Monday, October 15, 2012

I Love the 90's

Today is The Nineties Blogfest hosted by Dave over at Dave Wrote This where participants are asked to post a favorite something for each year of this truly awesome decade. (click on the picture below for a list of all participants)


The 90's for me were my high school and college careers.  So, just... keep that in mind as I reveal my list of awesomeness.  This list will be comprised primarily of movies, music and television because, honestly, I can't remember what I was reading back then.

1990

Saved By The Bell episode "Jessie's Choice"- This was the show about a group of high school kids— Zack Morris, Kelly Kapowski, Jessie Spano, AC Slater, Lisa Turtle and Screech— and their not-at-all realistic misadventures.  The episode I've chosen to highlight is the (now) infamous ep where Jessie gets addicted to caffeine pills and eventually has this total freak-out/meltdown:

1991

Point Break- the movie where Patrick Swazye plays a wave riding bank robber and Keanu Reeves is the undercover cop who's going to stop him.   Besides being totally awesome, this happens to be the very first R rated movie I ever saw.  Just don't tell my mom.

Beauty and the Beast- the animated Disney film.  I used to love Disney animated movies.  I still do.  This one featured a smart girl who liked to read.  And while I was never (and still aren't) particularly smart, I do like to read.  Plus, I love to sing the songs.

1992

Aladdin- I told you I loved Disney animated films.  This movie I saw on the night of my Junior Prom with my BFF, Heidi.  We said we were skipping the prom because we didn't need no stinking dates.  I can't speak for Heidi but in my case, it was probably more that I didn't have one.

1993

Counting Crows- Anna Begins (from "August and Everything After").  One of my all time favorite songs.

 
1994

The Lion King- I can't even begin to tell you how many times I saw this in the theater.  And how many movie snacks I snuck in with me.


Dave Matthews Band- Lover Lay Down from "Under the Table and Dreaming... I worked backstage security for one of their concerts and fell in love with the music.  This song was the one I listened to the most. Much to the delight of my dormmates.

Pearl Jam- Better Man from "Vitalogy"... another of my all time favorite songs.

1995

Braveheart


Alanis Morissette- You Oughta Know from "Jagged Little Pill"... my dormmates were glad when I bought this album because, at least, they got to listen to something new.

Jewel- Foolish Games from "Pieces of You"

1996

Twister-  I love big dumb action movies.  This has remained one of my all time favorites.  Most quoted line in the house?  "This is like Bob's road."

1997

Liar, Liar- This Jim Carrey comedy just kills me.  The most quoted lines in the house are "The goddamn pen is blue!" and "Even the wonderful Jerry lies!"  We also like that one outtake where Jim Carrey crumples a piece of paper and says, "A goose!"  It's possible we're strange people.

Small Vices by Robert B. Parker- This Spenser novel remains one of my all time favorites in this entire series. A routine case takes Spenser places he never expected to go. There's some quality bromance with Hawk and I don't hate Susan in this book as much as I do in most of the others.

1998 

Finally!  A year where I remember what books I was reading!  I don't think I need to say anything more than...

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

1999

Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode "The Prom"- while it remains true that season three of BtVS was one on its best, I've always had a soft spot for this particular one.  The prom, Buffy getting her Class Protector award, and... oh yeah.  Buffy and Angel's dance to "Wild Horses".  I would've posted a video of this moment but I couldn't seem to find one.  Very disappointing.

Angel episode "I Will Remember You"- the episode where Angel becomes human (however briefly) and he and Buffy get a taste of what their life together could be like before Angel decides to go back in order to protect them both.  Bring on the kleenex.
 
  
 That's gonna do it for me today as I have yet another action packed shift at The Store.  Thanks for stopping by!
 

49 comments:

  1. I LOVE Liar Liar - one of my fave Jim Carrey movie ever. :D

    I remember that Saved By The Bell episode too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anyone who's seen that episode has it ingrained on their memory.

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize so many great Disney movies came out in the 90's. Saved by the Bell was a silly but great fun show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Disney had that golden decade. Well, half a decade maybe. Started with The Little Mermaid and ended with Toy Story.

      Delete
  3. You definitely had a thing for Disney films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a band and drama geek in the 90's. It would've been weird if I didn't have a thing for Disney films.

      Delete
  4. The Prom and I Will Remember You are fantastic episodes, but then there are no bad episodes of Buffy or Angel.

    Thanks for taking part in the blogfest.

    Dave
    Dave Wrote This

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really aren't, are there?

      I had a good time with this blogfest. Thanks again for letting me know about it.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the walk down memory lane. I think. :)

    My husband loved - and still loves - "Liar, Liar."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to reminiscence... Even if I did end up feeling my age.

      Delete
  6. Twister inspired a friend of mine to become a meteorologist. Then he didn't actually become one. Twister's failed us all.

    Nice choices...I'm still not sure I got mine quite perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twister inspired me to become a storm chaser but I didn't end up doing that either.

      And I've been thinking all day about whether I made the right decisions.

      Delete
  7. How cute are you with all your Disney movies!? You have a few of my favorites here, but I came to them late: The Harry Potter books I started in 2001 and Buffy and Angel I met another 8 or 9 years later than that, but those episodes are truly memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't start watching Buffy until season three. Some times I think about that and I hang my head in shame. But then I remember that it's fine so long as I got to the party at all.

      Delete
  8. Great list. 1991 Point Break. This is one of my favorite movies. I think I have owned it on VHS, DVD and Blueray over the years. But, have you seen it recently. It is also my favorite movie to make fun of. I am really into movie quotes. My favorite quote from the movie is Keanu character Johnny Utah proclaiming to Bode "I am an F.B.I Agent." Great character names, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderfully quotable movie! Keanu sounds like Ted of Bill & Ted a little too much sometimes. Even in the Matrix ("I know Kung-Fu").

      Delete
    2. I have it on DVD somewhere in the house and whenever I find it on TV, I stop to watch a little.

      And I love Bill & Ted, so I'm always delighted when Keanu sounds like that. =)

      Delete
  9. oh the memories!! thanks for taking me back!!
    i'm so old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been feeling old all day. I haven't enjoyed it much.

      Delete
  10. I loved the class protector award. It was really the first time anyone acknowledged how many dead kids the school had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not exactly true. Larry had a line in the season three opener where he said something like , "if we can stay focused and not have quite so many mysterious deaths..." =)

      Delete
  11. Season 3 of Buffy is so good! Love that show. My high school boyfriend was obsessed with Point Break, I've seen it a million times. It's not a good movie but it's so extremely worth the 90s kitch factor. Keanu is very Keanu, Swayze was born to play this surfing, bank-robbing drifter, and Lori Petty is about as 90s femme as you can get. It really set the stage for great films like Face Off :)

    Didn't Friends actress Courtney Cox date the guy from Counting Crows? Or was she just in one of the videos? Why do I remember these things? One of my high school yearbooks was named August And Everything After... Those darned Counting Crows were everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she did date the Counting Crows guy for a while.

      Delete
  12. I liked the movie, "The Frighteners" that came out in 1996. It was one of the last featuring Michael J. Fox, and the first of Peter Jackson's movies that I'd ever seen. I would never have guessed he could go from that to "The Lord of the Rings."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the first Peter Jackson movies I saw was Heavenly Creatures. Never seen "The Frighteners" though.

      Delete
  13. "The Prom" is one of my favorite episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And why wouldn't it be? So much awesomeness packed into 40 something minutes.

      Delete
  14. Ooh! i loved braveheart, beauty and the beast and the lion king too. You're the first one I've seen who mentioned Harry Potter!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Harry Potter freak who does like to mention the series every chance I get. =)

      Delete
  15. Oh, man, I love that Crows song! I loved that album, but that song might be my favorite from it. Now I'm feeling that I may have to be playing the Crows later.

    But I've never liked The Lion King. And I almost hated Twister. Not so much because the movie was bad, but the acting was just horrible. Except for PSH; he was great.

    You do redeem yourself with Braveheart, though!
    "Freedom!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna Begins is easily my favorite Counting Crows song. Followed by Colorblind and Perfect Blue Buildings.

      And did you miss the part where I called Twister dumb? I know the acting's bad (except for PSH, natch) but I get a kick out of it just the same. Kind of like how I can't stop watching the SyFy Saturday night movies. =)

      Delete
    2. Nah, I didn't miss that part, but I had to make my feelings on that movie clear. Like Independence Day. Oh my gosh what a horrible movie. See, I can't even mention that one without talking about how bad it was.
      :P

      Delete
    3. Yes, Independence Day was a terrible movie. Even I didn't get a kick out of that one.

      Delete
  16. Oh my. The 90s. Is it already time for 90's nostalgia? I feel old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was feeling that way while making this list.

      Delete
  17. I still have never seen Twister, I really feel like I'm missing out on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably not missing anything unless you really love big dumb action movies.

      Delete
  18. Great choices - I'd forgotten some of the things on this list, especially Saved by the Bell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think anyone could ever forget Saved By The Bell. But I do admit that I no longer remember the theme song.

      Delete
  19. Liar Liar is one of Jim Carrey's best. My brother obsessed over it in college, watched it all the time. I never quite reached that point, but "The Claw" is a constant reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we say "The Claw!" one in a while too. Good times.

      Delete
  20. That episode of Angel is to this day one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Or anywhere really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only put Once More With Feeling and The Body and probably Hush above it.

      Delete
  21. It's been years since I watched Saved by the Bell. And I love Beauty and the Beast.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The 90's had a lot of good movies...like The Lion King. I still love that movie. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't know you could quote from "Twister." Is there more than that one quotable line? :)

    The "Prom" episode gets me every time, too. I'm a sucker for applause, but the moment when the whole school appreciates her efforts to save them all the time makes me choke up. And..AND...The Sundays version of "Wild Horses." Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I find it weird that Toy Story was only 1995, given how revolutionary it was at the time.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great list! There was a year or two back then when I was really into Jewel. And I liked a lot of Pearl Jam's stuff, especially off "Vitalogy" As for DMB I wasn't a fan but "Crash Into Me" will always remind me of my HS crush. Of course, I didn't know how naughty it was at the time! :-O

    ReplyDelete
  26. As a 90's kid, I love this post.

    ReplyDelete