Monday, September 17, 2012

Genre Favorites Blogfest

 Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh has presented the blogosphere with a new blogfest and since there's nothing I like talking about more than my favorite books, movies and music, signing up for this blogfest was a no-brainer.

Participants (all 167 of us, last I looked) are asked to list our favorite genres of Movies, Music and book— as well as a guilty pleasure from any of the three categories.  And because I live to break rules, I'm going to list a guilty pleasure for each category.  I don't know... maybe it's not breaking the rules but I like to think it is.  That's that whole 'rebel without a cause' gene residing somewhere within my DNA.

Anyway, let's get started...

Movies


Well, it's true that I'm a sucker for a period film.  If the phrase 'Merchant Ivory' is used anywhere at all in its description, chances are I'm gonna want to see it.  For example, the new Anna Karenina movie coming out some time this year...
 


I'm definitely going to want to see that.  Of course, I'll have to drive a couple of hours to find a theater that'll show it but still, I want to see it and am willing to drive the two hours to do so.  But, if you take a period type film and you add some fantasy type elements, then I will be first in line to see a movie.  For example, I saw a trailer for Snow White and the Huntsman that began with a row of knights drawing swords or something (I don't remember exactly what they were doing) and before the swords were fully drawn, I had turned to my brother or sister (whichever sibling was there...please don't be mad that I don't remember. There were swords and suits of armor involved) and said, "I want to see that movie!"

Even if Kristen Stewart was in it.  (I'm sure she's a lovely young woman.  I just find her to be a terrible, terrible actress.)

My guilty pleasure movie genre is action.  I love a good action (Bourne!  Bond!).  I love a bad action movie.  (Speed, I'm looking at you.)  And just yesterday, the one bright spot of the disaster that was the Patriots game (What the hell happened, Bill????) was seeing a trailer for the movie Taken 2 starring Liam Neeson.  I'm probably way more excited to see that movie than I should be but... there it is. 

Music


I have a harder time picking a favorite genre in music because I do like most styles but I think I'm going to have to go with folk music.  I know— folk music makes a lot of people (The Man included) groan but Mumford and Sons rocks my world and I can't wait until their new album (Babel, available at the end of the month!) is released.

My guilty pleasure genre is disco.  I love it.  I admit it.  And yeah, that makes The Man groan too but I love me some ABBA.  Dancing Queen is one of my all time favorite songs.  I even manage to work in references to it in my writing (even the fantasy series).

Books


Last, but not least, is books.  This is really a no-brainer for me and my selection isn't fantasy, as some of you might have thought it would be.  I read a lot of fantasy but I don't tend to love a lot of fantasy.  I am well documented book snob, I know.  So my favorite book genre is historical fiction— at least when it's done well.  I read this one "historical fiction" novel where the authors hadn't done much— if any— research.  And I'd tell you the name of it but I can't remember it.  Apparently, it's the one book title that I read that I didn't write down.  Bums me out though because it was quite a hysterical read.

One of my absolute favorites!
But anyway, I'm getting sidetracked.  I'm a historical fiction girl.  My favorite authors in this genre are Philippa Gregory, Bernard Cornwell, Sharon Kay Penman and Stephen Lawhead.  (Bonus points if you can spot the trend in my selections!) To me, the very best fantasy stories read more like a historical fiction novel.

So I guess that means my guilty pleasure is romance novels.  Historical, paranormal— whatever.  I don't much care about the subgenre.  I get a kick out of them so I read them from time to time.  Some months, that's all I read.  It depends on where my head's at, I guess.  I'm primarily interested in reading a good story.  The rest doesn't always matter.

And that's going to do it for me today.  Thanks for taking the time to work though my rambles...as always, I'll try to do better the next time.

Until then, head over to Alex's blog for a full list of blogfest participants.  Happy Monday, all!

P.S... I'd also like to apologize for my complete overuse of exclamation points in this post.  I really don't know what's gotten into me except that I'm overtired and sometimes, I just get so damn excited...

 

 

75 comments:

  1. I've heard mixed things about Anna Karenina, so I'm not sure about it at the moment. I don't think I've watched a period drama in years (not enough wizards for me :P)


    Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do agree that wizards would improve most movies.

      Delete
  2. Abba! I love me some Abba! We used to sing their songs (along with Queen's) all the time in our music class.

    Waterloo's my fav. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never sang ABBA in school. Unless it was in the hallway in between classes. Waterloo is another of my top ABBA picks.

      Delete
  3. Haha, I feel the same way about Snow White and the Huntsman. I have little time for Kristen Stewart but that movie looks good!

    Abba rocks! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think the movie was good... except for her part. Which is unfortunate since she's the title character.

      Delete
  4. Patriots crashed and burned, didn't they?
    Abba. My wife likes Abba. She just doesn't play it when I'm around.
    You didn't break the rules - you made them more interesting, MJ. Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't break the rules? But I LIVE to break the rules!

      And yes, yes, yes, yes, the Patriots certainly did crash and burn. Excuse me, I have to go cry now...

      Delete
  5. yay action! i would be opposite w/guilty pleasure being the period films, Amadeus! love your picks! disco! ha!

    and poor pats =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amadeus is one of my all time top ten favorite films. That movie is brilliant.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm up for "Taken 2" also! I enjoyed the first one and this one looks good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam Neeson beating up bad guys... what's not to like, right?

      Delete
  7. I Will Wait is an awesome song I recently discovered. Before then, I had never hear of Mumford and Sons. Glad that's been corrected. (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think deep down Disco is most everybody's SECRET guilty pleasure. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But how many of them are brave enough to admit it? =)

      Delete
  9. Interesting post. I like historical mixed with a hint of fantasy too. I would also like to write one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its great to know you a little better. And I would have guessed fantasy would be the reading genre too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I write fantasy after all, that really should be my favorite genre.

      Delete
  11. I too like a good historical novel. Anya Seton was an excellent author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a couple of her books. I just haven't read them yet.

      Delete
  12. I love most of your choices. Having majored in history I also love a good period film like Room with a View or Elizabeth (altho this wasn't entirely accurate)and I definitely want to see Anna Karenina. The same holds true with historical novels. I've read almost all James Michener's books and more than my fair share of historical romance. Here be Dragons is a good one. I will have to pass on ABBA however, no offense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here Be Dragons is one of my favorites. Loved that novel so, so much.

      And no, no offence on the ABBA front. That's why it's a guilty pleasure. =)

      Delete
  13. The Bourne movies are tops with me also.

    Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had pretty much the same reaction when I saw the trailer for the Snow White and the Huntsman - OMG!!! This looks so awesome!!1!11! Then... wait, Kristen Stewart?!? Nooooooo! But I even sucked it up and saw it in the theater (which I hardly ever do). Loved the look of the movie. Still think Kristen is overrated and a not-so-good actress.

    I enjoyed reading about your favorite genres,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it in the theater too. And I loved it... except for Kristen Stewart.

      Delete
  15. I need to read more historical fiction. I think my education is sorely lacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out Bernard Cornwell's Arthur series. I thought it was really great. The Winter King, Enemy of God, and Excalibur.

      Delete
  16. Oh ya, Anna karenina looks awesome! I love those historical novels too. Anything in that Boleyn era.

    And I'm such a sucker for disco. i could dance to it all night long. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this movie looks stunning~ I love your book choice...
    now I want to go play Dancing Queen :D
    I love your list~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Historical fiction? That I did not expect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a detailed post! I enjoy reading historical fiction too. Happy Monday back at you:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not a fan of folk but I do love Mumford & Sons - the best bands can cross those boundaries, can't they?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great list! I enjoy a good period piece myself. Esp. the Victorian era.

    Tim
    http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay for folk music! I enjoy a good period film too. The Bourne movies Rock! I am also waiting to see Taken 2. What great choices you have.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anna Karenina looks like a pretty good movie. I may have to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nothing guilty about a good romance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOOOVE period films. They're always so so beautiful. Some of my very favorite movies come from that category. Have you seen the preview for the upcoming Great Gatsby film? It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I'm gonna be all over that Great Gatsby movie when they finally release the damn thing.

      Delete
  26. I love historical fiction as well, particularly historical mysteries. Dancing Queen is my favorite ABBA song, but I really don't know any of their other songs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I heart Mumford & Sons! Such great music.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bourne and Bond are both very fun guilty pleasures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fun post to read and I had never heard of Mumford and sons, but I am now fixed in that regard :)

    Go ABBA, it's yer birthday, it's yer birthday, uhuh, uhuh.

    (Yes, ABBA are OK here, too... as are the Bee Gees :)

    Thanks for sharing and I'm sure the exclamation points will dissolve as time goes by :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm excited for Anna Karenina, too, after seeing the trailer/promo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm looking forward to Anna Karenina, as well! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great movie choices! I just watched the Snow White movie the other day... and it was... meh. I also find Stewart to be a terrible actor. But I really like Theron and Hemsworth.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Theron and Hemsworth were fantastic. I really wish they had had a decent actress for the lead.

      Delete
  33. I felt your pain, my Bears were a disaster against the Packers. Ugh!

    Great choices, I LOVE ABBA! A fave guilty pleasure for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. ABBA is awesome. I just picked up a Mumford and Sons album. I'm loving it so far.

    I always think that I won't like historical fiction (it sounds like I might learn something), but everytime I pick one up, I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Are you all right? There wasn't one Joss Whedon reference in this whole post!
    Great list. I love your incredible honesty!
    Speed! HA!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It surprised me too. I probably should've used Joss as a genre.

      Delete
  36. I like Mumford & Sons. I get to listen to Bluegrass and not be ashamed. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really need to read more of Philippa Gregory's books. I've read a couple, and they were excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like Stephen Lawhead. I'm sort of working my way through Hood because I want to read Scarlet. I love WIll Scarlet.

    Heist movies are fun. My dad loves those so I've seen a lot.

    Thanks for the comment! And the follow.

    Allons-y!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm all excited that Baz Luhrmann is remaking The Great Gatsby. That'll be so good! Love your music choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I had to laugh when I read your post. I thought, "Wow, she has tastes like me." Then the doodoo hit the fan. Like your man, I could definitely do without the folk music. lol When I ever utter the word, Imy brain (or what is left of it) conjures up images of leprechauns performing a jig and singing some old Irish bar jig. But hey, to each his own. lol

    By the way, going to see "The Raid" and "Taken 2" as soon as it hits Manila.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  41. But Speed is am awesome movie lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great choices. And ABBA music is surprisingly catchy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would never have picked you for a disco girl MJ! My dad took us to every Bond movie premier that came out when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great post!!!! And awesome blog!!!!!

    Ok, so I get carried away with exclamation points, too. As a writer, I NEVER use them in my work, so blog comments and posts provide a place for all that repressed excitement to come out.

    And I have no problem with "Folk Music" because that label can be used to define stuff as diverse as world music from places as separate as Africa and Asia, kick-ass bluegrass, folk-punk like the Pogues, Old Dylan, acoustic Grateful Dead, and a plethora of others.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mumford and Sons is phenomenal! And having a background in history, I too really appreciate a good historical setting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I was looking to the Pats to ease my Sox pain. Didn't happen.

    If you don't want to admit to loving disco, you can always call Dancing Queen a Broadway show tune (courtesy of Mamma Mia).

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oooo... I like your taste! Very classy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  48. Mumford and Sons is a unique music choice although I agree they are very good. I haven't seen Snow White yet and truthfully haven't heard very good reviews but I will probably see it eventually.
    Thanks for stopping by and following my blog

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm actually quite excited to see Taken 2, too. The first one was such a simple story, but Liam Neeson just kicked so much butt!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great post! I love action movies, but sometimes the action parts kills the non-actual parts of a the movie. It's hard to tell what wanted to say, but maybe you will understand. (When a movie director or team found out 2-3 good action scene, and AFTER they try to find out some filler or connecting stories between the actions.

    The disco is interesting choice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Such great picks! And I am with you about Snow White and the Huntsman. I wanted to see it because of the knights and stuff (still haven't seen it, though).

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hello, M.J. It's very good to meet you. I noticed you mentioned Bourne, Bond and Taken 2. I agree with those comments. Did you like the newest Bourne? I thought it was a worthy film, and hope for another. We'll see. I'm looking forward to Bond later this year. Should be great. And you're right, Taken 2 looks pretty cool.
    Thanks for sharing.

    -Jimmy
    http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  53. Too funny about the exclamation points. My blog responses are always riddled with exclamation points. I feel if I stopped now people would think I was disappointed in what they said. ;-p

    Love the movie Speed! Can't help it. Action, bad or otherwise, is definitely a fav for me.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    My Genre Favorites & Guilty Pleasures

    ReplyDelete
  54. I want to see Anna Karenina too! I had seen Snow White and the Huntsman in theatres and it's really good. It's filled with good suspense and it keeps you on the edge of your seat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Surely deep down, everybody loves disco.

    I'm visiting to primarily to shamelessly promote The Nineties Blogfest on the blogs of everybody that took part in the Noughties Blogfest. I'd love it if you'd sign up and join us on the 15th of October to talk about your favourites from the decade.

    Dave
    Dave Wrote This

    ReplyDelete