Monday, October 22, 2012

In Which I Screw Up (Must Be Monday)

So, here's the thing... today I was scheduled to participate in Kyra Lennon's Letting Go bloghop but last night when I sat down to pre-write this post, I completely spaced on it. I feel horrible because I don't have time to go back and write a new post so I apologize to Kyra and to any of you who stop by here because my name's on the participant list. Kyra's new novella, If I Let You Go, is now available for download so be sure to check it out. It's getting some great reviews!

And now...Onward!

Last week, I participated in The Nineties Blogfest.  This week, I find myself needing to revisiting this topic because there were things I had forgotten.  This always happens to me when I make these types of lists.  I look at the lists that others have made and end up doing one of those mental head slap things because how could I possibly have forgotten about X, Y and Z?

So today's post is devoted to some of those things I forgot to mention the first time around.

The Hunt For Red October

This Jack Ryan adventure starring Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery (as the only Russian submarine captain with a Scottish accent) was hugely popular in our household growing up.  I don't know why it clicked with us so damn much but it did.  It was at the point where we could recite the entire movie from beginning to end.  The most popular lines were: 

"Some things in here don't react well to bullets."
"The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch."
"Next time, Jack, write a goddamn memo." 


Animaniacs 

I wrote about this cartoon during the A to Z Challenge this past April but I still feel remiss that I didn't mention it again as it was truly a premiere cartoon of the 90's.  The Warner Brothers and the Warner Sister, Pinky and the Brain, Slappy the Squirrel (my personal idol) and more.  Plus there were nifty quotes like...

"All we know is that we like you. We have no taste, but we like you."
"And the moral of today's story is: If you can't say something nice, you're probably at the Ice Capades."

and

Brain: Pinky, are you pondering that I'm pondering?
Pinky:  I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a garden hose at this time of night?

Plus, there are awesome songs like this one...


Red Hot Chili Peppers

Album: Blood Sugar Sex Magik, specifically the tracks "Breaking the Girl" and "Under the Bridge"

The first time I heard "Under the Bridge", I was wasting away in geometry class and someone outside in the parking lot was playing this song.  I liked it so much, I tracked it down and bought the cassette single.  Yep, that's how old I am.  I bought a cassette single.

And "Breaking The Girl" is just a damn cool song:



The Simpsons


I didn't get to watch The Simpsons much when they first came out because my mother wasn't a fan of Bart Simpson.  But I happen to see The Treehouse of Terror episode from their second season.  This was the one that contained their version of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven".  I made a habit of showing this episode in my classroom whenever we read this particular poem.  It made me very popular with my students.  For about twenty minutes. I included a clip of it below. The quality isn't fantastic, but it's still fun...


So that's gonna do it for me today.  I'm off for another action packed shift at The Store.  Catch you all tomorrow...



 
 

26 comments:

  1. Aww, not to worry! Thanks for the promotion anyway! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happens!
    The Hunt for Red October was one of the best 90's films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the spinning tea cup ride. Left me all sorts of disoriented.

      And yeah, the Hunt for Red October really was one of the best 90's films.

      Delete
  3. We all have malfunctions. Lately, I'm like the queen. Its getting to be time to take a blogging break.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a blogging break in November. =)

      Delete
  4. Ah, cassette tapes and cassette singles. If I didn't fell old already I certainly do now. Sigh.

    Oh, and my husband and I love love love Pinky and the Brain! Do you remember the episode with the free t-shirts? Too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the free tee shirt episode. Now I'm going to have to watch them all just so I can refresh my memory. Chores.

      Delete
  5. great memories! those animaniacs need to resurface! and simpsons halloween specials are the best!

    and your kyra promotion mission was accomplished as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love it if the animaniacs were to resurface. That would be fantastic!!

      Delete
  6. Haha, cassette tapes and pencils...I remember those days too. Great song, Give it Away was good too.

    And Congrats to Kyra! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't have a cassette tape without a pencil nearby. Just in case.

      Delete
  7. Oh... Animaniacs...
    >rushes to get his dvds<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ashamed to admit I don't actually have those DVDs. But I do have the lunchbox.

      Delete
  8. Hey,

    No worries about missing the Blogfest.... been there, wrote that (or *didn't write that:)

    I have to stick up for the '80s here and say they were a whole lot more interesting than the '90s... when I bought my first single, there was a *large* hole in the middle :)

    (remember 78's... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 80's blogfest is next year. I'm looking forward to it because I am a total 80's child.

      And in my kitchen is found a working turntable and an 8-track player. They're my favorite things about my house.

      Delete
  9. I love Pinky and the Brain... and now I'm singing the theme song :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it in my head all day. Not that I mind.

      Delete
  10. I keep all my spare knitting needles in an Animaniacs mug. And I used to have a great Animaniacs barrette, but unfortunately, it broke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Pinky and the Brain ring. It doesn't fit me anymore.

      Delete
  11. My son and I still sing 'Pinky and The Brain' theme song right before he starts playing games on his computer to try and take over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time my significant other says "What are we going to do tonight?" I always answer, "The same thing we do every night. Try to take over the world."

      Delete
  12. You rock MJ :) Red October is one of the best movies ever made.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cassette tapes? I remember them so well... seems like that was another lifetime... and the pencil always came in handy LOL
    I'm checking in from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally spaced on the Letting Go blog hop, too. No hate here. Also Animaniacs rocked!

    ReplyDelete