Monday, October 29, 2012

I Do NaNo, Do You NaNo Too?

Thursday marks the start of that yearly rite of passage, NaNoWriMo.  It's been all over the blogosphere lately as writers try to prepare for this event or try to decide if they should give it a go so I don't think I need to tell you what NaNoWriMo is, but if you're unsure, look at the graphic on the left.  That'll give you the general gist of things.

Thursday also marks my first day off (The Store does not give Frankenstorm Days), begged for by me so that I could have the first day to get off to a great start.  Last year, I didn't get started until Day Five.  There was some... drama going on so my poor sad little project got bumped.  I came raring back though and limped across the 50k line with entire minutes to spare.

It was my third win.  My first year, I wrote a chick lit/romance novel.  It was an experiment because I often times make fun of chick lit/romance and I wanted to see if I could do it any better.  I personally think I did but I'm probably not the most unbiased person on this subject.  My second year I tackled the YA urban fantasy genre.  This project remains technically unfinished but there's some great stuff (again, according to me) in there and so, some day I hope to get back to it.  Someday.

Last year, I decided to write the first draft of the next installment of my fantasy series.  I did this because I thought I'd be so much further along with Effigy than I currently am.  I thought I'd have Effigy out in the world and be working feverishly to get the second book, Second Nature, done so that it too could be out in the world.

Silly M.J. (Publishing is for competent adults!)

But, alas, I didn't get Effigy out into the world and I haven't even looked at what I wrote last year.  I'm printing up a copy of it though so I can look at it because this year, for NaNoWriMo, I'm attempting to write the next installment and I thought it would be good if I knew where I had left off with everything.

Because right now, all I have prepared for NaNoWriMo this year is a stash of sugary sweets, a name for the MC and the genre in which I should write.  And I wouldn't even have the last two if I wasn't working on a continuing story.  Needless to say, I am going to need a miracle every single second I can wrest from my schedule.

It is with this in mind that I offer those who encounter me in my non-online life this helpful chart:


WHEN IT IS OKAY TO INTERRUPT M.J. WHEN SHE'S WRITING:


1.  Hey, M.J., just thought you should know that the building's on fire.

(please note, this also includes other events where if immediate evacuation does not happen, it will lead to injury and/or death)
 
2.  Hey, M.J., just thought you should know that Joss Whedon's here to see you.


So please consult this list when trying to decide whether to bother me during the month of November (or maybe the rest of the year too. I'll let you know) because if it's not one of those two things, I don't want to know about it.  This goes for my co-workers too.  I know technically I work for The Store but if you come across me writing a scene for my NaNoWriMo project, don't interrupt because you have a customer looking for a small snowflake sweater.  You know where the small snowflake sweaters are.  Go get it yourself.  Just... don't make a mess while you're doing it.  Which you're going to do because that's what you do.  I mean, I don't know why it's so damn difficult for you to get one single sweater off the top of a stack of sweaters without leaving the whole thing in a jumbled mess but you do it every damn time so, so yeah.  Go ahead and interrupt me when you need that small snowflake sweater.  We'll all be happier in the long run. 

Sorry.  I got a little sidetracked there. I'd tell you that it won't happen again but I think we all know that it will.

Anyway, I've got to go.  You know how it is... snowflake sweaters to fold, Frankenstorms to prepare for...  But if you're participating in NaNoWriMo this year, look me up.  I'm using the very clever user name M.J. Fifield. 

Be safe, all.

34 comments:

  1. Good luck with the next book. If Whedon comes by, I'll be sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just two reasons? ha! and well worthy!
    so i guess the hurricane gets thrown in with the fire?

    good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're the most important reasons, I thought. And yeah, the hurricane does get thrown in with the fire.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with NaNo and the storm. Sounds like you'll be one busy woman! I'm off to buddy you now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... I'm always busy this time of year. I don't think I'd know what to do with myself otherwise.

      Delete
  4. I am thrilled to hear I am not the only person going in to this with little to no preparation! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. I think it would be impossible to be less prepared for NaNoWriMo than I am this year.

      Delete
  5. I've never been able to get my schedule behind the NaNo. But this year I'm seriously considering it. It's cool that you've done this for three years. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always end up wishing they had NaNoWriMo during any month that wasn't November because, schedule wise, it's the absolute worst month for it, but so far it's worked out all right.

      Delete
  6. Oh, MJ, I think you should write your NaNo novel about The Store and the people who work there and shop there. (You could make it a Horror novel or Horror Comedy if you want to.) Save the continuation for when you're more prepared/rested/have already met Mr. Whedon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, M.J.! I am also doing NaNo, so I will buddy you :) I may not get started until a few days into November like you did last year, as I am moving at the beginning of the month. Yikes!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the move. That's a seriously big undertaking.

      Delete
  8. Eeek! I am still on the fence...mostly on the no side, but my lt arm is trying to fling itself over! 2010 was a hit, didn't finish 2011.....can't win if yu don't play though! Good luck to you, and that list is very handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the fence last year but flung myself over anyway. I don't regret it.

      Delete
  9. Good luck this month! I've never participated in NaNo but I'll be cheering for all you guys. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy good fun. You should try it some time. =)

      Delete
  10. Ha! I feel the same way about NaNo. I do pretty well with it because all I do is write until the first draft is complete. My family knows to leave me be when I'm drafting. However, revisions take forever.
    Good luck with NaNo this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even think about revisions.

      Best of luck to you too!

      Delete
  11. So many people are getting ready for NaNo. The blogosphere will be a ghost town for the next month. :(

    Good luck and kick some NaNo butt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a good chance I would've disappeared from the blogosphere next month anyway. NaNo just gives me a better excuse than 'I'm lazy.'

      Delete
  12. Joss Whedon has a pro-Romney video out at the moment here, worth watching. It's funny.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it last night. I found it to be more than funny. And just when I thought I couldn't possibly love Joss more.

      Delete
  13. No NaNo for me, but I'm getting lots of writing done if Sandy doesn't cut me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some places in New Hampshire have already lost power and you're a lot closer to Sandy than I am. Stay safe, Susan!

      Delete
  14. Sweet blog! I notimated you with an blogger award on my blog! Click 'here' to check it out! I hope you like it! You may also notimate up to 7 bloggers (or an many as you like). Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is completely off topic, but I just watched the Whedon video that mooderino is talking about (not because she's talking about it, though; someone else sent me the link, and I stopped reading your post half way through to go watch it (it was Whedon; you'd have done the same thing)). So, yeah, you should go watch it, because it's brilliant.

    And good luck with NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would have done the same thing. I watched the video last night and it is brilliant. More than brilliant even.

      Delete
  16. Good luck with NaNo!

    I'm not doing NaNo because I can't work under tight deadlines and I get very distracted easily. But hopefully, I will take a plunge at NaNo in my near future if I can ever think about what I would write about.

    And yeah, this online writing community in the blogosphere will silence in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how exciting!! I did that my first NaNo year--just spent every waking hour working on it. It was really productive, but also burned me out a little. What makes it fun is all the other writers striving for the same goal at the same time.
    Not for me this year tho. I cant decide which story I want to draft first.

    btw I thought of you when I watched my first Firefly episode. What a fun show!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cracked up about Joss Whedon interrupting you, that would be okay on my end too. :D

    I signed up too and added you as a buddy, good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Added!

    Good luck on NaNo! Hopefully no one comes looking for the snowflake sweater. Really, though, ONLY Whedon? There's no one else?

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, NaNo? Is that this month? Maybe I should dust off my keyboard...

    ReplyDelete