Monday, February 25, 2013

Feeling Good

I'm continuing my Monday music title run. If you're not a fan of this song, keep in mind that until about 4pm Sunday, I thought I'd have to go with "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and that wouldn't have been good on any level. Well, except for the sentiment of not worrying and being happy.

So now that I've gotten two more songs stuck in your head (Next week, I'll go for three...), let's take a look at last week's goals and where I ended up with them:
 
1. Read a book. Maybe two. I haven't read one single book this entire month, and now is the time to change that.


I read two books last week. I'd tell you what they are, but their titles escape me at the moment. Well, they'll be in my February book review at the end of the week, so I guess I don't have to worry about it right now.
 
2. Indie ReCon starts on Tuesday. Check it out and take copious notes.



I did this too. A big shout out to the organizers of that event. You are wise and wonderful.

3.  Take my niece to the mall and spoil her rotten.


Mission accomplished. If you ask her mother, she will tell you that I was perhaps a little too successful with this goal, but I had the best time doing it, and I have promised to not do it again for three months. Seemed fair.
 
4.  Implement changes to part one of Effigy. This is approximately 203 pages, so there will be no time for dilly-dallying.


Some way, some how, I managed to get this goal done around 4pm on Sunday. Considering I didn't even start it until Thursday, I don't know how that happened. I did pull an all-nighter on Saturday, and I'm sure that helped. It's crazy what I can get done when every other mammal in my household is asleep. And Buffy the Vampire Slayer is playing in the background. This week was season two. Next week, season three.



So you know what this means? It means that I have a 100% completion rate from last week. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think this might be the first week this year I can such a claim. Nope, actually, it isn't (I just checked because I'm anal like that). It's the third week. Go me.

But however many weeks it is, I'm feeling good right now (hence the clever title). I'm feeling... Well, I wouldn't quite say 'confident' because saying that is kind of like being in Sunnydale or Mystic Falls, or road tripping with the Winchesters and saying "Wow, things sure have been quiet lately." So let's not say the C-word. Instead let's just stick with Good. Things are good, and I'm not going to worry about that.

Or at least I'm going to try real hard.

Here are this week's goals:

1. Implement changes to part two of Effigy. This is approximately 150 pages, which is still no small amount, so try not to put it off so long this time, okay?


2.  Attend my goddaughter's dance recital, which, normally, wouldn't appear on a goal list, but this particular recital is held in a location which will require me to drive to a city with more than two roads running parallel to each other, and possibly parallel park my car, which is a concern because I haven't parallel parked a vehicle since the day I passed my driver's test and my current car is a lot larger than the tiny little sedan I drove that day. But it'll be fine. I'm sure. Kind of sure. Have I mentioned there's a reason why I live in a tiny little town?


3. Read a book. I'll need something to take my mind off that whole parallel parking problem...

And that's going to do it for me today. What have you got going on this week?

Oh, and the inspiration behind today's title:

47 comments:

  1. Yay for meeting all of your goals! Good luck with the parallel parking LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I could just drive to a parking garage and take a bus or hire a taxi from there. That's reasonable, right?

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the Effigy changes. I haven't read much recently either, but I've got this week off work, so I'm hoping to bury myself in a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you pick a good one. The book I'm reading right now alternates between being super good and super boring. Which is interesting.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I had to smile when you couldn't remember the titles of the books you just read. I do that all of the time :) Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had this giant brain cramp when writing that post and the book diary was all the way on the other side of a very small room. It happens.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! I bet you got a workout with the snow, too.

    And does not remembering the titles of those books reflect on the quality of the books or your thinking? Or simply feeling too good to care? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a work out with the snow. It was that heavy sticky stuff. Plus, my plow guy didn't do as good as job as he was supposed to do. Lots and lots and clean up work to do.

      And to answer your book question, I think it's the latter not the former. I do remember the books now, and I was happy with them both.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Hope you score perfect for this week as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Especially on that whole parking test thing. Or, at the very least, I hope I don't fail miserably.

      Delete
  6. I can't remember the last time I parallel parked. Good luck! :)

    And I think you read Touch and Go by Lisa Gardner, if I'm remembering from my Goodreads update. I liked it a lot, but I'm a fan of hers anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read that, yes. Thank you, Goodreads!

      I'm a fan of hers too. She lives in my area and is a such a nice person, so I always like to buy her books when they first come out.

      Delete
  7. I don't know that song (and can't listen to it right now) and hate the other song, so I don't have anything stuck in my head.
    I think you should listen to some Michael Franti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the hating it thing because, who doesn't hate that song, but it didn't get stuck in your head? How do you do that? I spend so much time with songs I hate stuck in my head just because I heard a snippet, or a reference, or something like that, and it lodges itself in there.

      I have no idea who Michael Franti is, but I'll look him up.

      Delete
    2. I don't know... songs I hate usually don't get stuck in my head. Possibly, it's because I don't listen to music as much as I used to, because music is just too distracting to me when I'm writing, which is, like, always.

      Check the songs "Say Hey (I Love You)" (you've probably heard that one and just didn't know it (it's been movies and TV shows all over the place)) and "The Sound of Sunshine." After that, you can just sit down with the album All Rebel Rockers.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you are doing well in achieving all your goals, M.J. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing well. It makes me very suspicious.

      Delete
  9. Nice job with keeping up with your goals!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on meeting all your goals. I did the same with my goals I set for the month. When I realized it, I was a bit shocked. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I kept checking the list for goals that I missed because I couldn't possibly have reached them all.

      Delete
  11. I'd say you were quite productive last week. I had a crazy week too and accomplished a lot. And yes I'll be singing Don't worry Be Happy all day now. Thanks. :s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in my head all weekend. I need to find some cooler music.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on getting stuff done!! Nothing beats a completely checked off 'to do' list.

    I need to read more, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love checking stuff off my to-do list. It's one of my very favorite things.

      Delete
  13. 203 pages? Wow, M.J., you're an editing fiend! In fact, your success has inspired me to do some editing of my own... which is a bad idea since I haven't finished the draft yet. You are such a bad influence. Watch, next you'll have me parallel parking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you figure out the parallel parking thing, could you teach me?

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on completing all your goals this week! That's awesome.

    And good luck with the parallel parking. It's really not that scary if you just remember to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do always forget the breathing thing. I'll have to write myself a note.

      Delete
  15. I'm not a fan of city driving either but I've gotten better at it.
    Good luck with those goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's especially sad is that I used to live in the city, and now I can't find my way around it.

      Delete
  16. I can't parallel park either, and I live in a fairly large city (not L.A., but not very far from). That's probably why I don't drive much. If I can help it.

    And I refuse to get that song stuck in my head. I hate that song. So much. And then our high school band director put it in the half time show. Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived in the city, I wouldn't drive much either. And not just because I wouldn't be able to park anywhere.

      Delete
  17. Great job! 203 pages is amazing work :). Good luck with this week. I'm sure you'll do great.

    Also, can you be my aunt? I know you're no where near old enough but please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for assuming I'm nowhere near old enough. =)

      Delete
  18. Well done! You totally deserve to feel good. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. way to go, woman!
    i dont like big cities either, but i'm determined to go to new york someday...

    looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gone to NYC on a couple of occasions, but I did not—and will not—drive there.

      Delete
  20. Awesome job on your goals! Loved the Supernatural nod. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know someone got the Supernatural nod. =)

      Delete
  21. Sounds like you're being very productive - and I love the part about spoiling your niece! Wish I could do that, but mine all live so very far away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece is about an hour's drive away, so I don't see her as much as I'd like, but I try to get down to visit at least once a week.

      Delete
  22. Good luck with that next list of goals!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hurray for finishing your goals!!! And for spoiling your niece. That's what nieces are for.

    And now..."Don't worry, be happy! Don't worry, be happy now." I only know the slug version from Flushed Away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unfamiliar with the slug version of the song, but I am now YouTube bound.

      Delete