Monday, March 4, 2013

Insert Title Here.

I don't have a cool song title for this Monday's post. I thought about using "I Don't Like Mondays" but I don't think I care about Mondays one way or another. Then that made me think I should use "A Case of the Mondays" from Office Space, but I decided to save that for a day when I'm actually having a case of the Mondays. That'll probably be my next shift at The Store, regardless of what day it actually is. The Store's like that.

Anyway, here's where I ended up with last week's goals:
 
1. Implement changes to part two of Effigy. This is approximately 150 pages, which is still no small amount, so try not to put it off so long this time, okay?



Done and done. I finished early even, wrapping up this part of the edit by Friday evening so I could take the entire weekend off. I know I should've gotten a jump start on the next round of edits, but damn, I really wanted/needed the weekend away from it.
 
2. Attend my goddaughter's dance recital, which, normally wouldn't appear on a goal list, but this particular recital is held in a location which will require me to drive to a city with more than two roads running parallel to each other, and possibly parallel park my car, which is a concern because I haven't parallel parked a vehicle since the day I passed my driver's test and my current car is a lot larger than the tiny little sedan I drove that day.


I did this one too! Of course, I drove up and down the road until a space opened up that wouldn't require me to truly parallel park my car, and because it was in front of a school, I'm probably on some watch list now, but it'll be a good long while before I have to go back there so I think it'll be all right. Let me just say my goddaughter is a beautiful dancer, and I couldn't be prouder.

3. Read a book.

I actually read two books. Look at me, all overachieving. What ever will I do next?

Oh wait. I know...

Here are this week's goals:


1. Complete edits for part three of Effigy. This is approximately 185 pages.

2. Attend New Hampshire's Writers' Night Out. This is a networking event held all over the state in various locations. This will be the  first time its held in the Mount Washington Valley. So I am going to go. And socialize and network. Even though the very idea of it makes my stomach hurt.

3. Start walking again. It's supposed to be above freezing for much of the week and the sidewalks are kind of clear, so it's time to hit the pavement again. Attempt to get at least three three mile walks in this week.

So that's going to do it for me today. What are your goals for the week?

Until next time... 

 

36 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of putting your goals 'out there' for accountability sake...especially when you get them done.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the idea too. I do like it a little less when I don't accomplish all my goals, but fortunately, that hasn't been an issue for a couple of weeks now.

      Delete
  2. Goals? Where we're going, we don't need goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where is this place exactly, because I have not found that to be true at all.

      Delete
    2. I don't know. It's in the future somewhere, and you need a flying car to get there.

      Delete
    3. Oh man. I can't even park my non-flying car.

      Delete
  3. I know you're nervous about going to the New Hampshire's Writers' Night Out, but it sounds like fun and a great opportunity to network. Be ready to talk about Effigy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait... I'm going to have to talk about Effigy? Now I have to make my goal to not hide under any of the tables.

      Delete
  4. I got sick and didn't move from the couch for 2 and 1/2 days. Any goals I had went out the window. So this week is a reboot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had those weeks too. Of course, I'm so hard on myself that I demanded I provide myself with a doctor's note before I even considered letting myself off the hook, but I've been there.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think it was important to take the weekend off, just to keep me from burning out. Plus, I really wanted to go to the bookstore so I would've said just about anything to make that happen.

      Delete
  6. You are doing so great with your goals! I hope this week is another good one for you... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It's probably pathetic though that the goal I'm most in danger of failing on is a night of socializing.

      Delete
    2. When you're in a situation where everyone is excited about writing and reading and books, it's so much easier than being in a gathering where people ask what you do, you say writer, and they just stare blankly back. It won't be nearly as bad as you think, believe me. :)

      Delete
  7. Well done on achieving all your goals!

    Best of luck with this week's. I know you can do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misha. I'm actually feeling pretty confidant about this week's goals. If I can survive socializing, I can survive anything.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that's way too much productivity on your part. But way to go on those edits. :)

    And enjoy the Writer's Night Out. Those things usually sound scary until you get there and find out you're actually having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been very productive. It is strange, but I'm sure I'll screw up something soon, and everything will be back to normal.

      Delete
  9. I would do the same when it came to the parking. I haven't parallel parked since high school.
    Congrats on reaching all your goals too. I think you earned the weekend off. Give yourself a bit of time to recharge, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed by people who can parallel park, but I am not one of them. High school was the last time I did so successfully. I think I attempted it one other time since then and had to give up.

      Delete
  10. A three-mile walk sounds awesome, and I hope you enjoy your Writer's Night Out. My own socializing skills are limited to making excuses to why I can't attend events.

    I just checked, and fortunately there's no Maine Writers' Night Out. I guess they're much like you and me, and you're always welcome to come over and not gather anywhere with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The excuses thing is usually what my socializing skills are used for too. This is going to be a first for me.

      Delete
  11. I don't consider it a successful week unless I get put on at least one watch list, so I'd say you've had a successful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should really be my measure of success every week.

      Delete
  12. I need to start exercising more. I'm taking it easy right now with all the kidney stone surgeries I've been enduring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that is an excellent reason for taking it easy.

      Delete
  13. Writers Night Out sounds like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on your goals :). I totally think you can do it this week, too. Hope there's no more ice or snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am watching the current storm track carefully. If it shifts one way, there will be a lot more snow, but if it goes the other way, there won't be any to speak of. At least this far north. The mid-atlantic is another story.

      Delete
  15. Weekend off? I took the whole week off of writing. Bad me. (Well, not really bad. I'd been good for weeks before. I needed the time to just be.)

    Enjoy your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear on occasion writers need time away from writing. Once, I took the entire summer off. I was very cranky. Of course, there's an excellent chance that I would've been cranky any way.

      Delete
  16. way to go woman!
    and i wishi could join you at that retreat! sounds fun! and you could whisper all your wisecracks to me, ha! behave!

    here's to another productive week =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved reading about your completed goals--makes me want to get my ass in gear. And yes, 'they're' definitely watching you now. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you for achieving those goals-- and wish you all the best for the upcoming ones!


    Daily(w)rite via IWSG

    ReplyDelete