Thursday, April 18, 2013

Potpourri

Welcome to Potpourri Day of the A to Z Challenge, otherwise known as "The Day I Don't Know What To Talk About Because I'm Never Smart Enough To Plan These Things Ahead Of Time."

So here's a list of P Things I Enjoy...

Television shows:

Parks And Recreation: This sitcom airs Thursdays on NBC. It's about a group of public officials striving to make their city a better place. Hijinks and hilarity ensue. I didn't love the show very much at the beginning, but they found their groove later on, and the show's since become one of my must-see favorites.

Psych (USA, Wednesdays): I recently blogged about how much I enjoy this show. I love Shawn and Gus, and last night's episode (no worries...this is a spoiler-free zone) was brilliant. Easily the best of the season.

Movies:

Primal Fear: Released in 1996 and starring Richard Gere, Laura Linney and Edward Norton. This film is about an altar boy (Norton) accused of murder and the lawyer (Gere) who defends him. Amazing story and awesome acting. Love. It.

Point Break: Released in 1991 and stars Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, Gary Busey and Lori Petty. Directed by Katheryn Bigelow (she of Zero Dark Thirty fame). It's about an FBI agent (Keanu) who goes undercover to stop a group of wave riding surfers (led by Swayze). It's totally tubular.

The Princess Bride: I blog about this movie frequently, but I couldn't resist giving it another shout-out today. Released in 1987 and stars a ton of awesome actors. The whole damn thing is sheer awesomeness.

Authors:

Jodi Picoult (she's from New Hampshire!) writes commercial fiction that generally revolves around a family and a life-altering event. Her titles include Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, My Sister's Keeper, and her newest The Storyteller.

Sharon Kay Penman writes historical fiction. I've enjoyed all her novels, but I am particularly enthralled with the novel Here Be Dragons as well as her Justin de Quincy series (love, love, love the MC).

Robert B. Parker was probably most known for his Spenser mysteries, a series revolving around a Boston PI (which I adore), but also wrote other novels such as westerns and even a handful of young adult novels.

Books:

Paper Towns by John Green- (synopsis via John Green's site): Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life–dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge–he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues–and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (synopsis courtesy of Goodreads): Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

§§§

That's going to do it for me today. Have a great Thursday, all.

31 comments:

  1. Any excuse to reference Princess Bride is good enough for me! I'm looking at my book shelf right now and Pet Sematary is staring me in the face. That was a good/creepy P book I read back when I also had a library of VHS tapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read nor seen that one. I honestly haven't read a lot of Stephen King. I'm not much of a horror fan.

      Delete
  2. The Princess Bride was my choice today!
    And Psych is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Primal Fear was awesome! Now I want to see it again.

    Big fan of Jodi Picoult - I tend to like her older books better but THE STORYTELLER was one of her best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Storyteller yet. I'm about three books behind on Jodi Picoult right now, but the premise of this new one sounds amazing.

      Delete
  4. Here Be Dragons is a book I still have on my shelf. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, so good. I enjoyed that entire trilogy so much.

      Delete
  5. I must re-watch "Princess Bride" and the wallflower book sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an excellent read. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  6. Princess Bride!! Anybody want a peanut? And Psych. Great show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rhyming scene is a riot. We reference that one all the time in our house.

      Delete
  7. Psych is an awesome show...just the right blend of comedy and drama :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't much care for Point Break, but am sad that Patrick Swayze was taken from us so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember watching point break, but I dont remember what it was about. :D
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hey, look at that. I forgot to add the part about how the surfers were also robbing banks. That is an important detail to leave out.

      Delete
  10. I remember "Winging" my first A-Z challenge. I did it for two years straight... lol. This year is different ... I had very limited wifi for the first few weeks so I needed to get min written before hand. I was shocked I actually accomplished it. I only have three left... YAY!!!! Hope to get them done by tomorrow so I can visit lots of blogs over the weekend...

    Some fun P choices here....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my third year "winging" the A to Z challenge. Maybe one of these years, I'll smarten up.

      Delete
  11. Great variety of P titles here. I've been seeing a lot of the Princess Bride today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw Point Break last year and loved it even more than the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the same experience with Parks & Rec! Now it is a favorite. I just bought Perks...the other day. Anxious to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Help me climb out of a hole. I haven't seen these shows or movies :-/
    I've seen Princess Bride, that's about it... *Feel so lost* lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. The high school where I've been working all week is doing a Princess Bride read along on Saturday. All they they're reading the book (with people taking turns reading it to the group) followed by a screening of the movie starting at sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That's a lot of P's. My kids and I enjoy
    Psych. Mostly because we can watch it without me having to change the channel in the middle of the show. HUGE Robert B. Parker fan. I've read all of his books. He is missed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Parks and Recreation! One of my favorite shows!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Point Break, the Princess Bride and Psych are all surely enjoyed at my sea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Point Break is one of those movies that suck me in even when I know how bad it is! :)

    We love Psych. I swear the writers must be my exact age. We get every single joke. Every episode is hilarious.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  20. Potpourri is a good idea for P, so give yourself a little more credit :)

    The Princess Bride is my favorite movie ever, and I can quote it pretty much verbatim.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did you hear that there is a remake of Point Break in the works?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh I loved Point Break. Great soundtrack too!
    Lots of fab P words here! And Princess Bride is such a fun movie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read anything by Jodi Piccoult. I need to fix that, I know.

    ReplyDelete