Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday, Monday

We're going old school for today's title musical reference thing. If you know the song to which I am referring, please award yourself massive amounts of bonus points. If you're surprised that I used a Monday song for today's title and didn't go with the Bangles and "Manic Monday", please award yourself massive bonus points. If you're even still reading this post, please award yourself massive bonus points. You deserve them. Getting to the actual point of my posts is not my strong suit, and anyone who is willing to bushwack their way through the crazy in order to get to the actual point deserves much more than bonus points with no cash value (or any value, for that matter).

Anyway.

When I saw you last, I was in the middle of a major Freak Out. Tara Tyler had the very cool idea to name my freak outs like how the Weather Channel names winter storms, so I decided that last week's Freak Out shall henceforth be known as Freak Out ABBA because I love ABBA. And I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Anyway.

I like to think that the worst of Freak Out ABBA is over. She's moved out to sea or whatever, and I can begin the recovery process, staring with a review of the goals I set for myself last week, midst freak out.


1.  Finish your latest round of edits, and do not (at any point) attach any sort of incendiary devices or accelerant to the manuscript. (note to self: check highlighters for flammable material warnings...)


Done. Two red pens and three highlighters (not an exaggeration) later, it's done, and I am now the not-so-proud owner of a manuscript with pages that look like this: 


Yes, I mean I am glad that I did not actually publish my manuscript with this many stupid errors in it, but I also admit that it's left me feeling a tad stupid and incompetent. And also like I should send out apology letters to anyone who ever had to suffer through these pages. I really am sorry that I didn't have a better handle on things. I should have.

I can tell the exact moment that Irritated M.J. (again, not to be affiliated with Crazy M.J. or Not As Crazy M.J. or any of my other personalities) took over the edits because my margin notes went from things like "This isn't quite right. Please try again" to "Are you trying to kill me?" and "This is quite possibly the worst sentence ever written in any language"  (Yes, I am hard on myself. Perhaps too hard on myself, but that's not going to change any time soon.)

But because there is always a silver lining, at least the next draft is bound to be better. Right?

Right???


2.  Work out at least three times this week. See if you can't sweat some of this crazy out. (note to self: shoveling snow does not count)


Yeah. I didn't do this. I was in an editing cave all week long, so the only physical exercise I got was shoveling snow. I did tell Callie Leuck that I would begrudgingly count it but only give myself partial credit for doing it, so I'll give myself half credit for this goal.

3.  STOP FREAKING OUT. You're doing it for no reason, and it's twisting your stomach into knots and making you not want to eat chocolate, which really doesn't help with the whole not-acting-crazy thing. So cut it out already.

 
Not really sure where to put this in the success continuum. I don't want to blow my manuscript to smithereens anymore, so that's certainly an improvement. Mostly, I think I'm just too tired to freak out anymore. At least for a while. So hey, let's count it as a win, shall we?

And that sums up last week. Here are my endeavors for this week:


1.  Read a book. Maybe two. I haven't read one single book this entire month, and now is the time to change that.

2.  Indie ReCon starts on Tuesday. Check it out and take copious notes.


3. Take my niece to the mall and spoil her rotten. Unless her mother is reading this. Then I will definitely not be spoiling her rotten.

4. Implement changes to part one of Effigy. This is approximately 203 pages. No time for dilly dallying. Mall trip aside anyway.

Oh, and one last thing before I go... Andrew Leon has released Part Fifteen of his serial work The Shadow Spinner. You can download it (and a whole bunch of other stuff) for free from Amazon today, so please go check it out!! 
 

50 comments:

  1. If you get to Freak Out Anthrax, I think we're all doomed.
    What's double massive bonus points? (Sorry, the Bangles just don't enter my brain. I won't let them.)
    Don't stress the dumb mistakes. Those are the easiest to miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of Anthrax in any way, shape or form, so we're safe there. I think the next freak out shall be named Buffy.

      And I am stressing the dumb mistakes. I'm really supposed to be past the point of having made them in the first place.

      Delete
  2. I love ABBA, too. I'm ready to have a FREAK OUT myself. Writery biz and promotion stuff. I.NEED.CHOCOLATE.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another ABBA fan! Let's have some chocolate and listen to Dancing Queen.

      Delete
  3. It's good to start the week with a bunch of bonus points. I often write e-mails with the heading "Monday, Monday," or "Tuesday Afternoon," or "I Never Could Get the Hang of Thursdays." (Triple Bonus Points to anyone who knows all three.)

    Glad to hear Freak Out ABBA is gone, and way to go on wrestling with your manuscript, and yes, it does look a lot better now. Light blue is definitely its color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No triple bonus points for me...

      I like the light blue highlighters. It looks better with all the red. Of course, I like error free pages even more. Next time...

      Delete
  4. I get maximum points!! Yay. I must say, when I see a MS that looks the way yours does in that photo, I get huge surge of excitment... Glad Freak Out ABBA is off into the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this were an earlier draft of the MS, I'd be excited too. But it isn't, so I'm not.

      Delete
    2. And congratulations on receiving the maximum bonus points! =)

      Delete
  5. That song from the Mamas and the Papas jumped into my brain the minute I read the title :)

    I also love ABBA, so I think I'm racking up the bonus points all over the place!

    I would definitely count shoveling snow as 'working out'. It's tough work, from what I can remember.

    A new week brings new opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who loves ABBA and admits to it gest ultra mega bonus points. =)

      Delete
  6. Don't feel stupid about all those things you find while in edit mode. I felt the same way with my first book and I remember thinking - Omg I can't actually write or spell.

    It's part of the process. And also ABBA is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, it is all part of the process. Think I'll put on some ABBA and dance around until I don't care anymore...

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing you at Indie ReCon. Yay! And yes, stop being so hard on yourself. =) One draft at a time, eh? I think I go through between 25 and 100 of them before I'm finished. (No, that's not an exaggeration.) Maybe you'll end up faster than me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't think I'm quite at twenty five drafts. Probably more like low double digits. But still, I can't imagine that I'm faster than anybody.

      Delete
  8. Please tell me the next one will not be freakout Beiber! Shoveling snow absolutely counts...unless you are referring to a very short sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, the freak outs shall be named after things I love. I don't know what my reasoning for that is, but it's what I have decided upon. So there will be no Freak Out Beiber. Buffy, more like it.

      Delete
  9. Haha - Your #1 sounds like a pretty common editing approach and nigh-freak-out attitude. ;) Glad the worst is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is every mammal who lives under this roof with me. =)

      Delete
  10. I love that you're naming your freak outs like storms :) Sounds like you got a lot done, though!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the naming the freak out thing too. Make me want to have another one... wait, this might prove to be counterproductive.

      Delete
  11. As long as we don't have something like Freak Out Zombie Apocalypse... That's worse than Anthrax.

    What are all of these bonus points good for? And thanks for sticking not one but two songs in my head! They're up there fighting with each other, and it's not pleasant!

    And thanks for the shout! I was totally not expecting that.
    Reading suggestion: Even though it's not Christmas, there's a certain holiday related story floating around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have twenty four other freak outs this year that will lead me to need a Z freak out name, we have bigger problems than me naming it after a zombie apocalypse. Besides, Z would be Zelda anyway.

      And you're welcome for the shout out.

      Delete
  12. I had a freakout when I read you hadn't read any books this month! I get a little nuts when I go a day without reading. (My husband can testify to that!) :) Enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get a little nuts (more so anyway) when I'm not reading anything either. I just had editing tunnel vision going on and didn't have time for anything else.

      Delete
  13. Glad the freak out has passed. Don't sweat the mistakes. At least you found them, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is what I keep telling myself. And every now and then, I actually believe it. =)

      Delete
    2. I've been reading a lot of self pubbed stuff, and the mistakes that got through on those...

      Delete
  14. Right! The next draft is always better, I promise.

    It looks like you have a well-marked manuscript. Good luck with the editing. I know I'd never be able to get 203 pages done in a week. Keep at it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I'll be able to get 203 pages done either, but that's what I'm working toward.

      Delete
  15. I love this idea of naming you freak outs. I'm also glad that you did not blow up or torch your manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad too. It would have made one hell of a mess if I'd gone through with it.

      Delete
  16. I hate that feeling, I don't know how many times I've written something, edited it, gone over for typos and such, and felt like I had the cleanest, most well written, and all-round awesome thing to ever come from the fingertips of humanity... and then I'll sit on it for a couple of weeks and come back and have a complete meltdown at the crapfest that someone substituted for my genius manuscript. It's like the version of The Lord of the Rings that was told by a 6 year old. It might be cute sometimes, but it certainly doesn't make any sense.

    Just like my comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure I've ever thought it was the most well written, all around awesome thing to ever comes from the fingertips of humanity, but the rest sounds spot-on accurate. =)

      Delete
  17. @Rusty & M.J.: It's the manuscript brownies. They come in and act all mischievous on it and cause typos and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I love brownies. Oh wait, you don't mean the delighful baked good, do you...

      Delete
  18. I suppose you could bake them, but I don't think they'd be happy about it, so it probably wouldn't be all that delightful. Especially when they really came for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing to worry about there. I don't bake anything.

      Delete
  19. The good thing is you're catching all those mistakes and bad sentences BEFORE they get to an agent or editor. That is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a very good thing. And eventually, I will fully appreciate that.

      Delete
  20. abba is a great name for a freak out! thanks for the shout out =)

    and keep at it, thats progress!
    plus you show us how to laugh at ourselves doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Editing is painful and leaves all of us wondering how we can write things like it and think they were good once upon a time. And it makes most of us want to give up being authors and move to Tibet and live off frozen fish. but you edited, so you get massive points and remember, you are likely the worse critic who will ever read your book. Authors are terribly hard on their own work.
    And trips to the mall so don't count as dilly dallying. I mean, if one has a niece they obviously need to spoil her rotten. It is in the aunt contract. So, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister would like to post a picture of my niece's closet as evidence that perhaps I don't need to spoil my niece quite as much as I do.

      But my niece agrees fully with your perspective.

      Delete
  22. I suddenly accumulated a lot of bonus points. I'm a bit overwhelmed. Can I redeem them for something? I don't know how many I have because my brain is on strike from math this week. Maybe I should redeem them for a calculator.

    You definitely should get those half points for shoveling snow. Although you should try to go plan exercise at least once a week -- the endorphins will help with the Freak Out ABBA or whatever the current Freak Out is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never know how many people have either. It's true that I'm rather bad at math, but there's also the catch that I never actually use any actual amounts with my bonus points. I always go with the "give yourself some bonus points" thing, so really, everyone has however many points they imagine.

      Not that that changes their value at all.

      Hmmm. Maybe I need a better rewards system.

      Delete
  23. Naming freak outs...that's such a great idea.

    I hope this week is better for you. And that you find your manuscript is finally perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I love the idea of naming freak outs. All Hail Tara Tyler!!

      Delete