Monday, May 21, 2012

Give Me Something To Blog About!

I've written three titles (give yourself bonus points if my chosen title made you sing a certain song from "Once More With Feeling") and four opening sentences for this particular post today.  Each time I started one, I made it as far as the first period before I stopped, put my chin in my hand for a moment and then deleted everything.  Once, I didn't even make it as far as that first period.  This is a clear indication that I am still not feeling this whole blogging rhythm thing.  I never should have taken that post A to Z Challenge break.  The day I did was the day I lost my groove.

Plus, I don't have much to blog about.  Over the weekend, our hot water heater broke and flooded part of our basement. I also got my first sunburn during the Gator Girl's agility class but neither of those are really blog worthy (which explains why I just told you about them in my blog, I know).  But the truth is, I'm still in my limbo state of mind (maybe Leonardo DiCaprio will come looking for me) which means I am still working my way through my backlog of Supernatural (ten episodes to go!).  I have, however, switched from inhaling chocolate croissants to inhaling devil dogs.  I did this mostly because someone's been getting to the bakery before me in the morning to buy out the entire stock of chocolate croissants, leaving me with only danishes and I don't like danishes.  I find this to be such a jerk move.  Forget the fact that I, too, was buying all the chocolate croissants in all the land (all right, in that one bakery) but I didn't mind it so much when I was the one going home with chocolate croissants (I have spent so much time blogging about chocolate croissants lately that Klout is going to name me influential on this subject, along with pizza and cookies. I am definitely doing something wrong here. If only I could figure out what...).  I mean, I like devil dogs obviously— I wouldn't be inhaling them at such a rapid (and slightly alarming) rate if I didn't— but they weren't Plan A.

Not that sitting around watching television while stuffing my face with pastries was Plan A.  But if one can't do what one wants, it does make for a solid Plan B.  Or C.  Or whatever letter I'm up to now.  I've kind of lost track.

Plan A would, of course, be writing.  I've done some.  (Pause for shocked gasps)  I'm pleased to report that for the first time in a long time, all Effigy scenes are complete.  There are no more "Insert Plot Here" notes kicking around.  That doesn't mean that I'm happy with all scenes.  It just means they're complete.  Complete but not finished— is that an oxymoron? Or just moronic?  Anyway, since they weren't complete at the start of the month, I'm choosing to count it as progress.  And if I can finish the tweaking portion of the editing process by the end of the the month, I'll be downright giddy.

This makes a halfway decent segue to this, my theme song (and yeah, I know it's a Glee recording but, love or hate the show (and I honestly do both), this is still a kick ass recording of a kick ass song):
See y'all next time...

15 comments:

  1. Didn't you once ruin towels when your basement flooded?? Or am I just crazy?
    And no one person should have the weirdest luck that you do.
    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww man, sounds like you've had some bad luck lately! I know how you feel about the chocolate croissants - seems like every time I decide to go out and buy some...someone has been there before me and eaten the lot :(. It's just plain selfish :P!
    Anyway, I just thought you'd like to know that I've decided to award you with a 'Stylish Blogger's Award' - hooray! I really enjoy reading your blog, and I've just checked out the site for Effigy, and I love it!! I think you really deserve it :) - although I'm guessing that an established blog like yours might have already have been awarded one lol! But if not, you can check out the rules/explanation on my blog :).

    Hope you're having a good day!

    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had to deal with Blogger's block a time or two myself. My post today was mostly about me trouble trying to make microwave oatmeal, so I don't think I'm actually good at ideas anyway.

    Congrats on the finished draft. I tip my hat to you, that's a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry for the flood, sounds like a great short story in the making...

    and i gave you an award, now you can blog about it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should count that as progress! Even if there's still more work, you completed a step.
    Ask the bakery if you can preorder or pay for in advance some of those chocolate croissants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Buffy clip from a brilliant Buffy episode.

    You're still making progress, so it all counts. My progress recently has been thinking... but I'm doing it! Okay, you're slightly ahead of me, having actually put some words on a page! Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing great with moving ahead with your writing. That's the most important part.

    And I don't think you can really go wrong with a blog post about chocolate croissants. Or Devil Dogs. Or writing. Or books. Or movies. Or TV shows...

    Hang in there. You'll find your groove again. Or create a new one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it crazy how we can come up with six blog posts a week for a month and then...nothing. I've been struggling with things to blog about ever since the challenge ended too.

    You realize I'll have to go buy chocolate croissants now too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jolene- Why yes, I did once ruin towels when my basement flooded. That was hurricane related though. We ruined a few more over the weekend.

    @Rachel- Why thank you for the award. I don't think I have been awarded this one yet.

    @Rusty- I too have had trouble making microwave oatmeal. I think it could make for a very funny post and I'm now wondering why I never wrote that story.

    @Tara- The flood story was one of the deleted posts. Thanks for the award. I do love having things blog about.

    @Alex- I am ever inching closer to my goal. Only to take three giant steps backward.

    @Annalisa- My progress the last twenty four hours has been of the thinking variety too. And since it just looks like me staring out a window, it's hard to convince the significant other that I'm working.

    @Madeline- You're right... it might be easier to create a new groove. I never thought of that.

    @L.G- Save a croissant for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Basement flooding sucks! And it is blogworthy. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen ~ sistah.Everybody stand up and say Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What the heck is a devil dog? I've heard of bear claws but never these devil things.

    >sigh<
    Still not getting notices when you post and nothing I do seems to help. Well, I know it doesn't, since I'm not getting notified. >grumble grumble<

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you considered switching to ho-ho's for more inspiration? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jenny- It's a good thing my kayaks are in the basement. That way I know I'll always be able to get around down there.

    @Farawayeyes- Amen!

    @Andrew- A devil dog is an elongated whoopie pie. You know, if you know what a whoopie pie is...

    @Andrea- Do you think more inspiration would come with a package of ho-hos? Because I've never really been a fan of that particular snack cake but if inspiration is in the mix, I'll give them another try...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't believe you haven't got anything to blog about! What was that I just read? AND I saw you as a guest on a blog yesterday...so lots of stuff going on. And you can blog about chocolate croissants for ever and a day as far as I'm concerned :-)

    ReplyDelete