Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tuesday Ten: How 'bout a little angst with your coffee?

As promised (threatened?), today I will be sharing with you a ten paragraph (or thereabouts) excerpt from my soon-to-be (in theory anyway) released novel, Effigy.  (I don't have a proper cover for the novel yet so I used this rather pretty NaBloWriMo button instead)

If you're new to My Pet Blog, Effigy is the first installment in a series I call The Coileáin Chronicles.  It is a female centric, character driven epic fantasy novel which focuses on the Coileáin sisters and the role each plays in a struggle between good and evil.

Today's excerpt comes from one of my favorite scenes where the novel's MC, Haleine, has an encounter at her wedding with Revelin, her childhood sweetheart and the man she thought she would marry.  It's not the first time this scene has been on this blog but my resources here are a bit limited.  Plus, it's been a while so there's a good chance it'll be new to you.  At any rate, I hope you enjoy it!

§§§

 "Revelin?"

He lifted his head but did not look at her.  "You should not address me so informal."

"Was I not made your equal this day?" she asked, stopping just behind him.  "If I may not address you so now then when has it ever been appropriate before?"

"You misunderstand, your highness."

"Please don't call me that."

He turned.  "It is who you are now."

"No, it isn't."

"Yes it is.  You should be glad.  He has made you what I could not."

She shook her head.  "And if you think for a moment that matters to me then it is well and good our path has thus divided because you know me not at all," she said.  "Revelin, I would choose a lifetime of wretched poverty with you over all the title and riches in the world."

"Titles and riches you have but you will find choice is not among your luxuries, your highness."

"It is not the only thing," she said.  "I do not love him.  I will never love him."

Revelin smiled then.  "No one thought you would." 

§§§

AAAAAAAHHHHHH.  It kills me to end that scene there.  And I know it's my rule and my blog and I could easily change it but I feel as though I need to stand strong.  Or something.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by today.  Be sure to tune in tomorrow when I tackle this month's IWSG post.  Maybe by then, I'll have thought of a topic.  If you have any ideas for me, leave them below...

Cheers!

14 comments:

  1. Ooo! :)

    I remember the scene from awhile back where her parents are arguing about her having to marry who she does. These teasers are killing me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that scene too. Thought briefly about using that one today but I thought it would be too soon.

      Delete
  2. Great, great scene!

    Any news on a definite release date for Effigy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kyra. No, there's no definite date yet. I would love there to be one but the best I can do is by the end of the year. Maybe...

      Delete
  3. Powerful scene. And I hope your cover ends up being epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rusty. And I have no doubt that mu cover will be brilliant.

      Delete
  4. Awesome scene, M. I enjoyed it again! But what really lets me know that you are a full fledged author is the fact that you got a fancy dash to appear on the top of the a on a made up word. On Blogger, no less. That seals it. You've made it, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. And thanks for stopping by. It's always appreciated.

      Delete
  6. I love your dialogue!! It's always so good!! Can't wait for the release!

    ReplyDelete