Monday, December 31, 2012

The Year Of Failing Miserably

While I have widely ignored this blog this month (and year), I have decided to crawl out of my cave for today's post.  This is the time when I look back at the goals I set for myself last January and see just how well I did with them.  More often than not, I lament my poor performance and, as you can probably infer from the title of today's post, this year has turned out to be no different.  Not that I was a complete failure.  It's just that when I set a goal for myself, I really expect to accomplish it.  I hate not accomplishing goals so I'm coming away from this year rather irritated with myself.

Must be Monday.

Anyway, here's the 2012 rundown... the five goals will be in bold (bolded?).  Where I ended up with them will not.

1. Publish Effigy

Well, this shouldn't come as a surprise to any of you, considering how many times over the course of this past year I blogged about my inability to make this happen.  I did make strides toward accomplishing this goal (hello, gorgeous cover art!) so I am now than ever (harder to get further away) to success.  Guess what my number #1 goal for next year will be!

2.  Participate in NaNoWriMo 2012.

Technically I did do this, even though I really only participated in the first week and a half before Bad Things happened and I shut down faster than... something that shuts down really fast.  I ended up with 14,059 words.  Not horrible, I guess, but a long cry from 50,000.

3. Read 60 books.


I've read 83 books so far this year.  There's a chance I'll add one more to that total, provided I can stay awake long enough to finish it. And that's not a statement as to how interesting the book in question is— although it hasn't been very interesting— but rather my current inability to stay awake for long periods of time (curse you, mono or mono-like virus!).  So I'm guessing I'm going to finish the year at 83.  Not bad at all.

4. Walk or run or bike at least 500 miles.

Nope.  Didn't make this one either.  According to my mileage tracker, I only walked and/or ran 250 miles.  Next year I should probably write down all my mileage.

5. De-Clutter.


Well, I did manage to take five bags of clothing down to the Goodwill but that really just barely scratches the surface that is the clutter in my house.  So I hardly think it counts.  But it's a start.

TWO OUT OF FIVE gives me a success rate of 40% (if I did the math correctly anyway. There's a reason I'm a writer and not a mathematician).  Not great, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I supposed it could've been a lot worse.  Be sure to tune in tomorrow when I reveal my five goals for 2013. Of course, you probably know one of them already. But you don't want to miss the other four... (Note to self: come up with four other goals)

So, until next time, have a fantastic New Year, everyone.  And remember, the consumption of four bottles of white wine will lead you to make stupid resolutions the following day (Or so I'm told. I would never drink four bottles of white wine. Again...) so please celebrate responsibly!

See y'all next year!

 

22 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, of all the times I've done NaNo (three or four times, by my reckoning) I've never once even hit 14,059 words. Something about November is cursed -- I am certain of it!

    I'm dying to see the cover art you were so excited about. *sits on hands* Maybe instead of "Publish Effigy" as a goal, you should make a list of milestone goals? Just a thought.

    I did not meet my book-reading goal this year, but that's partly because I am terrible about tracking my reading and partly because this year was so busy that most of my reading was re-reads of previously-read books -- they are easier to put down when I need to do something else, and it's comforting to read a familiar book, like slipping into a pair of comfy slippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll set the "Publish Effigy" goal in January as a year long goal, then each month I set smaller, more achievable goals that help pave the way to accomplishing the big goal. I hit a few stumbling blocks in 2012. I hope to avoid them in 2013.

      This was the first year I lost NaNo. I've actually taken it a lot better than I thought I would so there's hope for me yet!

      Delete
  2. Hey, I think you did okay so don't be so hard on yourself. Plus you took time to read my book to which I'm eternally thankful. I can't wait to read Effigy and pay back the favor.

    I didn't participate in NaNo, but I did at least get started on book three of my series. I'm up to 20K words now, which I think is a solid start. Hopefully, I'll be able to add to that in 2013.

    And I'm with Cally...I want to see what Rusty did for you. I like looking at his art and think Rusty and I should do a collaboration at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your book quite a lot and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel in 2013.

      And I also look forward to sharing Rusty's beautiful cover with everyone. Seriously, I'm not sure I'm worthy.

      Delete
  3. I don't think you did badly. When bad stuff happens, well, everything just gets derailed. I know how frustrating it is when things seem to gang up on you.

    Have a happy happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of the problem was me. But here's hoping I can get out of my own next in 2013...

      Delete
  4. You made progress on all of those goals and that's a huge accomplishment in itself. How many people make goals and don't do anything? How many don't even bother to try anything new? See - you're already ahead of the game. :)

    I read 74 books this year - my goal for next year is 100. Definitely doable. I think...

    Happy 2013, MJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the 100 books in a year goal a few years back and I finished up with 103, I think. It's not easy but it's definitely do-able.

      Delete
  5. I just sort of assumed you were stuck in The Store Hell of holiday sales during December or I would have been checking up on you.

    I'm impressed with your book count. I wish I could manage even half of that any more.

    Just in case you missed it, there are links of the U2 songs on my post to youtube of the various songs, so you can find Unchained Melody pretty easily that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, The Store's business dies down in December and they don't take advantage of my attitude problems nearly as often. Their loss... =)

      Delete
  6. You may not have made all the goals, but you made fantastic progress. Excellent read book count! Have an awesome new year's eve and I'll see you tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is true that I did make progress. I chip away at it a little more each year. Eventually, I'll get it all done. I think...

      Delete
  7. 40%? You're not giving yourself partial credit on the others. Which you should.

    How close towards publishing Effigy did you get? Cover art. Serious revisions. If a win in that category is worth 20%, I think you should give yourself at least 10% towards that goal if not 15%.

    You didn't make 500 miles, but you made 250. That's 10% right there.

    My trusty calculator tells me you got 28% of the way through NaNo. That gives you 6% more.

    And any decluttering is good. I'll give you another 5% (10%?).

    So, your success rate comes out to 71%. (Or 76% if you take 15% for #1.) Not 100%. But progress. And 71% is not a fail. It's a pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I was always the teacher who would offer partial credit to her students but not accept partial credit for her own endeavors.

      And 5% for decluttering is probably more than generous. I mean, I didn't even touch the basement. =)

      Delete
  8. Now, that wasn't run 500 miles in a row, was it?
    And you have cover art. (Which we really want to see! Don't make me bribe Rusty.) You are closer.
    Plus your books read blows mine out of the water.
    You know what you need to do next year. And you will do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, 500 miles over the course of the year. I'm laughing at the idea of a 500 mile run. Maybe once I get my bionic woman upgrades but not before then...

      Delete
  9. Two out of five aint bad at all. Decluttering is worth 40 points in my book And you wrote this summary post, so you get bonus points for that! Don't worry, next year will be better, for sure.

    Have a happy new year!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 out of 5 isn't bad. It could've been worse. 1 out of 5 or 0 out of 5. But not making that first goal really gets under my skin.

      Delete
  10. So bad things happened and you shut down faster than . . . a really good computer? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did this year. Hope to avoid it next year.

      Delete
  11. You didn't fail. You learned some lessons that's all.

    Happy New Year!

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. always selling yourself short! publishing is tough and unless you are going to self pub, it is a hard task to give yourself. me working on my query is what did it for me (and finally finding the right fit!) glad it will be #1 again!
    2, participate you did!
    3, books read!
    4, walk or run, i would count that! esp all those hours walking around in the store, right?
    5, declutter never ends so some is something!

    4/5! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete