Thursday, April 19, 2012

Queens (the evil kind)

Today we're talking about Evil Queens. Yes, I know. This is the second post this month I've devoted to the awesomeness of evil characters and you're concerned for me and my seeming lack of moral fiber. That, or you've read this blog long enough to know that in place of moral fiber I was just given an extra snark gene. Or twenty.

But it doesn't change the fact that we're talking about evil queens. Good queens are well and... well, good (yes, folks! Marvel at my command of the English language!) but the evil queens get to have all the fun and all the good lines and they often times make a fantasy story that much more interesting. Not to mention they're often times rather integral to the plot. Not every good fantasy story has an evil queen but some of the very best do and this post will be dedicated to four of them (listed in no particular order). If I leave out your favorites, please mention them in the comments.

1. The Queen of Hearts from Alice In Wonderland.

First of all, give yourself bonus points (no cash value) if you now have a certain Juice Newton song stuck in your head. (If you don't have a certain Juice Newton song stuck in your head, it's possible you're too young to read this blog. That, or I'm in desperate need of a life.)

Second of all, the Queen of Hearts is noted for being a short tempered, foul tempered croquet enthusiast. She is NOT the Red Queen from Alice In Wonderland's sequel, Through The Looking Glass. And then there's this (courtesy of Lewis Carroll):

The Queen had only one way of settling all difficulties, great or small. 'Off with his head!' she said, without even looking round.

2. The Wicked Queen (AKA the Evil Queen) from Snow White.

Interesting fun fact: In the first edition of the Snow White tale, the wicked queen was Snow White's biological mother. Not her stepmother. Also, Snow White's name in the first edition was actually Snowdrop

Another interesting fun fact: The Disney version of this character ranks #10 on the American Film Institute list of the 100 Best Villains of All Time

Famous line: Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

3. The White Witch from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Jadis is her name and freezing Narnia is her game. When The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe begins, this winter has lasted for 100 years and her castle is filled with petrified ( as in 'turned to stone') Narnians. Yikes.

She's also the reason we have a "don't take candy from strangers" policy for our children as she lures Edmund Pevensie into her sleigh with Turkish Delight.

4. Queen Bavmorda from Willow

All right, so just how awesome was this movie?

This is a character from the 1988 film directed by Ron Howard. It also starred Val Kilmer (Madmartigan) and Warwick Davis as the titular character. Queen Bavmorda hears a prophecy stating that a newborn baby girl will bring about her downfall so naturally, she imprisons all pregnant women in her stronghold until the child in question is born. Of course, a midwife takes the child and escapes and all hell breaks loose. Bavmorda sends out the troops to track the child down. While she waits for the infant to be returned to her, she turns people into possums, other people into ice, and some into pigs. At least she has variety, right?

Right.

And now... It's Shameless Plug Time!

My own fantasy series, The Coileáin Chronicles, has an evil queen of its own, Zaide Romanza Brollachan. I thought about posting the scene from Effigy where she ascends the throne but it's way too long for an A to Z Challenge post. If you're interested in reading it, you can do so HERE.

Thanks for stopping by... see y'all tomorrow!

37 comments:

  1. I love evil Queens!! And I'm so psyched for SWATH - Charlize Theron looks like an amazing evil queen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love my evil queens. They really are so much more fun. And yes I do remember Juice Newton. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful scene you wrote. Zaide is a scary good sociopath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The White Witch wins for me. And yes, now I do have that song stuck in my head. Thanks. A little Pantera should take care of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOOO....You forgot the wicked witch of the west from the wizard of Oz :) Stopped in from the A-Z, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love a good Evil Queen. I have never seen Willow, but now I want to! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this post! I had no idea about Snow White, so thanks for sharing those facts. Is the picture you posted for the queen from Snow White from the upcoming movie?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @A.K.- Oh, I'm really looking forward to that movie too. You're so right about Charlize.

    @Melissa- Thanks so much for reading the scene and then coming back to tell me what you thought. It's much appreciated. =)

    @Alex- You're welcome...and I have no idea who Pantera is.

    @Siv- Is she a queen? I didn't include her because I didn't think she was technically a queen. A question for Google...

    @Madeline- Sorry...

    @Rachel- You're welcome. Willow is some awesome 80's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for the new Snow White movie with Charlize Theron. She looks amazingly evil/beautiful in that photo. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found the Queen of Hearts in Alice of Wonderland so terrifying I still can't watch it as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great posting on q for queens--and i read your queen story---lovely writing--completely engaging

    ReplyDelete
  12. The White Witch has my vote - and Tilda Swinton played her so well, that woman has the most mesmerising face!

    Great Q post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All great queens! Ah, Willow and Queen Bavmorda. I have a best friend who is having a baby girl next month and naming it Alora, after the baby in Willow. :D

    The Queen of Hearts scared the crap out of me growing up...all those "off with their heads" sent shivers down my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jadis? I didn't remember that!

    Queen of Hearts is also a song by Gregg Allman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list of Queens! I haven't seen Willow in a long time. I loved that movie. It was Val Kilmer's best. Thanks for this fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for Bavmorda!!
    And i'd also throw in Game of Throne's Cercei Lannister. She's not evil in the over the top way, but she's definitely a woman who will do whatever it takes to get what she wants and protect her family

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love an evil queen. They just have so many levels to them. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Evil Queens. They are just so much fun! And the wicked step-mother from Snow White is one of my very favorites. I had no idea that was originally Snow White's bio-mom!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think of Cruella De'Vil...
    talking about evil. Great 'q' word!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've had a bunch of great posts, but this may be my favorite. I wanted to talk about evil queens for my blog post, but my friend told me it wasn't sci-fi enough. Sigh. These are some of my favorites! LOVE both the Wonderland queens!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the evil queen...she makes the story interesting. Nice post with lots of well researched information.
    Monica, Older Mommy Still Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Willow = Awesome!
    Bavmorda = Evil and crazy.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, Willow, I haven't seen that in ages. I should rent that. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Snowdrop and her evil birth mother? Wow. I find that utterly fascinating. Thanks for sharing that snippet, and this very fun post. It's a great "Q" contribution.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  25. I shall cast my vote for the Queen of Diamonds from The Manchurian Candidate. Sure, it was just a playing card and not evil in itself, but it was used for such nefarious purposes (which I do believe are the best purposes there are).

    Also, I'm jealous of your twenty extra snark genes. I was only blessed with thirteen.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do have that Queen of Hearts song in my head but I'm not going to tell you so you won't know how old I am!
    :
    Great post.
    HMG

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm dying to see the Snow White movie. Those are some interesting facts you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  28. awesome queen name! i'm bookmarking your passage for later

    and i wonder why is there so much snow white in tv and movies lately? (did you see snl's disney princess real housewives skit? hilarious!)

    so do people in hollywood hear a rumor and say, "what a great idea. i bet i could do it better!" ? the wagon is full! get original people!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is an awesome post. My favorite is the Narnia queen.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Zaide is an awesome evil queen. I hope your book revisions are going well. I think of your fantasy often.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bavmorda fell for the disappearing pig trick. Gets them everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Evil queen are lots of fun, yes. Evil kings,too, for that matter.

    Sonia Lal, A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fun topic! I love the evil queens in movies. =]

    ReplyDelete
  34. You have an evil queen! Cool! For me it has to be the white witch. She was so awesomely evil. I think I want to write an evil queen into a story. *grins*

    ReplyDelete