Thursday, April 11, 2013

Joss Is Boss

It's J-Day which means it's time for my annual A to Z Challenge post on the man, the myth, the legend...Joss Whedon.

Because, as you may or may not know, I am completely slightly obsessed with this genius of a human being.

He is the man responsible for two and a half of my all-time favorite television shows (and guest starred in a third) and two of the movies on my top ten all-time favorite movies list.

I love the way he tells stories. His work makes me laugh and cry (sometimes within the same hour...or even at the same time), and he is not afraid to do what needs to be done all in the name of telling the best story he can.

That is the reason why my religion is W.W.J.W.D? and my main Twitter addiction is a game called "Six Degrees of Joss Whedon" which is just like "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" but with Joss instead. I win quite often.

It's possible I need a life.

But first, I'm going to see this movie:


Even if I have to cross multiple state lines in order to do it. Especially if I have to cross multiple state lines in order to do it.

And The Avengers 2. I'm definitely going to want to see that one, too. Oh, and S.H.I.E.L.D. Can't forget that.

Last year I listed some of my favorite Joss quotes, so this year I'll finish with a (partial) list of Joss-penned episodes from Joss-created shows. It's funny how many of these episodes would appear on a list of my favorite episodes from each series.

Well, maybe not funny. Maybe just expected.

Anyway, here's the list...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer:

Innocence
Becoming, Parts I and II
Dopplegangland
Hush
Restless
The Body
The Gift
Once More With Feeling

Firefly:


Serenity, Parts I and II

Our Mrs. Reynolds

Objects In Space

Angel:

Smile Time (technically, someone else wrote the teleplay, but Joss worked on the story so I'm counting it because I LOVE this episode)

A Hole In The World

Not Fade Away

All right, so that's going to do it for me today. Now it's your turn: Are you a Whedonite? If so, what are some of your favorite Joss things? And is anyone else interested in quitting our day jobs in order to professionally stalk this guy?

35 comments:

  1. I am in love with Joss Whedon's brain. I never did get into Angel, but Buffy and Firefly and The Avengers and Dr. Horrible and, and, and...I never get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove Joss.

    Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2wnLL1s00

    Riann Colton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen that one before, but that was fantastic. Makes me love Joss even more, and I didn't think such a thing was possible.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to see Firefly, but have heard nothing but good things so it's on my to-watch list! I love Buffy, to the extent that I re-watch it frequently. I also loved The Avengers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished a re-watch of Buffy the Vampire Slayer last week. It accompanied my latest rounds of edits.

      Delete
  4. Joss is the man! Just might be the biggest genius in Hollywood right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I saw the title of your post I got excited. And you managed to list ALL my favorite Buffy and Firefly episodes! Mrs. Reynolds, Hush...all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's pro Obama. That means he's incredibly cool in my book. His ad for Obama during the elections was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like his stories, but don't know nearly as much about him as you do. I'm not big on TV, so that's prlly why. Great learning about him from you tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I am a huge television addict. I probably shouldn't be, but I just can't help myself.

      Delete
  8. Could have seen this post coming a mile away. :)

    I did love the Avengers movie, and mostly because I was so impressed with the smart and funny dialogue. Good stuff. And what is this Much Ado About Nothing movie!!?? I must investigate more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much Ado About Nothing was Joss's top secret film project. It stars a bunch of his regular actors (Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof and Nathan Fillion to name a few) and I couldn't be more excited about it.

      Delete
  9. I may have squealed when I read Avengers 2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you really have to ask?

    What's not to love?

    I love that you picked HUSH in BtVS. A whole episode without dialogue was one of the best episodes ever.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the only one, I think, for which Joss won an Emmy.

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh! I don't even know who he is...must lift rock and crawl out from under!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I had to cross multiple state lines to see that movie, I would be driving for days. Luckily, LA is not that far, and it'd have to play there, right?

    Did you hear about the Jayne hat brouhaha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be shocked if it didn't play in LA. I imagine I'll have to drive to Boston, which is cool, because I like going to Boston.

      There was a Jayne hat brouhaha?

      Delete
    2. Think Geek got a license to distribute, and FOX started sending cease and desist letters to hand knitters on Etsy who were making the hats until now.

      It was all over Nathan Fillion's Twitter feed.

      Delete
    3. We got my oldest son a hand knitted one from Etsy for Christmas 2011.

      Delete
    4. I saw that Jayne hats were now available on Thinkgeek. Didn't know there was any trouble surrounding it.

      I asked my mom to make one for me a couple of Christmases ago. It's so much better than the one they show on Thinkgeek. I guess I could be biased, but I don't think I am.

      Delete
  13. I am not a Whedonite, but something tells me that I should be...I like a post that makes me think! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am a fan from the very first Buffy episode. He inspires me as a writer as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this is kind of blasphemy, but I think another show may be pushing Firefly out of the the #1 spot of my favorite series ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What series could possibly be doing that?

      Delete
    2. I've never seen it, but I hear nothing but good things about it.

      Delete
    3. It's a great show, especially Walton Goggins. The writing is superb. I always want to watch more of it when we finish an episode. And, now, we're stuck waiting for season 4 on DVD. I highly recommend it. I just had the realization towards the end of season 3 that I might like it more than Firefly.

      Delete
  16. I'll bring the hot chocolate/coffee...love joss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post is a religious experience. If you want to cross multiple state lines, come to Chicago and we will do this up right at the Cineplex where they have a bar on the upper level. I saw Dark Knight Rises there and wow!

    ReplyDelete