Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vacation Slide Show

Here it is, kids, the day you've all been waiting for.  The continuation of my Key West vacation diaries.  Otherwise known as the one with all the pictures.  But, truth be told, I didn't take all that many pictures.  I usually take a hell of a lot more.  My first (and, sadly, last) trip to Ireland, I went through six rolls of film (yes, I am very old).  But here are the pictures I did take...

Tuesday


I found this van on Duval Street.  Whoever painted this is pretty damn talented.  I love it! 


They weren't lying.  And who says there's no truth in advertising? 

And here's the spot where I was going to post a picture of the giant cookies I found at a sweets shop on Duval street but there's something wrong with the file and the damn thing won't upload.  The important thing to know about these cookies is that they really were giant.  I mean, I could've put my hand on one and drawn a Thanksgiving turkey on it and still had room to spare.  The same establishment also had half pound brownies.  I wanted to live in that shop.  Unfortunately, they closed on Columbus Day.

Wednesday




In which we go to the beach.  The main point of our vacation was to spend the majority of our time lying on a white sand beach.  So on Wednesday, we went to Smathers Beach to do just that.

The Man worked on his tan and I found out one very important thing about beach vacations: I suck at them.  Contrary to popular belief, I am not good at lying around and doing nothing.  Instead I watched some people do battle with a hungry, hungry sea gull.  It's always kind of funny to watch people unfamiliar with sea gulls deal with sea gulls.



In the end, the sea gull won out.  The pringles were his.  Afterwards, I started reading Maggie Stiefvater's new book The Raven Boys.  This turned out to be a very bad idea.  I should've known better than to start that book while lying on my stomach in the hot southern Florida sun.  All I'm going to say is that I'm so very glad my bikini bottoms aren't any smaller.

Thursday


Since we were both sunburned (apparently, The Man sucks at putting on sunscreen. Not that I'm one to judge), we stuck by the hotel pool, in the one shady corner, where we were joined by a special guest:


We also made another visit to the giant cookie store where the cashier thanked me (well, the Red Sox) for my team sucking and helping his team (the evil empire) win the division.  I rose above it and still left the guy a tip.


Friday


Still sunburned but determined to go to the beach anyway so we walked to Higgs Beach.


where we hung out with the sea gulls and pelicans and skipped going in the water when we saw this sign:

Yes, I'm a chicken.

For dinner, we had chocolate cake and key lime pie.  Hey, it's a vacation.

Saturday


Our last day in Key West.  We ate lunch at The Lazy Gecko, the home of the southernmost Red Sox Nation contingent.  I picked this place because I knew it would be one place where I would not get shit for being a Red Sox fan.  Sometimes you want to go where everybody loves your team.


And then there was one last trip to the giant cookie store because I wanted a giant cookie to take home with me.  Turns out, it didn't make it out of Florida but hey, at least I tried.
 


 

33 comments:

  1. There's no saving giant cookies!
    So you were lounging at the pool with a rooster?
    I'm not good at laying around at the beach. And I would fry to a crisp in an hour, sunscreen or not.
    Did the vacation relax you though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? Relax? Let's not get crazy, Alex. =)

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to the beach in a long time. I don't usually burn but I do tend to fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever fallen asleep on the beach. Probably goes back to that not relaxing thing.

      Delete
  3. Went to the beach this summer. There were these pretty flags everywhere that would change color from day to day. I went to the fishing pier one day and found the legend used to interpret the flags. No joke, the color we saw most often meant something like 'stay out of the water, it's riddled with giant man-eating sharks.' that's not an exact quote, but it's close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, giant cookies, brownies, chocolate cake and key lime pie. Now that's a vacation. :)

    I used to be able to loll on the beach for hours - now I get too fidgety and would rather walk then sit. Maybe we're just getting old. But not too old for dessert for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can never be too old for dessert for dinner.

      Delete
  5. Sea gulls a/k/a beach chickens('cause I say so) always win no matter what. I can't tell you how many hot dogs and pieces of fried chicken they swooped down and stole before I even got a bite. They'll steal your food right out of your hands.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they will. Once one landed on my head, stole the bagel out of my hand and flew away before I even knew what happened.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had fun!
    People need to watch the third Indiana Jones...then they would know how to deal with sea gulls. (I plan to try it as soon as I find a flock of them.)

    Allons-y!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to remember the third Indy movie. I have a tendency to fall asleep during them.

      Delete
  7. I am actually incapable of laying around and doing nothing unless I'm asleep. The closest I can get is to be reading. Probably, though, you'd catch me with my notebook and a pen.
    You know, if the seagull problem is that bad, you can always resort to Alka-Seltzer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sea gulls don't bother me. They certainly were bothering that one couple on the beach though. And like the nice person I am, I went straight to their rescue...

      Delete
    2. Um... I don't really know what that means coming from you. :P

      Delete
  8. I'm jealous. I want to go to Key West and hook up with a nice single gay guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear it's a big party island. I personally didn't do any partying but I hear it's a great spot for that.

      Delete
  9. Great pictures! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very nice trip. Too warm for me, but The Man was certainly happy.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. That is indeed a chicken. They're all over Key West and get free run of the place.

      Delete
    2. Somehow not what one expects when one imagines Key West.

      Delete
  11. I have this great after-sun gel for when you get sunburned. I always intend to be good about the sunscreen, but I burn so easily. Perhaps that's why I never go to the beach. (Well, not never, exactly. It's kind of hard to say never when you're coastal adjacent, as in 10 min away.)

    Beaches are for walking, not for lounging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to bring some of that gel with us, just in case, but forgot it. And what was the one thing my mother said before I left? Don't forget sunscreen!

      Moms always know best.

      Delete
  12. Hey,

    I wiah I had of known you were going to Key Weird... I used to live there (Pre-giant cookie store days) and I still know a few peeps who could have hooked you and the Man up :)

    KW is sooooo much fun... thanks for the memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, loved the low-down on your vacation! Sure wouldn't mind one of those giant cookies right about now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I miss the giant cookies so, so much.

      Delete
  14. Great pictures! Looks like a fantastic vacation. Seagulls always seem to win when it comes to food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Giant cookies rock! And I'm happy you got to go to a p[lace where people love your team. I actually found a little place in Milwaukee that was a haven for Bears fans LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! I have just come back from a week away as well. I might try to post some photos next week on my blog!

    ReplyDelete