Monday, April 16, 2012

Novels, New Girl and Noooooooo!

It's going to be 80 degrees today in the Mount Washington valley and my hammock is calling my name so let's get right to it, shall we?

Novels

Night Sky by Jolene Perry

Jolene is probably the most prolific writer I know (makes me look like a sloth. Of course, George R.R. Martin also makes me look like a sloth. A really slow sloth. One so slow that other sloths are all, "WTF, sloth girl? Why so slow?") and Night Sky is her second novel (the third I believe is coming out next month). I read this book in March but as the A to Z Challenge kind of shoved my March book review out of the blog line up, I wanted to make sure I mentioned this book. I read a lot of bad books in March but this wasn't one of them and deserves some special attention. Here's what I had to say about it:

Jameson is a great character and I thoroughly enjoyed his narrative. And while I knew how the Sarah corner of the triangle was going to resolve itself, I didn’t know that about Sky’s corner and I liked that I couldn’t see it coming. I also liked how when it came down to a choice between reading the next chapter of this book or watching the next episode of Game of Thrones, I picked the book. Pause for shock and awe. It also made me want to pay Las Vegas another visit, something for which The Man will be forever grateful.

Nether Bound by Bonnie Rae Louwerens

This is Bonnie Rae's first book and was released last week. It's YA paranormal novel with a pretty kick ass novel and premise. I haven't read it yet but you can buy it for your Kindle on Amazon. For more information, including a synopsis of the novel, you can head out to Bonnie Rae's blog or her webpage. Congratulations, Bonnie Rae!

New Girl

I'm referring to the Fox sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel (you know, in case the picture on the left didn't make that perfectly clear.). I didn't like it when it first started. I watched the pilot episode and thought, "really?" And then, I didn't watch after that. Until the Thanksgiving episode aired. Now, please don't ask me why we tuned in to the Thanksgiving episode. I probably couldn't find the remote or whatever but I am so very glad I did tune in because it was truly a hysterical experience. The part that really got me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe was the moment where Jess pulled Nick into the hallway to tell him to be nice to her date, Paul (guest star Justin Long) because she really, really liked him and yes, wanted to have sex with him. Here's her monologue from that scene:

"I do! I want to, I want to have sex with him big time! I want to take him down to Chinatown and slice him off a piece of this pumpkin pie, OK? I want to do all the things you do in a bedroom with him, OK? I want to do it standing up and sitting down and half-up and half-down and the wiggly one and the bear attack and the claws in the head and the one the figure skaters do and the What’s For Lunch and the Give Me That Hat. Let’s just say, I’m good. I’m really really good and I don’t care what you think!"

It's made all the more hilarious when you learn that everyone (including Paul) can hear them through the door. It probably is less funny just reading about it in this blog. I looked for a clip but couldn't find one. Sorry. Oh, and the latest episodes, Fancyman (parts 1 and 2) made me laugh so long and loud, we actually had to rewind the episode to watch again because The Man couldn't hear over my hysteria.

I'm running out of time so let's just move on to today's final item entitled

Nooooooooooo!

As you know, I am a devoted Red Sox fan and within that team, I am a devoted worshiper of Jacoby Ellsbury because he is so damn adorable an amazing ball player. Well, during the Sox's season home opener, my boy injured his shoulder while sliding into second base. He's been since moved to the DL with a shoulder injury.

This makes me very, very sad.

Let the water works begin.

But, if there is a bright side to be found, at least we've won three games against the Tampa Bay Rays. This makes us tied with the Rays. For last place in the AL East. Still, at least we're not losing anymore, right?

29 comments:

  1. Ahh, Night Sky is a fabulous book! Jolene Perry made me want to read YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The irony re the Red Sox and the Rays is that former Ray, K Shoppach, is doing awesome on your team. How? Why? Oh, well. It's still early in the season... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Night Sky! Love it, love it!

    Sorry about your boy. Ahh, but maybe it won't be too long and you can watch him (play) again. Ha! Braves fan here. *eyes MJ* :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your favorite player. I'm sure they will be out of the cellar soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to hear recommendations on good reads - so I'll be looking out for them. I'm so sorry about your beloved Jacoby...(ahem)...I don't know who he is! Please don't kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the second person to feature New Girl. :) (I just came from another blog that had New Girl in it, too.) I'm guessing it's an absolute must-see? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Zooey Deschanel, but haven't really seen New Girl. I've heard mixed reviews on it, that it has its moments but overall is just okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Girl is hilarious. I thought it was kind of stupid at first, but now its totally got me. Great show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 80 degrees? Does that ever sound nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. trekking your blog!!! nice.. i'll gonna check these out! thanks! :-)

    cheers!
    ..TREK..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only seen the previews of New Girl, which were pretty funny to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't seen New Girl. :(

    I'm featuring Bonnie on my blog on Wednesday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go Rays! (had to say that since I live in Tampa) But I <3 Zooey! I love everything she does, so I'll have to see this show... seen the ads, but just don't watch TV.
    Haven't heard of these books... must check them out. And yes, we all need to get a Vegas fix now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great N books! And while I like Zooey Deschanell, I haven't seen New Girl. I am so skeptical about comedies... so often disappointed. (I like a big variety, but I don't have any tolerance for comedy if it's based on somebody being an idiot, and that ALWAYS seems to be the case.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Night Sky has the most beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wrote about New Girl today, too! That show definitely got funnier around episodes 3 and 4. It had to ramp up a bit. The best thing for New Girl has been to not focus entirely on Zooey's Jess. The guys are just as much a part of the story and do not feel like sidekicks to Jess, they're all equally featured as time goes on. It's really a funny show, although I'm sure it's not for everyone. Like, I heard Cougartown was hilarious and fantastic and all those things and I tried to like it but ... I laughed maybe once. And half the actors have Botox faces which I find very distracting.

    I'm interested in your book review - another one to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. George R.R. Martin is not fast. He's slow as shit. He took nearly ten years to write "A Dance With Dragons".

    ReplyDelete
  18. George R.R. Martin may make you look like a sloth, but you make me look like a sloth. True story.

    And here's another one: You spoke too soon. 1-0 Rays, and we're back in last place. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore Zooey Deschanel and I've loved New Girl from the beginning. It had an awkward start, sure, but it cracks me up every single week. And that Thanksgiving episode and Fancypants Part 1 are my two favorites so far.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got in the car that day, turned on the ball game, drove 3 blocks down the street, and just before I stopped to buy the shortstop fell on Jacoby. I'm pretty sure my "noooooo" could be heard several miles down Lisbon St. And I feel a sense of responsibility; as if it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't turned on the radio just then.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hate to tell you this but I'm a Rays Fan. Florida girl, too. THere were too many years this team had bad luck. Now they're doing good.

    But I still love your blog motiff with words.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE The New Girl! I felt the same way about the pilot, but all the episodes since then have been awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't read Jolene Perry. I think being tied for last place is still losing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. More interesting books - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I so love NEW GIRL! I'm so glad you do too... I shared it once on my Facebook, and half of my friends were all "Oh, that show sucks." So I TP'd their houses.

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really need to check out New Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was so sad he got injured!! I got tickets to Monday's game and he wasn't there :(

    I finally just bought Jolene's first novel, only to find out she has another one out and a third one on the way. She's popping them out faster than Angelina can collect children - that's impressive.

    As for the New Girl quote, be honest, did you just copy and paste from my post? Haha <3 Love it

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fine way of telling, and pleasant paragraph to get data concerning my presentation
    subject matter, which i am going to present in college.
    Also visit my blog :: storage

    ReplyDelete