Friday, June 29, 2012

Writing and Rewriting (an AYWN Update)


Well, it's technically not the end of June nor the beginning of July but as I don't tend to blog on weekends unless it's October, I'm going to write this post today.  I assume you'll forgive me.

For anyone new to the blog or for anyone just needing a reminder, Are You Writing Now? is a group whose purpose is accountability.  At the beginning of each month, members create and post a set of writing goals to be reached by the end of the month.  Then, at the end of each month, we post just how well we did with those goals.

And, like last month, I'm merging these two things into one post.

Here's the goal (yes, as in singular) I set for June: 

1.  Correct all the minor fixes.


As I said last month, I had put a copy of my novel onto my Kindle and was in the process of combing it for mistakes, big and small.  At the time of my post, I had eleven and a half pages of minor fixes to make.  When I finished my read-through, that number ballooned to twenty.    Twenty pages that looked like this:



So how did I do with this goal, you ask yourself?  Well, if you saw my post on June 7th, you'll already know the answer because I.  Did.  It.

That's right.  I actually accomplished a goal.

(Pause for shock and awe.)

Then after I finished making my twenty pages of corrections, I handed the book off to a trio of new beta readers.  The ritual worrying quickly set in but within a week, I had not one but two betas who had made it all the way through the book.  (the third, as far as I know, is still reading)  If you're familiar with my sad, sad history with betas, you'll know just what a cause for celebration that is.  It was made even better when neither of them came back with, "Yeah, you should probably give up the writing thing in favor of flipping burgers or something."

They didn't hate it!  Go me!

But neither did they find the book to be as flawless as I like to think it is.  Which leads me to my goals for the coming month:

1.  Complete yet another round of "final edits" (I do not think that phrase means what I think it means...).
2.  Stop frakking things up so I can stop with the rounds of "final edits"

One of these days, I'm bound to get it right.  Right?

RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?

Best of luck to my fellow #AYWN participants...

28 comments:

  1. I think "final edits" happen in stages. There are "final edits" before you read it back as a whole, then "final edits" before you hand it out to CPs, and "final edits" when you get it back. It may also be followed by another round or two, but eventually it does end. I promise! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the next person to get it is the copy editor so I do envision yet another round of "final edits" then, but I really do hope that'll be the true final final edit.

      Delete
  2. Good luck! If this month is anything to go by, you're going to smash next month's goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to the editing gods' ears...

      Delete
  3. Well done, M.J.! You're moving forward (even if it doesn't always feel like it!) and that's an accomplishment in itself. How many people don't bother to move at all? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very lovely way of making me seem less pathetic. I appreciate it, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Yes, one day you frakkin' will :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. The alternative is just too depressing.

      Delete
  5. Good luck! You're doing great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! You are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, the phrase "final edits" has the ring of "famous last words." :-)

    Congrats and rock on!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. I'm going to start calling this round the penultimate edits.

      Delete
  8. I can so relate to this M.J. I am still trialing beta readers and critique partners! It is very hard to find one or two who can relate to writing styles and make honest suggestions.

    You do sound like your are heading down the path, leading you closer to finishing though! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with the trio of betas I have now. They definitely don't shy away from telling me what's wrong.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the awesome accomplishment, and good luck with the next step. You are heading in the right direction!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be headed in the right direction by now. I've tried every other direction possible and it's been the wrong one, so doesn't law of averages or something require me to have stumbled on the right one?

      Delete
  10. Fantastic progress, M! I've sent mine out to two beta readers, and have yet to hear back. It's been two months. They are falling into the category of betas that you had previously. Oh, well. I'm treating it as no news is good news. My cp is very diligent about returning in a timely manor, so-no worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they get to six months, they're in the category of my past betas. If they cross the year mark, then they've surpassed it....

      But I'm sure that won't happen to you.

      I'm using the "no news is good news" approach with beta #3.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on achieving your goal and good luck with the new one. I totally believe in you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. well done, mj... like some wag put it: the REAL writing comes in the RE-writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only it didn't make me so miserable... =)

      Delete
  13. I don't think the word 'final' has any meaning within writing and publishing! Well done on achieving a goal - I always feel the need to make my own after reading your posts, and then promptly forget :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else likened it to Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on meeting your goal, M.J.! And on your new betas and on your final edits!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!

    Good luck with your July goals.

    ReplyDelete