Wednesday, October 3, 2012

At Least I'm Consistent, Right? (An IWSG Post)

It's the first Wednesday of the month so that means it's time once again for Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group.  (follow the link to find a list of all participants)

Last month at this time, I had no idea what to write about.  This month, I...  still have no idea what to write about.  But hey, at least I'm consistent, right?

For example, last month, I was fretting over my back of the book blurb.  I'm still fretting over that.  So much so that I tried to write it in haiku form.  Here's what I came up with:

ancient evil looms
can Haleine save her people
and not lose herself?


And then because I hadn't procrastinated enough, I tried to write a limerick about it.  I haven't finished it yet but here are the first two lines: 

There once was a queen named Haleine
Who found battling evil a pain

This month I am still fretting over a back of the book blurb.  I've spent a lot of time lately picking up random books and looking at their blurbs. One that caught my eye used a short excerpt of the novel. (just like three or four lines)  All right, so maybe it peaked my interest because my novel's already done and I already kind of know what snippet I'd use if I decided to do that. But I can't decide if I should really do that.


And since I can never decide if I should do anything (unless it involves the eating of chocolate chip cookies and/or brownies), that's par for the course too.

In keeping with my theme of consistent indecision, I'd like to end today's non-post with a clip I stumbled across on YouTube.  I wanted to use a segment from an episode of the Simpsons (The Book Job) where Lisa decides to write a novel but I couldn't find that anywhere. But if you haven't seen that particular episode, you really should check it out because it's truly hysterical.

Anyway, the clip I'm sharing instead is a Monty Python recording where a crowd of people gather around to watch Thomas Hardy write a novel. (FYI, the Thomas Hardy part ends shorty after the three minute mark) It really makes me glad that writing is not a spectator sport.  I hope you get a kick out of it and, as always, I'll try to do better the next time...

16 comments:

  1. I totally get the whole 'no direction' feeling. I always end up with a bunch of three chapter book beginnings. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *huggles* Everything about writing and publishing is a challenge - and book blurbs are one of my least favourite parts of the whole thing! Maybe take some time off from thinking about it and come back again when you're refreshed. That usually works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The synopsis on the back is always so difficult. Run with the idea of including an excerpt and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Monty Python clip is fantastic! And sounds just like me.

    And I think more blurbs should be written in limerick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indecision... yeah, I know that curse quite well. I'm sure your blurb will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't think of it as a "back of the book blurb;" that induces stress. Tell me in a capsule what your book is about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little clip. You make me laugh.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book description is probably one of the hardest things to write because it is what people will read before they read anything else in your book. I have to admit I like your haiku on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, man the back blurb sounds harder than a query letter. Good luck working on it! I know I would struggle as well. Great clip, I love Monty Python :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the ones with an excerpt of the book.

    Man, now I want to have chocolate chip cookies and milk while watching that Simpsons episode. That *was* a good episode. I watched it 3 times in a row when it was first released.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to check out the Simpson's episode. I hadn't heard of that one yet. I haven't tried to write a back cover blurb, but my query almost killed me, so I know what you mean. I'm in a contest right now, where I could conceivably be asked for a synopsis, and I DON'T HAVE ONE. Because I won't write one. I'm too scared of it. The last synopsis I wrote took me forever. Like, months. Ugh.

    But, just keep plugging away!! And I really liked your post. :) I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That made me laugh. Can you image? That would cause a whole lot more insecurities that I am not ready to deal with. I like the limerick idea. You will come up with what is right for your book. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. back cover blurbs are similar to queries. but more exciting with less words! How would Haleine describe herself & her situation?

    and love monty python =) (& simpsons & choc chip cookies & brownies, too much goodness in one post!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your limerick! :D
    That sound clip was hilarious. Thanks for the giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know exactly which Simpsons ep you're talking about. It's one of the few good ones of the past 5-10 years. I've tried to post that one myself but for some reason they're just not available anywhere online. Probably some licensing BS. The Monty Python skit filled in well, though.

    Wish I could help with your blurb, but you might be on to something with a limerick or other unconventional means. At least it will help you think outside the box. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you thought of asking a few people to each write a few lines for the back of your book?
    For my first book I just used the synopsis but for my second I am thinking of having a few reviewers write something...
    It is a very important step, when I am in Barnes & Noble or a book signing anywhere, most people immediately flip the book over and read the back..the stress..

    ReplyDelete