Monday, January 14, 2013

Winning. Or Maybe Just Not Losing

Wes Welker, I love you!
First let me get this out of the way...

THE PATRIOTS WON!!!! THE PATRIOTS WON!!!!

I was a little concerned because, going into last night's game, I hadn't picked one single winner in any of the playoff games. I rooted for the Bengals and then the Vikings. I rooted for the Redskins. I even rooted for the Colts, a fact that made my father-in-law proud but caused my stomach to hurt.  I then rooted for the Broncos (because I really dislike the Ravens, despite their literary based name)  and the Packers.

But I put on my lucky tee shirt (seriously, the Pats haven't lost a game this season when I've been wearing that shirt) and paced around. I swore at the refs (a lot) and didn't truly relax until the time ran out and my boys in blue were the victors.

And next weekend, I get to do it all over again. (somewhere The Man is groaning and plotting a trip to anywhere) Woo Hoo!

Moving on...

Last Monday I posted a list of four goals that I meant to accomplish during the week. And here's the funny thing... I actually did it. Early even. I finished the fourth and final goal on Thursday afternoon. I really didn't know what to do with myself then. Sad, I know, but true.


1.  Work out at least three times this week.


I ran/walked a total of 10.5 miles last week. Not a lot, I know, but last year I only ran/walked a total of 10 miles the entire month of January. This would be more.

2. Write a workable draft of a book blurb.

I am now the proud-ish owner of a book blurb draft. It's quite possibly the worst thing I've ever written but it's a jumping off point, right? I thought briefly about sharing said blurb draft with you so y'all could tear it apart and tell me how to make it better, but it's so bad it's embarrassing so maybe I'll just take another crack at it first.
 
3. Clear out the jeans I no longer wear and put them in the 'donate' pile.


Six pairs of jeans, three pairs of corduroy pants into the pile and all of a sudden, I no longer look like I hoard denim. Just novels.

4. Get a freaking haircut.

I was concerned this would be the goal I would fail at because that would truly be ridiculous but I went to a salon in town and begged them for a walk-in appointment. I'm pretty sure the hairdresser took one look at me and figured it was her civic duty to help the helpless so she squeezed me in. Fortunately, she has German shepherds so we had something to talk about. I don't know if you know this about me but I kind of suck at small talk.

But I survived the social interaction (all fifteen minutes of it) and decided to celebrate by taking a couple of days off. I went to the movies, as I promised myself I would, and saw both Les Miserables and The Hobbit. I'm tempted to post a mini review of each but that'll have to wait until another day.

Because right now, it's time to talk about this week's goals...

1. Work out at least three times this week.

It worked out (haha...) so well last week so why not, right?

2. Take another pass at the book blurb to make it something less embarrassing. 

It's really bad, y'all. I am not kidding.

And I also think that's all for goals. For this week at least. I'm sure I'll think of something to add to it later.

What are your goals for the week? 

57 comments:

  1. Awesome! Can't wait to read your blurb. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for it to be good enough for people to read.

      Delete
    2. Or, you could let a few people you trust read it, give you feedback and then you can make it even better. (=

      Delete
    3. I have considered showing it to my writers group but it is really bad.

      Delete
  2. You had corduroy pants? Really? Aren't you younger than me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Store always carries corduroy pants in the fall/winter. And they sell really well.

      Delete
    2. I thought those things went away in the 70s because they're a fire hazard...

      Delete
    3. Um...
      *looks down*
      I'm wearing chocolate colored corduroy pants.
      *gets up, looks in mirror*
      :/

      Delete
    4. Just... stay away from open flames. Wait— that's good advice regardless of what type of pants you're wearing.

      Delete
  3. Great job on achieving your goals! Writing them down really does help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As does posting them in some public place. I find it helps hold me accountable.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on completing your goals! I desperately need a hair cut, haven't been to a hairdressers in about a year...I'm also really bad at small talk, that's probably one of the reasons why I haven't been in so long, plus the fact that I don't want to part with my money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hairdresser was looking at my hair and was like, "So... I guess it's been a while since you've had a haircut." And was then disappointed when I requested something maintenance free.

      Delete
  5. The Patriots HAVE to take down the Ravens next week - it's their civic duty.
    Good stuff on the goals! Hey, I wrote the synopsis for my next book and it sucks as well. We can only make them better from this point, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me eight months to write a synopsis that didn't suck. Here's hoping the blurb doesn't take that long.

      Delete
  6. Well done, MJ! One of my goals was to join GoodReads - check! I also went bike riding this weekend, something I haven't done in awhile, and I plan on doing it again this week/weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today the temperature's supposed to be above freezing so I'm planning to run/walk outside.

      Delete
  7. It was a sad, sad football weekend for me. But I do hope the Patriots beat the Ravens in a blowout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope for that too.

      I was shocked— seriously shocked— by the outcome of the Boncos game.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad I decided to procrastinate a little because I'm your 500th follower!!! I feel kind of special.

    I laughed out loud at your #2 goal for last week. Why is writing a blurb or a query so hard? It doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for becoming my 500th follower. Please imagine balloons and confetti falling from the ceiling... =)

      Delete
  9. Oooh! A new haircut. I should probably get one soon. I hope you achieve all your goals this coming week :)Good luck! YOu can do it!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were in Boston yesterday so there was lots of Patriot's fever going on.
    Good luck with the workouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boston is a crazy place to be when their team (any team) is in the play offs. Love the energy though.

      Delete
  11. I love your goals, and I loved the story about the haircut - I always thought it was just me that struggled with making small talk with hairdressers, and had them take pity on me.
    Best wishes with your goals this week. I may have to start posting some weekly goals on my blog too. I can see the benefit of having them out there, and having them manageable tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, part of the reason I delayed so long in getting a haircut was worrying about what I'd talk about with the hairdresser. Sad, but true.

      Delete
  12. I've been similarly off with my picks so far, although with GB/SF I kind of rooted for both teams. Anyway, I've got my 18-month-old all to myself four nights this week, so my goals should be pretty obvious:
    1. Be productive (writing-wise) at least once after he's gone to bed.
    2. Teach him to laugh maniacally.

    Best of luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were me, I'd probably make that #2 goal the #1 goal. Being productive is overrated.

      Delete
    2. But ha! I was already productive last night! So now I get to focus on #2 the next four days. I'll have myself a tiny mad genius by the end of the week! Mwahahahaha!

      Delete
  13. my goals are simple, keep writing and look for a job, preferably one I'll like. My son was happy the Pats won, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to end up with a job you like. I usually have to settle for a job I can tolerate.

      Delete
  14. You follow football and you have nothing to talk about? I thought that was the whole point of following sports.

    I generally let my hairdresser pick the topic of conversation. I find it works better that way.

    Let us see the blurb. I bet it's not as bad as you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if the hairdresser doesn't follow sports?? I tried letting her pick the topic of conversation but she ran out after "Do you live around here?"

      And there's a chance the blurb is actually worse than I think...

      Delete
  15. great! but you're such a tease!
    no sharing the blurb and no haircut photo...boooo
    i cant wait to see les mis! on video...
    but hobbit was wonderful, wasnt it? glad i forced myself to go, even tho i am so behind on so much!
    ah well, it gets done.

    have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A picture of my haircut would involve showing a picture of me and I don't really like pictures of me all that much.

      And if I shared the blurb in its current state, no one would ever come back to this blog because y'all would likely be too busy pointing and laughing.

      Delete
  16. My 49ers WON!! Woohoo!

    I'm sorta hoping for a 49ers/Patriots Superbowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide which NFC team I'd rather the Pats face. I keep going back and forth.

      Delete
  17. It was a tough decision to throw away/donate old clothes that I outgrew. I kept telling myself "I'll lose the weight." But without the distraction, I'm able to focus much better. Now if I could just avoid a cold this winter, I'll be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got over a month long cold that totally kicked my ass. If you see it coming your way, run like hell in the opposite direction.

      Delete
  18. Good luck with your goals! It sounds like you did awesome with them last week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on getting your goals. Keep it goin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm happy for you that the Pats won, although I was routing for the Texans. I didn't have a good football weekend at all. I was also routing for the Broncos, the Seahawks and the Packers :) Oh well.
    That is great that you are so committed to your goals that you are putting them out there for all of us. It keeps you accountable. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! Both for you and the Pats (I'm not much of a sports fan, but they are the local team :). Great job on your goals. I'm sure you can do it this week, too, even though blurbs are evil.

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blurbs really are evil. No argument here.

      Delete
  22. Congrats on the Pats. My office mate is a big fan of the team and he was just talking today about all of the anxiety he went through on Sunday only to have to go through it again next week. He's a little disappointed that I'm not a Ravens fan (I'm a Marylander but grew up with the Skins) as that limits the trash talk potential for the week.

    Congrats, also, on surviving the small talk ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of my co-workers are Ravens fans either. We're all for the Pats all the way.

      Delete
  23. You rooted for the Vikings? I'm so sorry. I have no idea what happened during the game but Beloved Husband screamed at the TV a lot and then came into the writing room looking pathetic and said he had given up at half time.

    I hope the Pats go all the way for you! And good luck with the book blurb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really thought the Vikings would play better. I wasn't so invested in it that I screamed at the television or anything but I did think it wouldn't be as bad as it was.

      I save all my screaming for Patriot games.

      Delete
  24. I'm bad at getting my hair cut too. It's short so I need it done every 6 weeks. I always make the next appointment as I'm leaving or I'd end up with long hair. My hairdresser knows I don't do small talk, so she's finally learnt to accept the 20 minute silence we share :-)

    Well done for achieving all your goals. How did this week go? (Just realised I'm late to this post, so changed that question!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should've done that with my hairdresser because I like to keep my hair short too but I wasn't that smart.

      This week's goals haven't gone as well as last week's, which is pathetic because there were only two of them. Better luck next time, I suppose.

      Delete