the series eventually but I'm not in a hurry to seek them out.

    ReplyDelete