Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Now I've Got The Look (And a Song Stuck in My Head)

What??  Two posts in two days?  That's crazy!  Did the earth start rotating backward or something??

Anyway... Earlier this month, C.M. Brown tagged me in the 'You've Got The Look' meme.  This meme has been going around the blogosphere for a while now so you're probably all very familiar with it but, in case you're not, here are the rules:

Participants are asked to do the following:

— Go to your current WIP
— Hunt down the word 'look'
— Post the surrounding paragraphs
— Tag five other people

and today my excerpt comes from Second Nature

§§§

“Where’s Dana?” James said finally.

Faolan was surprised by the question.  He knew the subject of Dana’s whereabouts would be inevitable but he hadn’t thought that, at that particular moment, Dana’s would be the first name off James’s lips.  Faolan looked to his right where, leaning against the wall, was Dana’s sword.

“Dana’s gone,” Faolan said.

“Gone where?”

“Away.”

“What does that mean?” James asked, bringing up his head to look at him.

“It means he’s not here,” Faolan said.

“Where did he go?”

“I don’t know,” Faolan said.  “Neither do I care.  He’s not my concern.”

“He should be,” James said.  “He should be here.  He should be the one doing this.”

Faolan had thought the same at first.  He had even said as much to Dana as he rousted the rebel leader from the homestead.  But meeting Cate, being in that room with her even for that short amount of time, had convinced him otherwise.  Now, somehow, he thought there was no one better suited for this task than James.

“No,” Faolan said.  “He shouldn’t be.”

§§§

And now comes the part where I am supposed to tag five other people but I never do that part.  As always, I invite you to tag yourself.  Just make sure to let me know you do it so I can be sure to check out your stories.

That's going to do it for me today as I have a shift at The Store.  Thanks to C.M. Brown for including me in this meme and thanks to my readers for stopping by... it's always appreciated!

26 comments:

  1. You're funny. Tag yourself. I already got tagged in this. And it's a great way to share what you've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed reading people's 'look' excerpts. It's been a fun meme.

      Delete
  2. I like your excerpt and I wonder just what in the heck they are doing. Are they cutting up a body? Sorry, that is a bit morbid. But wait, Dana left his sword?! Hummmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no bodies being cut up. At least not in this scene... (cue evil laughter)

      Delete
  3. You really need to finish polishing your book and take the next step. We want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to figure that eventually I'll post everything via an excerpt. Then everyone will be able to copy and paste their own copy of the books. That'll probably be quicker than waited for me...

      Delete
  4. I'm with Alex - I want to read this book/these books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I want to finish them. Someday. Probably. Maybe. =)

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I want to get to know this James a bit more. ;) Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. James is one of my favorite characters so I love to hear that.

      Delete
  6. This is such a fun meme! I loved the excerpt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This meme is fun. It's a neat way to get a peek at someone's WIP.

      Delete
  7. I liked it! I want to learn more about Dana now. He interests me. I think it is the idea of him leaving his sword and vanishing when he is clearly needed...*Raises eyebrows at him*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James isn't very forgiving of it either. But in Dana's defense, there are reasons. I think.

      Delete
  8. Oh boy...I think I use "look" way too much. However, I do like the piece you have posted here. You have great writing talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I use 'look' too much in certain scenes. Fortunately, this was the first scene I came across.

      And thank you very much. I really appreciate that.

      Delete
  9. So what you're saying is that the word "look" should only be in my entire MS once?
    Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules may suggest that but I don't.

      Delete
  10. Aww, I wonder where Dana is. Great job with the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell anyone but I wonder where Dana is too...

      Delete
  11. I like this little 'looky' thing. I did it a few weeks ago. I had way too many looks. Interesting excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few scenes, after this one, where I thought I had waaaaay too many looks. Guess I'll be doing some rewriting soon.

      Delete
  12. i love snark in castle speak!
    gone where?
    away
    what does that mean?
    it means not here

    love it! and the conclusion!

    ReplyDelete