Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Office Space

Hey, raise your hands if you thought I'd be blogging about the movie! Although I really do love that movie and invite you to tell me your favorite quotes and/or scenes from that movie, this post is about my own personal office space. That's right. I'm fortunate enough to have not just a corner but an entire room in which to write so I'm posting pictures of where the magic occasionally happens. Be still your beating hearts, right? Right.

Let's start the tour, shall we?


To answer your question (provided you were thinking it), yes. My desk is normally this neat. A while back when I was trying to solve the problem of one particular character and was adding and deleting scenes like they were going out of fashion, the desk was much messier as it was covered in paper copies of each and every one of those scenes as I attempted to Frankenstein the right scene out of them. I figured it out eventually and the desk has since been restored to its normal sense of order. In the lower left hand corner, you can see the copies of my book, Effigy, made exclusively for me as a gift from my brother and sister-in-law. This will probably sound egotistical and definitely weird but I just like to touch them and thinking about the day when I might get to see them on a shelf in a bookstore somewhere. Some days I actually write the book. Some days.


Now that you've seen where the magic happens, I can show you how the magic happens. The goblets were made for me by my sister, B. This probably wasn't the use for them she had envisioned but I seldom do what others envision. Except for all those times when I do just that. Eeek! Conformity!


This is the room's closet which is filled with books, obviously, but they're all writing themed books and literature textbooks (I used to teach high school English— fear that.) and magazines. All my old notebooks are in here as well as my sword and dagger collection. It looks less organized than it really is. But just barely.



This is the big ass storyboard being watched over by the big ass (and not at all lazy) German shepherd. I posted this picture on this blog a little while ago when I was lamenting how far behind I am in my edits and rewrites. The little yellow and pink post-it notes were all corrections that needed to be made. I am pleased to report that there is only one of these notes remaining on the big ass storyboard. The rest of them are now taped to my monitor. And there are only five of them. And two of them are recent additions that didn't make the storyboard picture. I'm not sure where to place that in the 'progress' continuum.

Well, right now I have to progress out of here. I have an early shift at The Store today and rumor has it that I get to refold both the men's and women's jean walls. Now be still my beating heart.

God, I gotta finish this book (and sell a million copies) so I can quit that job.

See you all tomorrow.

37 comments:

  1. What a great room. I had a study, I loved it but last year I had to give it over to my son as a bedroom. Until then, my 2 boys were sharing, and I realised I couldn't be selfish anymore.

    I need to sell my million copies so I can extend my house and have my study back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. howd you know i only have a corner?
    love the goblets of goodies!
    and truly great people dont do what others envision!

    keep writing! then we can use the goblets to toast our bestsellers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I don't even have a corner! I write wherever there's room (and peace!) for me to open up my laptop - frequently in the conservatory because the light is good in there; but I've been known to camp out on the bed and type away furiously!

    ;-p


    SueH I refuse to go quietly!
    Twitter - @Librarymaid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the goblets and the story board. I'm curious how you organize it. I want to start a story board, but I'm not sure that it actually works with my writing style. I have no idea where to start. Maybe an idea for a future blog post?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. You're room is great. Mine is the kitchen table since No-No moved back in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make my writing office look pathetic - there's more evidence of my guitar playing than my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jealous. I used to have my own office, now I have to share one with my hubby because, you know, we had kids and I had to give up my office so they could each have a nursery. Sacrifices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have a Serenity poster, on one wall, and it looks like it might be Lord of the Rings on another, and possible Robin Hood on your computer screen? If so, you have the coolest space I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i could kill for that big ass story board. Love the German Shepherd too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, that story board is brilliant! And exactly what I've been looking for since I changed from pantser to plotter. (You should see my sorry excuse for a layout. Lengths of pages taped together; seriously, it's a mess!) Keep making the magic happen so we can read it one day. Until then, why don't you break me off a piece of that Kit Kat? I'm craving chocolate now that I've seen it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your big ass German Shepherd! So jealous.
    You have great space.
    And, of course, I love your giant Serenity poster! Not sure how much I would get done with Mr. Fillion staring down at me!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. See, now that's what I should do - take the index cards and ripped in half index cards and post-it notes that are covering my floor and put them on the wall. Sheesh! Although, I'm not sure I've got the room...

    And those goblets would be empty by the end of every. Single. Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wouldn't really say I was missing it . . .

    - office space


    I LOVE all the books in your house. That is a lot of happy :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful place to write! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very jealous of your desk. I wish my workplace was ever so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice office. (Writing this from my writing space--my bed.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who'd want to quit a job where you get that sweet title of 'employee of the month?'

    Your office is so awesome... I'm really jealous. Mine is my lap. Of course our semi-permanent house guests have pretty much made sure that every square inch of livable space has dirty diapers or kids toys. Extra awesome.

    I'm not bitter at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like you have a great office space! I'll admit to being jealous, too; I write in the living room where there's sometimes a lot of noise (relatively).


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a little intimidated by all that organization. I just looked around me and it's...a little scattered in my office.

    Love that your story board is down to one post it note. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday...

    Awesome room! Super story board! Although I would be too distracted by it all to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a very attractive big-ass german shepherd dog you have there :)

    how lucky you are to have your own office! And I'm with you on the quit that job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. *Raising hand to say I thought it was the movie* :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Agree with a couple of the other comments... I would love to see how you do your story board. Trying to outline more and not sure how to do it. Love the office, wish I had one. My kitchen table or couch is where I usually work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice tour. I want a book closet too! I can't believe how clean you keep your desk. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great space! I also can't believe how clean you keep your desk. Maybe if I had a separate room to work in I could keep a clean desk, but then we'd need a bigger house.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cool! Wish I had a room to myself, but the kids would probably trash it anyway. Thanks for sharing your writing space. And I'm a little bit intimidated by the corkboard and all the books you had stashed in your closet. Wowza! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Office space is important. I share a room with a view with wifey. Sometimes though I prefer to sit n the couch with a laptop and that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I dream of having an office.

    Right now, I write at a tiny desk looking out the bedroom window. It's cramped and I barely have room to think, but that's okay.

    I love your office!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have my own office too :) Not nearly as nice, but the privacy is fun. They can't catch me when I'm procrastinating with a game instead of writing, hehehe.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stopping by to say hello! Great office space. Mine is not as big or as nice as yours, but hoping to someday have a whole room that is just mine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. i love your spaces---and your sister made those goblets--what a talented family--new follower--hi there!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your office! Right now my 'office' is a dining table and an iPad :P

    Jamie
    Fellow A-Z Buddy
    Doing a monumental blog catch-up
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  33. "I do 15 minutes of real work a week."

    It's important to have a dedicated space; I started working from home a couple days a week (which is fantastic) but I needed to clear a space dedicated for work rather than my usual routine of laptop on lap on the couch. Mine is a combo guest room. Someday I'd like a bigger place with an actual office I can hang up my nerdy X Files and Star Wars posters. I suppose I could do that now but I'm trying to establish some sophistication in my decor.

    :) Loving all your A to Z posts!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well now I'm green with envy. If I were to upload a picture of my workspace, it would look a whole lot like a bed and/or a couch with a lunch tray.

    I need an office all my own *pouty face*

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your office, but actually you may have an office, without actually having one.., you know what I mean? :)

    I am actually talking about a virtual office! A virtual office provides instant offices that are fully serviced to run your business professionally without the costs of a full-time physical office space.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank You

    The given information is very effective
    i will keep updated with the same

    space for rent

    ReplyDelete
  37. You’re a writer? That’s so cool! Your desk really looks so cool, and the things you need most can be easily reached. That's also one good way to maintain your desk, and helps you keep your items in its proper place. I also love the idea of turning your closet into book storage! It's a great way to keep your things there, especially if it's spacious. I also do that since I don't have many clothes in my closet. Haha!

    ReplyDelete