Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Undead and Lovin' It


Today we're talking about vampires. And by 'vampires', I mean the real kind. The kind that doesn't sparkle. (Although a certain sparkly vampire will make an appearance at the end of this post.) In the interests of time, this will only be a partial list. If I leave out your favorites, please mention them below. 



1.  Nosferatu
Holy crap, this is one creepy dude.  He’s the title character of a 1922 German silent movie with a pretty jazzy soundtrack.  In the film, Count Orlok (aka Nosferatu) terrorizes Transylvania until that gets boring and then ships himself in a coffin over to the fictitious German city of Wisborg where the resumes his habit of eating people.  He also watches from a window as his pure of heart next door neighbor, Ellen, sleeps.

See, Edward. It’s creepy.

Ellen reads a book all about vampires that her husband brought home from oversea travels to Transylvania and learns the way to kill a vampire is for a pure of heart woman to distract the vampire with her beauty all night long so he forgets to return to his hideaway when the dawn comes. So Ellen does as the book describes. Orlok comes through her window, drinks her blood and stays there all night long. He forgets about dawn and vanishes in a puff of smoke.  Ellen lives just long enough for one last loving embrace with her husband.  And Nosferatu is never heard from again… or is he?



2.  Eric Northman from True Blood
I can never decide if I love this show or hate this show but since I can’t stop watching it (no matter now disgusting it gets… and it gets pretty damn disgusting), I guess it doesn’t matter.  At any rate, Eric Northman is pretty damn easy on the eyes.



3.  The Salvatore Brothers from The Vampire Diaries

I should probably be embarrassed by how frakking obsessed with this show I am but then Damn takes his shirt off and I completely forget.  My favorite line comes from Damon when he says, “I do believe in killing the messenger. You know why? Because it sends a message.”  The vampires on this show can walk in the sun but they only think they sparkle with is genius. Very few shows can pack as much action and angst into each and every episode.



4.  The Vamps from the Whedonverse

I saved this group for last because (a) there are so many of them and (b) they rock.  There’s Angel and Angelus, Spike and Drusilla, Darla, even Harmony and let’s not forget Vampire Willow and Vampire Xander.  They’re good, they’re bad, they’re human, they’re soulless, they’re soulful (?), they’ve been sent to hell and they’ve come back…where they stop, nobody knows!



Well, that’s gonna to do it for me today. I have a line of post-it notes requiring my attention. But before I disappear, here’s that Edward Cullen cameo I teased in the opening paragraph:




29 comments:

  1. I loved Angel. I loved Spike. Then I loved Angel again when he went off to his own series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary Oldman as Dracula was also inspired casting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Eric! (And I'm with you on the love/hate but can't stop watching thing).

    And I'm a huge SPIKE lover. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Annalisa- I've never seen that movie but I have a friend who would agree with you. She considers that movie to be the most romantic movie ever.

    @Jaycee- I'm so glad I'm not the only person who feels that way about True Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some good choices there, though I'd put in Selena from Underworld in there too, as well as Blade :)


    Jamie
    Fellow A-Z Buddy
    Doing a monumental blog catch-up
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  6. No TV so I don't know some of these guys. Saw the old Bela Legosi version recently, he's still the creepiest vampire around, in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHA, I LOVE that video. It cracks me up every single time. And you're right...starting in windows? Always always creepy. But I LOVE Eric and Angel. Decidedly NOT creepy vamp hotties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and Spike is the funniest vampire ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jamie- Whenever I think about vampires (and it's surprisingly often), I always forget about Selena and Blade. Thanks for the reminder.

    @Shelly- Sting?

    @farawayeyes- I don't think I've ever seen the Bela Legosi version. I'll have to check it out.

    @S.L- Spike is easily the funniest vampire. Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first two things that popped into my head re vampires were "The Lost Boys" (Why does Kiefer Sutherland make such a good bad guy?) and Stephen King's book, SALEM'S LOT (creeped me out to no end.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nosferatu is still the creepiest, most effective vampire.
    I also liked the vampires in the movie Near Dark - and not once did they ever call them vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Madeline- I think Kiefer Sutherland makes a better bad guy than good guy. And I tried to read Salem's Lot a few years ago and it just... bored me. I couldn't get through it. But I like a lot of King's other novels. Well, maybe not a lot. But some.

    @Alex- I've never seen Near Dark. I'm not sure I've ever heard of it. Sounds like a job for IMDB...

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOLOLOLOL!!!

    I LOVE Buffy! Whee, she killed Edward! That was an awesome, hilarious vid. DO you mind if I share it for my V post?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I may be the only person who doesn't find vampires sexy. They are blood sucking, murdering, scary monster things. *Shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL!
    That was so cool. Go Buffy!


    Oh, and Angel and Eric are may fav vampires. At least they have fangs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. barnabas collins from the original dark shadows, will always be my favorite vampire

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that remix--LOL. I've never watched Buffy, but it's weird how well the two seem to link together, edited properly.


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hehe! I keep going back to Eric Northman. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never really enjoyed vampires as monsters like other people did. I did read the Anne Rice vampire novels in the early nineties - and thought they were great - and of course I loved the Buffy/Angel shows. But aside from those I've never really cared that much for them.

    Happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh. Just when I thought you rocked, well, you rocked some more!

    Vampires. Gosh, I miss them.

    I don't know what these things are walking around today.

    Angel/Angelus and Spike are badass and of course so hot.
    I tried to watch True Blood. I wasn't fond of the books but I gave the show a shot. It is pretty disgusting and not in a sexy disgusting way. I didn't make it through season 1.
    I wasn't sure about The Vampire Diaries. Maybe I'll give that a shot.
    Do you remember back in the mid-nineties there was a show called Kindred: The Embraced? It was based on an RPG and it ended abruptly when the lead of the show was killed in a motorcycle accident. That show had potential.

    Oh well. One day, after I finish my werewolf story, I'll start my vampire story.
    :)

    Great post!
    Great video!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really need to open my heart to vampires! Now I have a list of where to start! (ok, admittedly I do,know Edward Cullen)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like me some sexy vampires with undertones of menace: Frank Langella's Dracula, Chris Sarandon as Jerry Dandridge in "Fright Night," and even, I have to admit, George Hamilton in "Love at First Bite." :-D

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't care much for brooding vampire types... and yes, that includes Angel. He's really only interesting when he's evil. Spike and Drusilla, on the other hand...

    And here's a simple rule to follow: If a guy sparkles in the daytime, stake him. (Oh, wait, that could get you in trouble; some guys may have just done arts & crafts with their kids. New rule: if a guy sparkles in the daytime but his clothes don't, stake him.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That vid is bar none one of my favorites. LMAO!

    I loved the Buffy vamps and Spike is one of the twisted best.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this post! I'm glad you picked Eric from True Blood--I really don't care that much for Bill. I love me some Salvatore Brothers, and OF COURSE I love Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I never knew the story of Nesferatu and now I totally want to watch the movie. Checking to see if it's available through Netflix...

    I can't get into True Blood. I read the first Sookie Sackhouse book and didn't care at all, so I'm not interested in the show.

    But I love me some Whedon vampires!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hahaha, love the video! You've of course hit on my favorite undead characters - the Whedon Vampires :D

    And as much as I love Ian Somerhalder, I have never watched The Vampire Diaries. I've been waiting to read the books first :\

    ReplyDelete