Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Year Of Doing Better

Happy New Year, everyone. I hope you all had a safe and happy holiday.

I had an evening of trying to get my anxiety ridden dog through the town's firework festivities (we haven't yet found anything that works on a consistent basis), followed by scrubbing vomit out of the rug when all our efforts failed.

Have I mentioned how much I love fireworks?

But it's all over now, the dog's still alive and my rug is clean again, as is my slate. A slightly convoluted segue but what else would you expect from the mind behind this blog?

As I mentioned yesterday, today I shall reveal the five major goals I am setting myself for the year 2013.  And boy, are they going to look familiar.  Here's hoping for a very productive 2013 if for no other reason than I'll get to write all brand new goals come 2014...

1.  Publish Effigy

Every year I get a little bit closer. And I have every reason to believe that this year will be the year I actually make it happen.

2.  Participate in NaNoWriMo 2013

This is, interestingly enough, the goal about which I am the least sure. But November just wouldn't seem like November to me anymore without this challenge so I'm going to sign up and see where the fates take me.

3.  Be a better blogger

Last year, I ignored this blog quite a lot. This year I shall endeavor to do better. I resolve to post more regularly and to visit other blogs more regularly. I keep missing out on awesome stuff and I'm looking to stop that.

4.  Walk, run or bike at least 500 miles

This goal is designed to make sure I at least make an attempt to be healthy and active.

5.  De-clutter

It really needs to be done. And every year I get a little bit closer to being able to see the back of my closets. How in the world did I accumulate such... stuff?  The bonus is, if I get rid of it, I'll have more room for books.

THAT'S GOING TO do it for me on this fine holiday. Did you set any goals/resolutions? Did you set a resolution and have already broken it? Did I ever tell you about that one year when I made a goal to eat more donuts? That was the one year when I accomplished every goal I set for myself. Maybe I should set that goal again...

Until next time...


23 comments:

  1. We signed up for a winter challenge. One mile run every day the whole month of January. And living in New England means that this can either be a cake walk or a nightmare. We did this though, so we would ensure that we stayed with the "getting healthy" thing we started in August.

    Day one... I'm good. Tony and Youngest... not looking so good, but the day is young. :) 500 miles is a great goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not brave enough to run outside in January. Or February. Or March. But I will run inside the house. Just not today. =)

      Delete
    2. Today's run wasn't so bad actually... and for the next ten days, it's nothing but sunshine and unseasonably warm temps (low 40's) so I know I'll at least make it to day ten. :) I asked if we could run on our treadmill... it's out in the unheated, drafty, non-attached garage. They said no. :)

      Delete
    3. Now see, if the temps around here would be in the low 40's, I'd run outside. But as we're in the teens with wind chills below zero, I think I'll stick inside for now. I see a few people jogging when I'm out and I applaud their dedication. I just won't be joining them for a few months.

      Delete
  2. Reset and go for it! Ne sure to reward yourself with each step.
    Sorry about the dog vomit.
    Happy New Year!
    Now back to taking down the Christmas decorations...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I actually took down my Christmas decorations. Why didn't I make that a goal???

      Hindsight's always perfect...

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year!

    I don't have any resolutions but your ones sound awesome. I think realistic ones are the best. :-)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why I didn't make any resolutions involving the invisible jet. Or the giving up of brownies. =)

      Delete
  4. When you make resolutions or goals, it at least shows you have the Intent to do well. Good luck. I called mine 'goals' this year, just for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I always intend to do well.

      Delete
  5. Your goals sound realistic and achievable. I think you are going to rock them all! Good luck. I love the doughnut goal. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I forgot to say that fireworks suck! Poor animals. My cat was not pleased either...

      Delete
    2. I loved that donut goal too. So delicious.

      I have two cats and one dog who couldn't care less about fireworks. But the one anxiety ridden dog makes up for their lack of concern.

      Delete
  6. Resolutions! Bah on resolutions!

    We didn't have puke last night, just poop. After all the fireworks, the dog decided to go drop a load for me. yea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah fireworks. Having lived within Disneyland firework distance for my entire childhood, I tune the silly things out (after years of 9:30 PM fireworks every summer, they lose their luster).

    And what is a "better blogger"?

    As for me, I don't do resolutions. Because I'm contrary that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a train that goes by my house regularly in the spring and summer. Neither the dogs or I notice that anymore. But fireworks are a far rarer event. Thank goodness.

      And I really have no idea what a better blogger is. But I endeavor to become one anyway.

      Delete
  8. I like your goal of 500 miles worth of exercise.

    Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your goal #4 sounds awesome. Good luck, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very noble goals. I hope this year is the year, too. Keep at it! I set tons of goals (well, seven), and I won't give up until the last seconds of 2013 run out. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me with the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon. :)

    Isn't it funny how we rarely make goals about "eating more dessert" (I think we need a post about your donut eating one!) or "having more fun"? My husband says he wants to spend more time at the beach, so that's pretty close. And I guess my Year of Yes activities might qualify...

    Good luck with all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, these sound familiar. In any case, good luck this year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. had to read w/c & h on top!
    we purge clutter year round. vietnam vets just called today. i love giving to them because they pick it up at my house!

    looking forward to seeing these goals spanked this year!

    ReplyDelete