Monday, March 11, 2013

Goal Success and Movie Week Kick Off!

There's a lot to talk about today and I've been saddled with an extra shift at The Store (be sure to watch my Twitter feed for sarcastic haiku!) so I'm going to just jump right into things, starting with a recap of my goals from last week. I know you've all lost sleep wondering how I did with them—although the title of today's post might be a bit of a giveaway—and I don't want to keep you in suspense any longer...

1. Complete edits for part three of Effigy. This is approximately 185 pages.


Done. They actually went a little too well, which maybe doesn't make sense to anyone who isn't me, but I got to the end and I just...I felt like I had missed something. Not quite sure what to do about that, but I can kind of feel another freak out attempting to work its way in. Blurg.

2. Attend New Hampshire's Writers' Night Out event. This is a networking event held in various locations all over the state, and will be held in the Mount Washington Valley for the very first time. So I am going to do. And socialize and network. Even though the very idea of it makes my stomach hurt.


I did this too. I was very concerned about it, but it was a small group of writers with whom I was already acquainted so that helped a lot. As did the rather large Long Island Iced Tea I drank in record time (it's amazing how much easier socializing gets once you've downed one of those). It was pretty funny watching a group of writers attempt to socialize with each other and the general public. Are all writers so socially awkward, or is it a MWV thing? I'm not entirely sure the bartender will be happy to see us come back next month.

3. Start walking again. It's supposed to be above freezing for much of the week and the sidewalks are kind of clear, so it's time to hit the pavement again. Attempt to get at least three three mile walks in this week.

I did this too. I even did some extra mileage because I'm a go-getter. No, wait, no I'm not a go-getter at all. I just did some extra mileage because that's just how things worked out.

To celebrate three 100% completion weeks in a row, I am giving myself the gift of no goals for the next week. There are a few run-off edits to be completed for Effigy, but I have until the end of the month to finish them.

And now for something completely different...
 
Next Monday, Alex J. Cavanaugh is hosting the Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest so I am taking advantage of this to host my own little movie week on My Pet Blog. I don't know how many posts there will be (how things go at my day job this week will determine that), but how ever many there are will be about my favorite movies, by genre—for example Superhero, Spy/Secret Agent, Heist, Animated, whatever. Then, next Monday, I will reveal my (current) Top Ten all time favorite movies. 

Today's featured genre is swash-buckling. Maybe that isn't normally a genre, but it is today because that's what I'm in the mood for. So here are some of my favorite swash-buckling movies (yes, I have more than one...) 

1. The Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Released in 2003, based on a Disney theme park ride, and staring Kiera Knightly, Orlando Bloom, Geoffrey Rush, and Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow, this movie kills me. I love it. I'm not as fond as the two sequels, but I will gladly watch this first one over and over again. Action, swordfights, humor and Johnny freakin' Depp playing the world's coolest pirate. What's not the love?

Favorite lines:

Will Turner: You cheated!
Jack Sparrow: Pirate.

Elizabeth: Like pain? Try wearing a corset!

Jack Sparrow: Why is the rum gone?

2. The Three Muskateers

There have been many upon many movie versions, but the one I'm talking about is the so-bad-it's-awesome 1993 Disney classic starring Keifer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen and Oliver Platt as the titular Muskateers. Chris O'Donnell, doing some of his very finest eyebrow acting, stars as D'Artangan, but the real casting coup here was Tim Curry as Cardinal Richelieu. It's possible I have entirely too much making fun of this movie.

As there are too many favorite lines to count, I'm just going to share with you this one scene:

[five Cardinal's guards ride up as Athos and D'Artagnan prepare to duel]
Athos: Only a fool would try and arrest us twice in one day.
Jussac: You're under arrest.
Aramis, Porthos: A fool.
Jussac: Are you coming peacefully or do you intend to resist?
Porthos: Oh don't be so stupid, of course we intend to resist! Just give us a moment, all right?
[to his comrades:]
Porthos: Five of them, three of us. Hardly seems fair.
Aramis: Maybe we should give them a chance to surrender.
D'Artagnan: Excuse me, but there's four of us.
Athos: It's not your fight. You're not a Musketeer.
D'Artagnan: I may not wear the tunic, but I believe I have the heart of a Musketeer.
Porthos: Warrior!
Aramis: Poet!
Athos: You got a name, boy?
D'Artagnan: D'Artagnan.
Athos: Athos, Porthos, Aramis.
Porthos: Pleased to meet you again.
Aramis: Pleasure.
Porthos: Everyone acquainted?
[the four whirl around and unsheathe their swords]
Porthos: NOW, we are prepared to resist you!
 
3. The Count of Monte Cristo 

Not sure if this one counts as a swashbuckling movie, but there is a big sword fight at the end, so I'm going to let it slide. This is a 2002 movie starring Jim Cavezial, Guy Pearce, Richard Harris, and a young Henry Cavill. The storyline only very loosely follows its source material (sorry, Alexandre Dumas!) but, in my opinion, it's the better for it. This movie is packed with action, adventure, revenge, and sprinkled with a healthy dose of humor (thanks, in large part, to Luis Guzman), and I always love a movie that can make me laugh.
 
I was hoping to find a video of Luis Guzman's best moments in the movie, but alas, there isn't one, so I will share with you instead the trailer:



§§§

So that's going to do it for me today. Sorry about the extreme length. If you made it all the way to the end, please award yourself massive amounts of bonus points. Who knows—someday they could be worth something...

Until next time, all.
 

  

37 comments:

  1. Congratulations on hitting all of your goals!
    Count of Monte Cristo was great - just a really solid film. Awesome way to lead into the blogfest, MJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if there's something I love talking about it's movies. And Joss Whedon. And the works of Joss Whedon. And brownies. And...

      Delete
  2. See, the socializing wasn't so bad after all! But I am going to remember that Long Island Iced Tea trick for myself...

    Well done on the goals, and I think the occasional break is a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the socializing went pretty well. We had a great (if slightly intoxicated) time.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, nothing like a drinkipoo to loosen the tongue and make one feel eloquent :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rewatch the Count all the time. And I agree, it was better for not following the book exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time we rewatched it, my significant other had just finished the book and spent the whole movie going "It wasn't like this in the book!"

      It got very annoying.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your goals.

    I love, Love, LOVE swashbuckling. Agree with your choices EXCEPT for COMC, while it was visually stunning and I love Jim Cavezial, I like the darker side of Dumas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I am all about the darker side of everything.

      Delete
  6. Yay for reaching all your goals! Wish i could relate...

    And swashbuckling is most certainly a genre!! My favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This three-peat is an unprecedented stretch for me. Usually, I have to go with goals like "get out of bed every day!" to experience any amount of success.

      Delete
  7. You make me laugh, M.J. Hugs and chocolate! I'll look for your Tweets.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aim for laughter, so thanks, Shelly!

      Delete
  8. Kudos to you my friend on achieving and over-achieving your goals!

    Great movie pics so far!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I'm having a hard time deciding which genre to tackle next.

      Delete
  9. Did you ever see "Cutthroat Island?" I know it was panned by critics, however, I think it's a great swashbuckling movie and Geena Davis is great as a pirate. It's one of the movies I continuously enjoy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen that, but I've always thought it was something I'd get a kick out of. I'll have to add it to my Netflix list.

      Delete
  10. Three sequels to Pirates. Or did you leave the last one off on purpose? It deserves to be left off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot about the last one. See, that's how bad it was. Even I forgot about it.

      Delete
  11. All those movies are great! I haven't seen Three Musketeers in forever, but it's so fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched it in a while either, but now after talking about it, I'm going to have to watch it soon. Perhaps even right now.

      Delete
  12. I totally get edits going too well. Edits are uncooperative by nature. Have a fun movie week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Right!!

      Movies are so much easier.

      Delete
  13. I know what you mean about the edits. I sat down and did my taxes last week, and I felt so uneasy until I hit a problem. Then I felt like I was doing them right.

    Enjoy your week off from goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taxes. Right. I should probably do those.

      Delete
  14. Yay on the success of the night out! You didn't mention there was going to be a bartender. I'll have to bring one along if I ever try something like that.

    And I love every version of the Count of Monte Cristo. Especially in the prison, with his teacher. Richard Chamberlain did that one really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should've put "bartender" in the ad. Maybe more people would've showed up.

      Delete
  15. Great genre - love those swashbucklers. And LOVE Pirates (all four of them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have no recollection of the fourth Pirates film beyond "Oh yeah, I did see that, didn't I?" But there were parts in the middle two movies that I enjoyed very much.

      Delete
  16. Oh, man. I haven't seen The Three Musketeers in a very long time. What a hilarious flick. Despite the plethora of other Musketeer movies to choose from, that version is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. I think it might have ruined me for all other Muskateer films. =)

      Delete
  17. Loved all the movies you mentioned. Wasn't that version of The Three Musketeers the one where Porthos kept saying he was known as "Porthos the Pirate" and the other Musketeers just laughed at him, until near the end where someone says "It's Porthos the Pirate...run!"..lol...loved that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was that version. He was all "See, told you I was famous!"

      Classic.

      Delete
  18. Firstly, good choice of movies, secondly you'll never finish editing a book. The only thing you'll ever finish is proofreading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I'll ever finish proofread either. I'll always be convinced I missed something.

      Delete
  19. Even though I'm not a swash buckler, I like that new genre. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete