Friday, November 2, 2012

In Which I Review Books

Today's picture was supposed to be of books but I accidentally clicked on the brownie picture instead.  Easily fixable, I know, but I decided to leave it because (a) brownies are delicious and (b) it made me laugh, so what the hell.

These particular brownies came from Mike's Pastry on Hanover Street in Boston.  If you ever have the chance to go, you really should (bring cash).  And don't let the long lines fool you (last time I was there, the lines were out the door and down to the end of the block)... they move fast.

Now, with that PSA out of the way, let's talk books.  This isn't going to be a very long list today.  I didn't get a lot read in October except that's not exactly true.  I read both of my novels, Effigy and Second Nature (or what exists of Second Nature anyway) in order to make a new punch list of errors.  But I'm not going to review them for you today because I'll be too hard on myself (way too many errors!) and then spend the rest of the day crying under my desk because that M.J. Fifield's just so mean.

But here's what I will review for you:

The Raven Boys- Maggie Stiefvater- So last year around this time, I wrote a review of Steifvater's novel The Scorpio Races and I gushed over it.  A lot.  And then I gushed over it some more because I freaking loved (and still do) that book.  So this year, I pick up The Raven Boys and I bring it to the Keys with me and I start reading it on a beach and because I get so sucked into the story, I forget to turn over and I end up with a partially sunburned ass which affects my ability to sit properly the rest of the vacation and I don't care (much anyway) because the book is freaking awesome.  Her character creation, her writing style, the damn ending, all of it just blew me away.  The worst thing about this book is that I don't have the next one and I have to wait for the next one and  I don't want to wait because I want to know what happens next because I love these characters.  Blue and her Raven boys (Gansey and Adam and Ronan and Noah)— beautiful, just awesome.  I want to become best friends with Maggie Stiefvater so I can read everything she writes as she writes it.  Down to her grocery lists because I figure they have to be pretty damn awesome too.

Reflected In You- Sylvia Day- I read the first book in this series sometime ago.  This is the second.  It continues the adventures of damaged lovers Eva and Gideon.  And I found it to be kind of repetitive.  Very repetitive.  There was a lot of "I love you but I don't trust you so I can't be with you anymore. Wait, I do trust you, I guess I can be with you. No, wait, I don't trust you so I can't be with you anymore" going on and it got very boring.  There's a Big Event that's revealed toward the end that does make me wonder how that might affect their relationship (which is on again by the end) in the third book.

Dead To You- Lisa McMann- So I've read a few of her books and outright didn't like the last one (Cryer's Cross... something about a haunted desk? Whatever.) but the premise of this book I found very intriguing.  Ethan was abducted from his family when he was seven years old and finds his way back to them nine years later.  Things are all right at first and then things start falling apart.  So let me just say... I love 99% of this book.  I love the way it's written and I love the characters.  So, so good.  I worried during the whole of this book, worried about how things were going to turn out for the characters because I wanted good things for them but I knew something was going to happen that wouldn't be good, and this is always a mark of how good a book is.  But then there was the ending.  Yeah, I'm going to harp on the ending again (and I still need to write my post on good versus bad endings, I know) and without getting into too many details... It stopped where I thought the story was just getting started.  And as far as I know, this is a stand-alone novel and there is no more story to come but I desperately want to know what happens next.  I needed more.

34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Reading it, sure. But reviewing it seems weird.

      Delete
  2. I've got both THE SCORPIO RACES and THE RAVEN BOYS on my TBR list. I've also got DEAD TO YOU - thanks for the warning re the ending. I've read a number of books like that lately, mostly YA, where I thought they were stand-alones but they actually weren't. And yet nowhere on the cover did I see "first in the series" etc unless I missed it. It's just frustrating when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever Maggie Stiefvater has a new book out, she gets one of those express passes to the front of my TBR line. I hope you enjoy them when you get to them.

      Delete
  3. M.J. I would love to see you do a review on your book in ANOTHER character's POV.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to invent a character who loves everything she reads...

      Delete
  4. I had the same reaction to The Scorpio Races. Best read for me this year I think. The Raven Boys is next on my TBR list. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I described The Scorpio Races as awesome covered in awesome sauce. I hope you love The Raven Boys too.

      Delete
  5. I'm in the middle of three books right now (and one graphic novel), and they're all chocolatey and delicious.

    Thanks for the recommendations, M.J. Once I'm done with my current pile, I'll have to seek out one of those two by Stiefvater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you confuse books and cake again? I mean, if you did, I totally get it. It happens to me a lot. I mean, that never happens to me...

      Delete
  6. I will add The Raven Boys to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you're saying that Maggie's stuff is okay then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part. I didn't swoon over her Wolves of Mercy Falls series but her last two books have definitely rocked my world.

      Delete
  8. I fell like such a bad writer, I haven't read a whole book since September. Started a few, put them down, picked up another one...just can't seem to get into the reading groove, or any kind of groove lately. :/ Brownies, yes, that may be a groove I could get into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of months where the only thing I read is Entertainment Weekly and my horoscope in the local paper.

      But brownies are a groove I never get out of.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the heads up. I LOVED Scorpio Races. Just added Raven Boys to the top of my TBR list, and brownies to the middle of my torso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brownies... (insert my Homer Simpson impression here)

      Delete
  10. I read a book like that once--one that just got interesting as it ended. I was not pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead To You was interesting the entire way through. It just ended entirely too soon.

      Delete
  11. I've been looking for Maggie Stiefvater work because I have heard so many people ranting over it for so long. I might have to read the Race book. I'm not much for horse races but everyone really seems to like it, and if that many people like it that much, it is sure to be good.

    The brownie made me hungry. And I don't have brownies so now I am sad.

    Hm, your editor sounds like mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scorpio Races is no typical horse race. You should check it out. You won't be disappointed (I hope...)

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't mind reading Maggie Stiefvater's grocery list's, either. I wasn't a big fan of the Wolves of Mercy Falls, but The Scorpio Races knocked my socks off, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I said to Andrew. I think Stiefavter really found her stride with The Scorpio Races (no racing pun intended).

      Delete
  13. I love the brownie picture... so much better than books!

    Dead to You sounds great. Hubby complains my books always end too soon, so it sounds like I'd love the ending :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I had Raven Boys on a post it note to bring to the bookstore, lest I get distracted by shiny covers...now I am just distracted by brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i still need to read scorpio races! and see? these are awesome!

    books and brownies, sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to put down The Raven Boys for heavy revisions and then it was packed away when I moved. I've been counting down the days when I'll get to unpack it and start reading again!!! Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those brownies look delicious! Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those brownies are very distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love brownies. ;) I can't wait to read The Raven Boys, I've loved every book Maggie has written. She writes so beautifully!

    I wasn't too big on Cryer's Cross either and the ending of Dead to You left me with a LOT of unanswered questions. Like you, I felt that the book cut off just when it was getting really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to read Reflected in you book, because trusting people in my weakness.
     http://www.samplebusinesstemplates.com/ 

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are largest pet supplier in the world because we have lots of pet for sale.petstoresupplier

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pscbookmarking.com offers high page rank do follow social bookmarking sites list Dofollow social bookmarking list

    ReplyDelete