Saturday, October 6, 2012

Saturday Soundbites

Morning, all.

I have decided that each Saturday I'll post a list of all the best things I saw or read or overheard or whatever over the course of the week.  I'll tell you straight: most of these things will come from television because I am a television addict and spend far too much time watching the damn thing.

But here's the thing... I was on vacation this week (headed home today) and I didn't watch as much television as I normally do so today's sampling is going to be a bit of a Key West grab bag.

Everybody caught up and ready?  Great.  Let's go...

Television

~"This place is fancy and I don't know which fork to kill myself with." ~Nick on New Girl

~Darren Criss's performance in this week's Glee (yes, I watch Glee.)


Books


~Maggie Stiefvater's new novel The Raven Boys... the truth is, I want to quote this entire book because I thought it was that frakking awesome but I am going to limit myself to this one line:

He was still wearing those idiotic Top-Siders she'd noticed at the reading, this time paired with cargo shorts and a yellow polo shirt that made it look like as if he were prepared for any sort of emergency, so long as the emergency involved him falling onto a yacht.


Music


~The Pete and Wayne Show at Sloppy Joe's Bar- caught part of these guys' show our last night in Key West. They're raunchy (very, very raunchy) and funny (very, very funny). Song lyrics are not for the faint of heart.  It was a good show and we had a great time.

~We had lunch one day at the Hard Rock Cafe and they played three of my favorite songs in a row: "Sweet Child O' Mine" (Guns 'n' Roses) followed by "Pour Some Sugar On Me" (Def Leppard) and then "Grey Street" (Dave Matthews Band).  It must have been fate.

So that's gonna do it for me today.  Once again, I have a plane to catch so I'll see y'all on the flip side.  Cheers!

 

15 comments:

  1. Safe flying! And you never know what you'll hear at the Hard Rock Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a pretty fun week! I love the quote from New Girl. My sister keeps telling me I need to watch that show. Maybe I should check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really love the first few episodes but I was in love with it by Thanksgiving. So glad it's back!

      Delete
  3. I loooove Pour Some Sugar On Me. Note to self - get to a Hard Rock Cafe asap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got THE RAVEN BOYS on my TBR list. Thanks for the review. :)

    I always watch less TV when I'm on vacation, too. And I also find I hardly miss it. (But maybe that's because I'm recording my favorite shows anyway?)

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recorded all my favorite shows too. At least I think I did. I haven't checked the DVR yet.

      Delete
  5. Fun post!

    Love those songs they played at the Hard Rock Cafe! Now they'll be in my head the whole day—and that's a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I try not to watch Glee, but now will have to ask the hubs or watch it to find out what all of the shifty glances were...the song thought? Absolutely fantastic! Just wrote the book down and may have to go back out in the rain to get it...and then happily sit on the couch the rest of the day reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the episode where all the couples broke up. And yeah, I just loved his performance. That's the best I've ever heard that song.

      Delete
  7. Raven Boys is next on my list to read, because I loved The Scorpio Races so much. Glad to hear it doesn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scorpio Races is now one of my all time favorite books. I don't think the Raven Boys is quite as good but it certainly doesn't disappoint.

      Delete
  8. We watched The Avengers again last night, so now I'm tempted to just start quoting it at you, but, well, you can just go watch it.
    Again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to quote the Avengers (or any Joss project for that matter) at me any time.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun week. I had some good days but mostly it was just work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll be paying for that week off for the next three months.

      Delete