Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Something To Blog About


Well, yesterday I made a plea for someone to give me something to blog about and once again, the blogosphere comes through in fine fashion.  I received not one but two different blog awards from two different people.

Thank you, ladies.  I am, as always, flattered to have been thought of and quite thrilled to have something besides chocolate croissants (as delicious as they may be) to blog about today (hence my very clever title).

First up is the Stylish Blogger Award, courtesy of Rachel Pattinson over at Rachel's Ramblings.  Each recipient is asked to share five things about his or her blog.  I honestly found this to be rather difficult but here's what I came up with:

1.  I started blogging back in January 2005.  I don't know why I thought I should start a blog but I did.  I'm sure writing had something to do with it but my very first post was about the New England Patriots defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship game. 

2.  My most popular posts (views and comments wise) ever both came from last month's A to Z Challenge (a great way to grow your blog if you're interested in doing that).  The first concerned my big ass storyboard.  The second was about the Animaniacs.  Both took over the spot from my Justin Beiber movie post.  Sorry, Biebs.

3.  The first non-relative to comment on my blog was Ava Quinn from Tongue in Cheek.  If you don't already follow her blog, you really should because she's hilarious.

4.  At the beginning of each month, I post a review of all the books I read during the previous month.  Since I have a tendency to read a lot of books, these reviews are usually short little blurbs giving you all the essential information (did I like the book or hate the book) you need without any of those nasty spoilers.  It's been pointed out to me that I am occasionally brutal to the books I don't like (and I don't like a lot of books).  This will probably come back to bite me in the ass someday when someone hates Effigy but I'm not going to say I like a book I don't like.  Honesty is the best— if not nicest— policy.

5.  Joss Whedon (and the Whedonverse) is the most frequently mentioned person/subject of this blog.  (Effigy is a close second.)  It's like I'm obsessed or something...

My second award is the Versatile Blogger Award.  It was bestowed upon me by Tara Tyler from Tara Tyler Talks. 

When one accepts this award, one is asked to share seven facts about oneself.  But I'm sure I have seven facts left to share (after all, I have been blogging since 2005) so I'm going to share the seven television quotes I have most recently scribbled down into my notebook. 

These are quotes that I have found to be hilarious or clever or inspirational (as in 'hey, wouldn't that be a cool concept for my novel' inspirational, not 'Stuart Smalley's Deep Thoughts' inspirational) or some combination of the three.  So here are the seven most recent scribbled down lines:

1.  Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?  No, a summer's day is not a bitch.  (Nick from New Girl)

2.  You're not alone.  You have friends.  Somewhere.  I assume.  (April from Parks and Recreation)

3.  I always hear 'punch me in the face' with you but it's usually subtext.  (Watson from Sherlock)

4.  Beer, other drinks may get me drunk but only you intoxicate me.  (Bobby from Cougar Town)

5.  I haven't been judged by this many people since I forgot my canvas bags at Whole Foods.  (Mitchell from Modern Family)

6.  I've got a pantomine horse disguise you could use.  Do either of you have experience being a horse's ass?  (Veronica from Veronica Mars)

7.  I may be on the side of angels but don't for one second think that I am one of them.  (Sherlock Holmes from Sherlock)

I'll leave you to work out which is which...

Thanks again to Rachel and Tara.  Go visit their blogs and I'll see y'all next time.

21 comments:

  1. Sherlock and Modern Family. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I don't mention Joss as much as you, but I think of all his greatness every day. This must count for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should've saved one of the awards so you'd have a second post ready. :)

    One of my favorite Modern Family scenes is when Cam is putting Lily in the car seat and she bites him and he says, "It's like 'Twilight' back here." Cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Dig the quotes. And Whedon should be mentioned whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Christa- I'm pretty sure the only site where he's mentioned more is the online community that's actually devoted to him. Thinking of all his greatness every day definitely counts for something. A lot of something.

    @Madeline- Yes, that would've been the smart thing to do which explains why I didn't do that. =)

    @Alex- Thanks. And yes, Whedon should be mentioned as much as possible. I wonder how I could mention him more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha #5---so funny and true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your awards! Wow, you've been blogging for a long time. And still going strong. Very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the awards :) Love the Sherlock quote :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the awards.

    Love the quotes. I do that too!

    HMG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the awards. And those quotes were excellent. Both where they're from (LOVE Veronica Mars, Sherlock and New Girl), and the quotes themselves - particularly Nick's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quotes. I guess I'm watching the wrong shows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Lynn- Yes, I've had personal experience with #5.

    @Cherie- Thank you. I have been blogging a long time but it usually doesn't feel that way.

    @Jamie- Thanks. I'm considering a move to England so I don't have to wait for long for the next season of Sherlock...

    @Heather- Oh good! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one!

    @S.L- Oh, that Nick quote made me laugh so hard the first time I heard it that I couldn't breath for a while. Thank goodness for my DVR.

    @Liz- I don't know what shows you're watching but I don't think you can go wrong with Sherlock )r any of the others I listed). Brilliant television.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love that you write quotes! they're awesome!
    quotes in the entertainment weekly are my fave part!

    you know, you couldve stretched that into 2 posts =)

    congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the awards!

    Those are great quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the awards!! Great quotes too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, thanks for the shout out! You know I was drawn here by all the yummy sarcasm and couldn't help but stay.

    Whedon. Whedon. Whedon. Joss. J. Whedon. Joss Whedon. Whedonistic Whedoness. Yeah. That's still not enough Whedon. You can't mention Joss Whedon too many times. Just can't be done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. I really did LOL when I read the "New Girl" quote.

    2. a Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is like buttah. ::swoons::

    2. b I really, desperately can't wait for the third season of Sherlock. :-(

    3. Mazel tov on your awards!

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Tara- I too love the quotes section of EW. And yeah, someone else made the two post point too. Guess I'll just have to think of something else.

    @Golden Eagle and @Lisa- Thank you.

    @Ava- Gotham city has a bat signal, I have a sarcasm signal. And no, I don't think you can mention Joss Whedon too many times. Though every day I do seem to strive to prove that wrong.

    @Mina- That New Girl quote killed me the first time I heard it. Best. Line. Ever. And I totally have a crush on Benedict Cumberbatch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, I just watched that Cougar Town last night! Also, love Veronica Mars and Sherlock. I'm a sucker for sarcasm.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, road tripping through the #atozchallenge participants!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LMAO! I love these quotes and hell to the yeah your first post was about the Pats and football. I love my Bears like that.

    Congrats on the awesome awards!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so fun.

    That quote from Mitchell about the canvas bags cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete