Saturday, April 6, 2013

Firefly

Today is the day in which I gush about my all-time favorite television show and (probably rant a little about the gorram network that canceled it. Damn You, Alliance FOX!).

That show is, of course, Firefly, Joss Whedon's epic and sadly short-lived space western which follows the adventures of a renegade crew as they travel the galaxy looking for work and the occasional bar fight (usually on U-Day).

This is the third year I've featured Firefly on F Day (and I will continue to feature Firefly on this day every year I participate in the A to Z Challenge) and each year I pick three episodes to highlight.

Here are this year's selections:

1. The Train Job


The very first episode aired by the Alliance FOX network (Damn you for cancelling this show!!) because the Alliance Fox execs didn't think the intended pilot, Serenity, had enough action in it. Fools. Anyway, this episode features the crew attempting to steal some cargo from a moving train . When it is revealed that the cargo is much needed medicine for a community, the crew has to decide what to do: complete the job for which they were paid, or return the medicine. We are also introduced to the recurring character Niska, a man with a taste for torture.

Favorite lines:

Inara: What did I say to you about barging into my shuttle?
Mal: That it was manly and impulsive?
Inara: Yes, precisely. Only the exact phrase I used was 'don't.'

Jayne: Time for some thrilling heroics.

Mal: They tell you never to hit a man with a closed fist, but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

2. War Stories


The episode in which Niska returns, seeking payback for the events in The Train Job. Niska takes Mal and Wash hostage and tortures them while the rest of the crew develops a risky plan to get them back.

Favorite lines:

Jayne: I'll be in my bunk.

River and Kaylee: No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Zoe: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Jayne: I'm smelling a lot of 'if' coming off of this plan.

3. The Message


One of three episodes that were unaired by the Alliance Fox network. During a routine stop, Mal and Zoe receive a surprise parcel in the mail...the body of an army buddy—and a request to bring his body home. Oh, and Jayne gets a new hat.

Favorite lines:

Wash: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Zoe: First rule of battle, little one? Never let them know where you are.
Mal [comes running and shouting and shooting]: Woo-hoo! I'm right here! I'm right here! You want some of this?Yeah, you do! Come on! Come on!
Zoe: 'Course, there are other schools of thought.

§§§

So that's going to do it for me today. Are you a Browncoat? If so, what are your favorite episodes/moments?

Have a shiny weekend, everyone!!


38 comments:

  1. Firefly is simply... *sigh* ...awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it!

    I do love during War Stories when Mal is trying to keep Wash awake and aware during their electrocution. So well done.

    My favorite episode is still Out of Gas. But really, they were all good.

    I don't think the show would work again but another movie, absolutely!

    Shiny post!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really got to see what Mal would do for his crew in that scene in War Stories.

      And Out of Gas is brilliant. It was one of the first episodes I talked about on Firefly day.

      Delete
  3. MJ, you are my people!!
    Sadly since I am doing movies not shows, no Firefly today for me. However, when we get to S...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will the Big Damn Movie be making an appearance then?

      Delete
  4. Firefly is awesome!!! I too loved it. Thanks for dropping round my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could gush/rant over Firefly for hours! I am proud to call myself one of the original Browncoats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh love the episodes you mention (but then again, EVERY episode of Firefly is gold), love the quotes. Jayne's hat is the best thing ever. Yes, Fox was stupid to not air the first episode--it did such a perfect job of introducing the universe, the characters. siiiiiigh. My favourite episode is probably the very last one, where River "becomes" the ship :)

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel bad that I only mention three episodes because they are all so very good.

      Delete
  7. Damn it, now you've made me want to watch it all over again! What is wrong with these stupid networks cancelling the best shows ever leaving us to watch crap like Survivor or The Bachelor (my apologies to anyone who happens to love those shows).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to have a Firefly marathon this afternoon, actually. Of course, I planned to do that most every day.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad there are still so many people who love it. Maybe it'll be re-shown one day if it gets enough of a following. If I remember correctly, it wasn't just the first programme they showed out of sequence, was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they showed a few episodes out of order. Why didn't they know better than to just let Joss be Joss and trust what he gave them?!?

      Delete
  9. I've never seen any Firefly, but I keep hearing how amazing it is! I've begged my boyfriend to watch it with me (he's seen it before), so hopefully I'll experience it for myself soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firefly is one of the few shows that my significant other and I both enjoyed.

      Delete
  10. I just recently saw Serenity and loved it. I need to go back and stream the series, I just know I'm going to love it too. I just sucks that it was canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, LOVE this show! I wept openly when it was taken off the air. I can't think of one episode that was my favorite. They're all just too brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I am going to go cry. And look up a pattern for a Jayne hat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. he needs to do another one!
    fireflyyyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. On April Fool's Day a post came up on my tumblr saying Fox picked Firefly back up. Which made me squee. Then I clicked the link. Can you say Rickrolled? _-_

    Patricia Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember finally watching them all in sequence when I got the DVD. Then watching them again when my brother and sister-in-law were crashing here after a medical issue. Hooked them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Firefly has one of the most loyal fan following I've ever seen! They've been off the air for so long and the fans are still totally dedicated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sigh, they're all so good it's hard to pick just one, isn't it? So I'll just go with some wardrobe faves for now. I loved Jayne's hat. I loved Kaylee's frilly pink dress. I loved Zoe's boots. I loved Niska's bowler hat (though I loved the chracter he played on Supernatural even better) I loved Mal's Brown Coat. And though perhaps not technically wardrobe, I loved Book's undone hair.

    Another great F post this year, M. I think next year you should do a Firefly themed A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed this series and my hubby thinks it's one of the best ever made. Great choice for F, every year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do love this show! It might be about time for a rewatch.

    I actually saw one episode while it was on the air, amazingly. But I hated the theme song (still do) and didn't quite get what angle the show was taking. Looking back, now I know that the episodes were aired out of order, and I think it was moved around on Fox's TV schedule. It's one of those shows, had the promotion been decent at the time we could have caught on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the guy's photo under #3 the message...i use to think was soooo cute. he was in the first MIB

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmm. I missed it. And I especially loved your D post. But then German Shepards are my thing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved Firefly and i miss it! (Tears) I watched Serenity today, just to get my dose of Firefly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think I can pick a favorite; every time I try, I think of some other episode that becomes my favorite which eventually leads all the way back.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved the entire series, thank you for the post and for reminding me, must check Sky and see what channel it's one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Firefly is quite simply awesome and I love it to pieces as well. The dialogue is sheer brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome post. Firefly sure does sound like a lot of fun :)

    Bhavya from the AtoZ Challenge blogging at Just Another Blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. War Stories is one of my FAVORITE episodes of my all time favorite show (well, tied with Buffy). Amazing choice.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ok,I so need to watch this series. I hear so many great things about it!!
    Visiting from a-z

    ReplyDelete
  29. I miss this show so much. You got me all nostalgic. Browncoats forever!! I love all the eps, but War Games is great. I love when Wash and Zoe get into it because she told Mal Wash's idea, Mal dismissed and she didn't defend it. She asks "Is there any way I'm going to get out of this with honor and dignity? And Wash says "You're pretty much down to ritual suicide, lamby-toes."

    ReplyDelete
  30. Firefly makes me happy.

    Do you watch Castle? I love the episode at some sci fi convention when Nathan Fillion talks about good sci fi shows and mentions "that one by Joss Whedon."

    ReplyDelete