Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In Which I Review Books

Here's what I read in August:


Game On- Kyra Lennon- A fun summer beach read.  Which I actually read on a beach.  It took me a very long time to understand why Leah would ever be interested in Radleigh because he spends a lot of time being a real jerk.  A major jerk.  And while I love a bad boy, he didn’t seem to have a lot of redeeming qualities and it made me feel that much worse for poor loveable Miguel.  I liked Radleigh a little better by the end.  Overall, this book offers a great character voice with a nice combination of drama and laugh out loud moments.  I will happily read the next book in the series.


Spill Over­- Jolene Perry- THIS REVIEW CONTAINS A MAJOR SPOILER.  Overall, I liked this novel.  I wasn’t thrilled with the ending but I really enjoyed the rest of the story.  Antony was a character I wasn’t sure about.  I didn’t like him— I didn’t not like him either— I was just undecided about him.  But he had an interesting voice that got much more interesting when his mother dies.  The scene where he’s back in the New York apartment, in his mother’s room, was particularly well done and really made me feel for him.  It was emotional and raw and I always appreciate it when an author does that well as was the case here.  Amber is a good character and I liked her from the start. I just didn’t care for the “two years later” part.


Slipstream- Michael Offutt- I can’t even begin to wrap my mind around the amount of imagination required to create a world such as the one created here.  Seriously, I think this book is a fantastic example of world building. Such a detail rich environment.  I'm impressed.  Unfortunately, I didn’t respond to the characters as well.  Jordan was more or less fine but I really didn’t connect to Kathy at all.  Kolin was, by far, my favorite, even if he does spell his name with a K.  There are a surprising number of typos/grammatical errors but I’m still interested in reading the next book when it comes out.

21 comments:

  1. I have Slipstream and it's on my list, but it keeps getting pushed back review requests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. Well, I don't get review requests but I've had Slipstream since it was released and only now got a chance to read it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good set of reads. I wish I could get through my TBR pile as quick as that :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I am, quite disappointed that I only got through three books.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure Kyra's Radleigh is a little like my Byron.
    And he'll have his moments in the third book as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh. I haven't even read Byron's second outing yet.

      Delete
  4. and this is why i love your reviews! you give good & bad points which we all have (except mine, if course, ha ha)

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure yours is the exception. =)

      Delete
  5. Those were very nice and short reviews.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    http://www.shellysnovicewritings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have a lot more to post so I try to keep them short and to the point.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for reading it, M.J. I appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Michael. Really. I'm just sorry it took this long.

      Delete
  7. I have two of those on my TBR list. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've already read Slipstream (and its sequel...yes, I'm just lucky like that), but I do have GAME ON on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to have an in with the author. =)

      Delete
  9. I have Slipstream on my TBR pile on my eReader.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beach read read on a beach? How novel!

    As for Slipstream I didn't really get Jordan but I kind of liked Kathy. Funny.

    ReplyDelete