Thursday, October 4, 2012

In Which I Review Books

Here's what I read in September:

Angry Young Man- Chris Lynch- A YA novel I stumbled across at the library (the one with the blurb I was talking about yesterday).  It’s not very long, only took me a few hours to read the whole thing.  It’s an interesting story.  I can’t decide how exactly I feel about it because I didn’t particularly like the main characters, neither the narrator nor his brother.  It’s well written and all, good character voice and all, but I didn’t love the brothers.  Or the ending.  Still, there’s a lot worse a person could read.

Heartbroken- Lisa Unger-  I’ve read a few of her novels (not all of them) and (at the risk of sounding condescending) I do think that each one has been better than the last.  This book started off very strong but fizzled at the end.  It's too bad really because it does start off so strong.  The vast majority of this book is fantastic, just really lovely writing featuring concrete, interesting characters.  But I didn't care for the ending.  Still, it won't stop me from reading more Lisa Unger books. 

The President's Daughter- Ellen Emerson White- It's that time of year again where I re-read some of my all time favorite books... I always turn to this YA series whenever I'm feeling blue and need a serious pick me up so OF COURSE you know I adore it.  I first read it when I was in the 8th grade and I've read it nearly every year since.  This time around, I read the eBook version.  A very funny, very awesome book featuring one of my all time favorite characters.

White House Autumn- Ellen Emerson White-  The second book in the series and again, I read the eBook version and I just have to say that whoever was responsible for the editing of this version should be ashamed of themselves.  There were so many mistakes that it was very difficult to read and it just makes me so damn mad that better care wasn't taken with this edition.  I mean, I don't know how it works at an actual press but I can't help but think that if I can format my own manuscript for eBook form and avoid these kind of mistakes that maybe the professionals should be able to as well.  This book and this author deserve better! 

Long Live The Queen- Ellen Emerson White- The third book in the series. I didn't read the eBook edition because there isn't one. But after the disaster that was the 2nd eBook in the series, maybe I'm not too torn up about that.  Anyway, the third book is when the story takes a very dark turn for the main character.  It's freaking brilliant writing and you know I don't bandy that phrase around lightly. 

Long May She Reign- Ellen Emerson White- The fourth (and currently final, though I always remain hopeful that that'll change) novel in the series.  A dark, emotional story that I appreciate more and more every time I read it.  But I still don't like Jack.  Not even a little.  Every time I read it, I hope he'll get hit by a bus or mobbed by an angry cat or something but no such luck.  Maybe next time though...


16 comments:

  1. Like your honest reviews.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    http://www.shellysnovicewritings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reviews rock M.J., because they're actually reviews. :-)

    "I can format my own manuscript for eBook form and avoid these kind of mistakes that maybe the professionals should be able to as well." NO DOUBT ... and can you teach me? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. All new to me!
    And yes, you are a good reviewer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Still, there’s a lot worse a person could read."

    That cracked me up. And it's really hard for me to stay with a book if I don't like anyone in it. If I don't bond with the main character on some level, I usually move on to something else. Good, honest reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Life's too short to read books you don't love but I just can't seem to help myself.

      Delete
  5. You obviously like Ellen Emerson White. I've been reading some pretty darn good self pubbed free books from Kindle lately and enjoying them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ellen Emerson White. I wish she had more books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't read your book reviews because you always convince me to buy more books! I need to finish the ones I have first XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally believe you can never have too many books. But it's possible you already knew that.

      Delete
  8. Never heard of these before, and it's always good to discover new books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so speedy! and i'd like to know your opinion of a good ending! they are hard to write and i see you ha problems with those first couple of books. i could use a pointer for my endings. i tend to wrap things up, do you think thats unnecessary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. You've just inspired a new blog post. Thanks, Tara.

      Delete