Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Endless Edits (an AYWN Update)

Oh hey, would you look at that.  It's the end of July.  The end of freaking July— am I the only one thinking maybe it shouldn't be the end of July already?  That instead it should really be just the middle of July?

I am the only one?  Well, all right then.  Let's move on...

As it is, unfortunately, the end of the month, it's time to look at the writing goals I set for myself at the start of July and own up to just how much I didn't accomplish my goal.

Here's what I set out to do in July:

1.  Complete yet another round of "final edits"
2.  Stop frakking things up so I can stop with the rounds of "final edits"

And here's what I actually accomplished in July:

1.  Effigy is currently sitting at 535 pages.  I have edited approximately 498 of these pages which means I have approximately 37 left to go.  I may even finish them by midnight tonight which would mean that, technically, I have, in fact, accomplished this rather important goal, but I highly doubt I'll prove to be that efficient.  This is me we're talking about, after all.

2.  Well, this goal probably depends upon whom you ask.  But to be on the safe side, let's just not ask anyone, okay?

So, overall, maybe it's not that bad.  It's not great because it's not done but it's not that bad.  It could be a lot worse and, actually, I'm surprised it isn't worse because I know exactly how much time I didn't spend editing this month.  And now that I've said that, I am feeling ashamed that I didn't finish.

Must do better.

That said, let's take a look at the goals I'm setting for August:

1.  Finish editing those 37 (or so) pages.

2.  Get entire manuscript into the hands of a copy editor.
3.  Do not go crazy while waiting to  hear back from said copy editor.
4.  Stop putting off the whole cover artist thing.

One of these days, I swear I'm going to set a goal to sleep twenty hours a day and watch television the other four.  But until then, I'll work on these.  Hope y'all are doing well.  See you next time...


30 comments:

  1. Good job!! I am glad to see you finally progressing with Effigy!! I know how hard you have worked on this novel and I can't wait to read it!! =)

    Great goals for August!!

    I am currently in the revision stage of my WIP, so basically I am just face desking all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie Rae. That's very kind of you.

      And you amaze me with how on point you always are. I'm sure you'll power through your revisions in no time.

      Delete
  2. Don't be so hard on yourself! Editing is exhausting, and you have done a LOT! I am sure you will get those last pages done soon, and complete your August goals with ease! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kyra. And this is probably going to sound like I'm being hard on myself again but I don't know how soon I'll get them done. I saved all the hard stuff for last...

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the progress you have made thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to get that manuscript into the hands of an editor so you'll stop freaking over it! You're an even tougher perfectionist than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am. My significant other tells me that every day. And I know my manuscript won't ever be perfect, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it.

      Delete
  5. M.J.:

    I agree with Alex. Get your MS to an editor. Stop worrying.

    Right now, I'm working on my formetting for the formatter.

    And if you need a great cover artist. I know of one. You should check out http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com I posted my new cover and interviewed the cover artist.

    Anyway, good luck. I'll be watching.

    Hugs,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop worrying... Yep, I've got nothing. That's a completely alien concept to me. =)

      Delete
  6. You are being waaaaaay too hard on yourself. (Believe me, I recognize it when I see it happening.) Keep setting those goals - even if you accomplish half of them, that's more than you would've done if you hadn't set any goals in the first place, right? Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just really hate not accomplishing goals I've set for myself.

      Delete
  7. Stay positive, M.J. After all, you've practically reached your July goals, and that's something to be proud of. I, on the other hand, only made one writing-related goal this month -- "Write" -- and I still fell short.

    Best of luck churning through the final 37, and making your way through next month's goals. (Although, I suspect #3 might be tough...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, #3 will be tough. Especially when you take into consideration that I'm already crazy...

      Delete
  8. 20 hours a day? That's a lofty goal. I would be impressed if you could do that for any sustained amount of time. Out of curiosity, when do you eat? While sleeping or while watching TV? Since, you know, you didn't schedule any time for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would take the adult dose of Nyquil but I might be able to pull off the 20 hours a day thing...

      I guess I'll have to eat while watching television. Fortunately, I have a lot of practice.

      Delete
  9. I think you did really good. So what if you didn't get to the other 37? Knowing you, you will be getting to them sooner rather than later. You are hard working like that. Best of luck with the rest of your goals for August and by the way, I don't think it should be the end of July either. I am not ready to be into August already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm down to 24 pages now. But as I commented earlier, they're all the really hard things.

      Maybe we can petition to have July restored and have a do-over or something?

      Delete
  10. Actually, I don't think July should have begun at all yet. I really need to start making goals, then I might actually get stuff done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting goals really helps me because I really hate not getting them done. I mean, I'd hate it even if I didn't blog about it on a monthly basis.

      Delete
  11. Good on you, for setting and sticking to your goals! Well done!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  12. thats a lot to edit! good job!
    and july should not be over! fastest month of the year, so far =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome! July went by in a blur for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I pulled up the calculator just to see. At 498 pages, you accomplished 93% of your goal. And at 511 (with 24 pages left to go) you're at 95.5%. If you were going for a letter grade, that would be an A.

    Goals are good. Punishing yourself for falling a little short is not. Congratulations on what you did accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree. The middle of July would be great.

    Congratulations on your writing progress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a big book. I agree about July. Where did it go? I have too many things I need to get done in August.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are too funny! But I agree with you on all counts - where did the month go and I really need to finish the last 20 pages... what makes that task so hard??

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is so exciting that you're almost done with editing!

    I love that one of your goals is to not go crazy waiting on the copy editor. Waiting is usually the hardest part!

    ReplyDelete