Monday, April 23, 2012

Tagged

Cortney Pearson over at Writer By Day was kind enough to tag me in the Lucky Seven meme that's sweeping the blogosphere.  In the process, she provided me with a perfect topic for today's post.  Thanks, Cortney!

If you're unfamiliar with this meme, the idea is for the readers of your blog to get a teeny tiny peek at your Work In Progress. I've enjoyed this meme.  It's awesome how many people have such exciting snippets to share.

Here are the rules:

1.  Go to page 77 of your current WIP

2.  Go to line 7.

3.  Copy the next 7 lines/paragraphs and post them as they're written.
4.  Tag 7 other authors.

I was tagged last month and shared seven lines on page 77 of Effigy so this time time around, I'm going to share the seven lines from page 77 of Second Nature which is Effigy's sequel.  This bit of a scene finds us smack in the middle of an argument between the main character, Cate and another character, Aaron.

"Oh, you are in for a world of hurt, John Boy," she said.  "The second you put me down— the very second my feet touch the ground— I'm gonna make you bleed."


That made Aaron laugh. Cate didn't appreciate it.

"You don't think I can take you?" she asked. "Because I can.  And I will."

He laughed more.  "Mostly I think I don't fight girls."

"That makes two of us," Cate said. "But in your case, I'd be willing to make an exception."

"Are you calling me a girl?"

"It's an insult to girls everywhere, I know," Cate said.  "I'll make it up to them after I've finished making you cry, you pain in the ass emo freak."


Now this is the part where I'm supposed to tag seven other authors and this is the part I always skip.  But, as I said last time, if you're a writer who's curious about what may lurk on page 77 of your own manuscript and want to share it with the world, please consider yourselves tagged.
Hope everyone has a terrific Monday. See y'all tomorrow.

21 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'm ambivalent about this girl! Should I like her--or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Cate! She should definitely make him cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More. More. More. More.!!!!

    Please?

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amusing excerpt! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful excerpt! Cate is a great character. Just think. Someday we'll be reading this book. Yippee!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun excerpt and some really great and lively dialogue. Nice writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, Cate sounds pretty awesome. Post more, post more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome excerpt. Happy Monday to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a fun scene. I hope she kicks the crap out of him. Ha! Just kidding. Love the banter though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Cate girl! Anyone who can be snarky and sarcastic and kick butt all at once wins in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Cate!

    Sympathise very much with your blogger fight (below) re centre-ing of pictures. I'm on Wordpress and although I have no problem in blogs, on my right hand bar, will anything centre? Will it heck.

    WHY!!!! Surely centre is always centre? Sigh.

    http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool snippet. :) I've seen a lot of these going around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I've quite gotten to page 77 yet, but this is fun! And I like your snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this dialogue! Very Whedonesque! As always, I remain impressed and simply insist you finish editing so I can read the rest!

    I haven't gotten around to editing page 77, though if I go the PDF of my MS rather than the Word Doc I have an entirely different scene on my hands. Redo the tag or not? Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete