Thursday, November 1, 2012

544

It's November 1st.  You know what that means?  Yes, it means that I'm procrastinating on my NaNoWriMo project (more on that in a minute) but it means that another NaBloWriMo has come to an end and that I, once again, managed to blog all thirty one days October had to offer.

I'm a little blogged out and I'm sure y'all are sick of seeing me pop up in your blog feeds.  The good news for all involved is that while I'm intending to scale things back to two or maybe three posts a week, there's an excellent chance that I'm going to fall off the face of the earth all together.  Again.

So I'm a little bit surprised that I'm posting today.  Maybe I shouldn't be.  Surprised, that is.  I am, after all, procrastinating on my brand spankin' new NaNoWriMo project and what better way to do that than to write something else, right?  As of the moment I'm typing this sentence, the project in question is a whopping 544 words long (only 49,456 more to go!).  There's no plot, no set genre, and my main character doesn't have a name but other than that I think it's going very well.  It's going to be interesting (possibly maddening) to see where this thing goes because I honestly don't have any idea.  I have absolutely nothing planned out.

In my previous NaNoWriMo years, I started with a main character (with a name) and a genre.  For example, the first year I wrote a chick lit/romance novel which had certain elements I knew were needed.  Heroine?  Check.  Love interest?  Check.  Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back, boy and girl ride off into the sunset together?  Check, check, check and check.  So while I didn't exactly know how I was going to get there, I at least knew where there was.  The second year I wrote a YA urban fantasy about a sixteen year old demon hunter so I knew there would be some demon fightin' scenes and a world in peril plot which would eventually lead to a resolution where the world is saved.  So again, while I couldn't see the entire path to the end, I still knew it was there and approximate where it was going.  It's that whole headlights at night metaphor.

But this year,  I don't even know what I'm doing.  This year, my headlights are out completely.  This year, I'm fumbling through the woods and I don't have a working flashlight.  I mean, it kind of feels like a contemporary fiction piece, free of any supernatural elements and set in an everyday place, but I'm only 544 words into the damn thing and the only thought I had before I started was "I want to write unhappy people" (as if I ever write anything else, I know) which lead to my first line.  There's still plenty of time for this thing to careen into something completely different.

And you know what?  I kind of can't wait for that to happen.

Cheers!

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kyra. I have a feeling that I will need it.

      Delete
  2. Good luck! Sounds like you're going to have a blast this NaNoWriMo!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as the chocolate holds out anyway...

      Delete
  3. 544 is better than 0. Just jump in and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. And last time at this year, I had 0.

      Delete
  4. Who knows - this might be your best project ever!
    And don't completely fall off the planet. We'd miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing at the 'best project ever' part but I do suppose anything's possible.

      Delete
  5. Go for it, MJ! Let the story and the characters tell you where they want to go... Maybe it's The Store. Maybe it's a cave on another planet.

    And congrats on all the blog posts! I, for one, enjoyed reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I appreciate you reading them. =)

      And oh, thanks for mentioning The Store. I think my main character might have a job now.

      Delete
  6. Good luck, have fun and here's to something wonderful for your NaNo this year. And what Alex said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So your character will wake up as someone else and find out she lives in a big complex with other people that also wake up as different people... and there will be a brooding vampire... and a guy that plays with dinosaurs...
    oh, wait! never mind...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm supposed to work on my story this month too, but I'm procrastinating. You and I can be the underachievers for this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No plot, no genre, no name... yep, I can identify on all of those! Hopefully we'll both find the path soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had a spark of an idea this afternoon while raking leaves. Still no thoughts on a name but maybe that'll be my hook.

      Delete
  10. That's a good start! I love NaNo for that reason. A lot of the years I've done it, I've not had an idea at all and I just started writing. I love seeing where stories take me. Some of them turned out pretty weird! Good luck and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that it's going so well. I really do think it'll be an interesting journey. If I can stop worrying about it and just do it, that is.

      Delete
  11. Best of luck, M.J.! I'm a plotter myself, but my first attempt at NaNo years ago started with little more than its opening line, and it has morphed into something much more fantastic (and complex) than I'd ever imagined. May yours turn out likewise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nate. That would be wonderful, should that happen.

      Delete
  12. Happy NaNo to you! I found myself blogging as well earlier today...not the most productive use of my sometimes limited computer time during November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging's more productive than some of my other online time wasters. I think I got a lot more work done before the internet became the norm. =)

      Delete
  13. Contemporary, huh? Maybe it'll morph into something else that only looks contemporary on the surface.

    I saw on your Twitter feed that you're a bit further along now. Congrats. And good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of hoping there's an alien invasion or a werewolf attack or something to get me back in that supernatural realm. Fingers crossed...

      Delete
  14. Sounds like you're embarking on a wild and crazy ride...oooh, how about setting the story in a Gap store????? ;)
    Mina's Resurrection Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it's set in an unnamed store. It's kind of a conglomeration of all the stores in which I've worked. But I've never worked for the Gap.

      Delete
  15. Good going on the 31 days of blogging! And now to jump into NaNo...you must be crazy ;). Have fun with your story. Flying blind in a new world is super fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there's any doubt that I am crazy. =)

      Delete
  16. This year seems to be the year for jumping in blind folded with no plot. I know there are many, including me, who are just writing and hoping something half way intelligible comes from it. At least you and I aren't alone in the blind writing. You seem to be off to a good start at least.

    Thank you. I am glad you liked the cover 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi MJ, but I have left a tag on my Blog for you. I hope you don't mind. CM

    ReplyDelete