Friday, August 3, 2012

The Good, The Bad and The Funny

The Good

Two things for this category.  First, remember Ego Man?  If you don't, he's the blowhard who hijacked my sweet little writers group back in January.  He's the one who wasn't interested in either giving or receiving feedback and has spent the last seven months telling us how awesome he is and how hopeless and doomed for failure the rest of us are (this in between "jokes" about wanting to steal my work.).  He's really been a delight (sarcasm) but today, I received an email from him (well, the entire group did) saying he was dropping out of the group for the foreseeable future.  I know this makes me a terrible person but I did a little happy dance when I read that.

Second, I received a note from my third beta, the third person in a row to make it all the way through Effigy (when it rains, it pours, I guess).  In addition to Effigy, she also read the first three hundred pages of its sequel, Second Nature.  I'm not going to include the entire note, but here are a couple of highlights:


I am in awe that you have created this world and these people.

and


Second Nature is awesome. We won't even discuss the tantrum I had about not having the rest of the book.  You should be proud.

I am proud.  And a little embarrassed, in a shy please-don't-let-the-spotlight-be-on-me kind of way.  But, if you're reading this, E, thank you very much.  Your timing was perfect.

The Bad


I had my annual performance review at The Store yesterday.  I never look forward to them but this year seemed a particular waste of time since I'd been told about two months ago that I was no longer eligible for pay increases because someone in my position could only earn X number of dollars an hour and I was already at that point.  And I'll admit, since that time, I may have half assed and even quarter assed a few of my shifts but the truth remains that even when I am quarter assing my shifts, I'm still more productive than most of the staff.

Anyway, it went about as well as I expected.  Last year, I was marked down for not always wearing current product (seriously) and my occasionally bad attitude (I heckled the staff meetings. But only because they're rather ridiculous).  This year, I was marked down for my occasionally bad attitude toward company initiatives.  That conversation went like this:

My boss: You need to be more positive about company initiatives.
Me:  But they're dumb.
My boss:  (pause for grinding of teeth) Be that as it may, you keep saying you don't want to do them—
Me:  That's because I don't want to do them.
My boss: Go away now.
Me:  Gladly.

The Funny


I get a real kick out of the people behind the "How It Should Have Ended" series.  My all time favorite so far is Twilight. But here are two I just saw for the first time this week: 




Be sure to tune in Monday when I might actually get around to posting my July book review. Until then, have a great weekend...



34 comments:

  1. Yay for the great comments on Effigy! Is it time to say it's really finished yet? ;)

    Sorry about the work thing. It's never nice to be told you have "attitude" but I did laugh at the conversation between you and your boss! Please don't ever change - while your boss calls it attitude, I call it personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never will change. Much to my boss's disappointment. =)

      Delete
  2. Hah! I'd love to be there when you're heckling a staff meeting! God knows I've felt like doing that myself, now and again. OK, well, always.

    Anyway, congrats on the positive feedback!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty quiet during the last staff meeting but that was only because I was watching the Patriots game on my phone.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for the awesome feedback :D

    I love HISHE. Iron Man is my favourite ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I've seen the Iron Man one. I must have though... guess I'll have to go out there and watch it again.

      Delete
  4. Awesome feedback! That has to be a great feeling!! Sorry to hear about the work thing. Sounds like your boss is not used to honest feedback. And the Avengers clip always cracks me up (pew, pew, pew...). (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beta feedback is a great feeling. The work feedback is less so. My boss definitely does not like honest feedback. I'm the only employee there who dares to give it to her.

      Delete
  5. Go ahead and do a happy dance! The jerk left on his own without any of you having to play the bad guy.
    Great feedback on your work. See? You are a good writer.
    And have you seen "How Prometheus Should Have Ended?" Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex...

      And no, I haven't seen the Prometheus one. I didn't know if I would get it because I haven't seen Prometheus.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the great feedback! It's always so rewarding to have someone else love what you're doing as much as you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It's always fantastic to hear people want to throw tantrums because they don't have more of your work to read.

      Delete
  7. Excellent comments on your work! You should be proud! (But I hear you about that spotlight thing.)

    And I think that dialogue between you and your boss should be under "The Funny." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I found that conversation to be hilarious. My boss less so. It'll just give her something to put on next year's review.

      Delete
  8. Have I told you I love your posts? 'Cause I kinda totally do. Woo-hoo for Ego Man bailing!

    "We won't even discuss the tantrum I had about not having the rest of the book." <-- this made me literalol

    I actually second Madeline that the dialogue with the boss lady should be under funny. It's a bummer you can't get any more pay raises though. How do they expect you to be motivated to succeed, actually? Well they probably don't; they sound dumb.

    Now I shall obtain tea and watch the How It Should Have Ended for The Avengers because I haven't seen it yet and am excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tantrum line made me LOL too.

      I'm not sure how Management expects me to be motivated to succeed. Really, the only thing I'm motivated to do is get my book out in the world and quit working my day job. But at least that's something, right?

      Delete
  9. Quarter-assed (or less) is pretty much how I do most things in life. ;)

    Congrats on the good reader feedback...and losing Ego Man. (I assume he's not a blogger/never reads your blog?)

    Have a marvelous weekend,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn't found the blog yet. Or, if he did, he didn't say anything to me about it. I don't think anyone in the group knows I have a blog anyway. Seemed safer. But now that I don't have to blog about Ego Man anymore, it's probably safe...

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on the feedback! :) And hooray for Ego Man leaving. Sounds like it will be much more peaceful without him.

    I loved The Hunger Games video. So much shorter that way. :P (Haven't seen The Avengers yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey MJ! Nice reviews from your betas!! Awesome!
    You sound like me at my job. It's so hard to be genuine when you wanna just laugh in their faces. lol
    Your Ego Man sounds like a real winner. Always amazes me that peeps like hin really exist. Makes life interesting, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on getting good news from your readers. And for being honest during your job review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome news about your books being such a hit with your readers. It sounds like an interesting world you're crafting there.

    And don't worry too much about being glad Ego Man is gone. If he worked so hard to be unlikeable, he's not worth feeling bad about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so exciting to hear! And thanks for the laughs on the vids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the great feedback. My performance reviews have never been related to pay, in either of my jobs, so I've never taken them seriously. My favourite review was during the 1998 Football World Cup where we talked football for an hour and then my line-manager filled out the paperwork afterwards. And gave me a glowing report, because he never saw the point either! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love stopping by here! always a pick me up =)
    cant wait to read more of effigy!
    and they want you to put on a happy face for no more raises?
    it appears we are at an impasse =)

    looking forward to reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, no more Ego Man. And I don't know why they have to have company initiatives. They're pointless anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay!! No more big-headed Ego Man!! That is an awesome note from your beta reader.

    LMAO these little clips were hilarious. I love Camo Peeta. I wanted to kill him at the end of the film and the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those How it Should Have Ended series. Hysterical. Glad to hear Ego man left. Make sure you change the locks and black out the windows in the event he decides to come back. And congrats on the awesome feedback for your novels.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on Effigy - that's very encouraging. And have a SECOND happy dance because of Ego man, you deserve it. I laughed a lot at your dialogue with the boss, you're a girl after my own heart. So I've awarded you something...check it out: http://www.susanroebuck.com/2012/08/booker-award-not-real-one.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  21. your blog is great contribution for entire blogosphere,
    I follow you now and my pleasure if you join us too http://jakesprinter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hooray for the end of Ego Man!

    And you need to hurry up and turn Effigy into an international best seller so you can finally quit The Store. You're too good for those people.

    Oh, and I LOVE How it Should Have Ended. The Hunger Games one makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Speaking of being more productive than other employees, I once left a job and, within two months, the owner had to get rid of the entire staff that had been working with me, because, after I left, he discovered that I had been carrying the entire team. Something I already knew. He had to hire an entire store of new employees and, still, was never able to get it running at the level it was when I was doing (virtually) all the work. He went from being a successful (profitable) business while I was there to going out of business within 2 years of me leaving.
    At any rate, I love your relationship with the store and being more productive without trying than everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't let the store kill your spirit, M.J. It sounds like a mind numbing experience to work there, and you have my sympathies. I'm so happy for you that you got great beta feedback. That's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello.. Firstly I would like to send greetings to all readers. After this, I recognize the content so interesting about this article. For me personally I liked all the information.
    Dog Death

    ReplyDelete