Saturday, April 14, 2012

Movie Magic

Well, we all know by now that I am television obsessed but as it turns out, I am also film obsessed (oh wait...you knew that too? Well, just act surprised, all right?). So today we're making this post short and sweet (well, maybe not so short) by revealing my current list of all time favorite movies. I have to say 'current' because I have not yet seen every movie ever made and so the list is an ever evolving entity.


1. Serenity (2005, Written and Directed by Joss Whedon)- C'mon. Did you really think the Big Damn Movie wouldn't be #1? Favorite scene: River's bar fight. Favorite line: Mal: "I aim to misbehave."

2. The Shawshank Redemption (1994, Written and Directed by Frank Darabont, based on the short story by Stephen King)- Just really gorgeous storytelling from beginning to end. Favorite scene: Red plays the harmonica (the symbolism that can be found in that tiny snippet just makes my head explode with giddyness). Favorite line(s): Red: "I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope."

3. Shakespeare In Love (1998, Written by Marc Norman and Tom Stoppard, Directed by John Madden)- William Shakespeare meets his muse and writes Romeo & Juliet. Delightfully witty and besides, it stars Joseph Fiennes. Need I say more? Favorite scene: There's a scene where an inspired Will writes pages and pages and pages and, as a writer, I love it, but I'm going with the moment he convinced Ned Allyn to perform the part of Mercutio by telling him that the play is actually called "Mercutio." Favorite line: Henslow: "No, no, we haven't the time. Talk prose."

4. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001, 2002, 2003, Written by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens, based on the novels by J.R.R. Tolkien. Directed by Peter Jackson)- Yeah, I know. I'm totally cheating by including all three of these films into one spot on this list but it's damn near impossible to watch one without watching the other two so I'm doing it. Favorite scene: I gotta go with the scene at the end of the trilogy where everyone in Gondor where Aragorn's all, "My friends, you bow to no man" and everyone bows down to the hobbits. Favorite line: Pippin: "Where are we going?"

As a bonus, I'm going to include this clip of Gollum accepting an MTV movie award for Best Virtual Performance. It's hysterical.



5. Amadeus (1984, Written by Peter Shaffer. Directed by Milos Forman)- This movie tells the story of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart through the eyes of his jealous rival, court composer Salierai. It's frakking amazing. Favorite Scene: Toward the end, when Salierai helps a dying Mozart write the La Crimosa. It's a perfect example of how music can take a scene to a completely new level. Favorite line: Every time Tom Hulce (who played Mozart) giggles and/or laughs. If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about.

6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975, written by the Monty Python guys. Directed by Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones)- King Arthur and the knights of the round table go on a quest to find the holy grail. Hilarity ensues. I created a lesson plan with the sole purpose of showing this movie in my class. It was a good lesson plan too. Favorite scene: Damn it, I can't pick a favorite scene. Maybe the part with the Black Knight. Favorite line: Black Knight: "It's only a flesh wound!"

7. Dead Poets Society (1989, Written by Tom Schulman. Directed by Peter Weir)- An English teacher inspires his students to love literature and to think for themselves and challenge society. It all goes horribly wrong but, of course, but it's a damn impressive film. I liked showing this one in school too. Favorite scene: The O Captain My Captain part at the end where Ethan Hawke stands on his desk. Frakking Awe. Some. Favorite line: Keating: "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."

8. Moulin Rouge! (2001, Written by Baz Lurhman and Craig Pearce. Directed by Baz Lurhman)- My love for the movie really kicked in at about the forty five minute mark. Before that, it was this strange spectacle I didn't know quite what to make of, but after that mark (shortly following the bizarre rendition of "Like A Virgin"), I fell in love with this movie. Favorite Scene: The Roxanne number. Favorite line: Another movie where I don't really have a favorite line.

9. Singing In The Rain (1952, Written by Adolph Green and Betty Comden. Directed by Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly)- Hilarious and awesome. Filled with one liner after another. Plus, there's all that iconic singing and dancing. I was going to post a clip of some of this iconic singing and dancing (specifically Donald O'Conner performing "Make 'Em Laugh") but I'm having a hell of a time finding a YouTube video that offers embedding. If you're at all interested in movie musicals, you should definitely check this one out. But if you're into movie musicals, there's a good chance you already have.

10. The Lion King (1994, Apparently written by 29 people whose name I'm not going to list here and directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff)- I love Disney movies. Well, most Disney movies but The Lion King has got to be at the top of that list. It makes you sing, it makes you laugh and then it makes you freaking cry. It just so happens that I like that in a movie. Favorite scene: Sure, the immediate aftermath makes you cry but that wildebeest stampede is pretty frickin' awesome animation. Favorite line: The hyenas: "No king, no king! Lalalalalala!" (It's the delivery.)

33 comments:

  1. I just watched Serenity (and the entire series Firefly) last weekend. It was great! I now join the hoards that are pissed off because it was cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mmshaunakelly- Yay! I mean, not that you're pissed off but that you're now a Firefly fan. The Browncoats welcome you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Movie-Love posts! You've got some of my favorites listed. But I don't have time to tell you which ones since I'm trying to visit as many blogs before 10 am.

    You have a Happy Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've seen 6 out of 10. Not bad.
    Serenity is, of course, a fantastic film. I hate that Mr. Whedon killed off 2 main characters but I guess we have to thank our lucky stars that he didn't kill off more!
    Great list!
    HMG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting the YouTube video. I had never seen that before. It is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, good list. I've seen all of those, except Serenity. And, by strange coincidence (do not hold this against me), I just watched the first episode of Firefly for the first time last night. I finally know what everyone is talking about. Yes, I'm incredibly lame sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such great choices! I love that Pippin line too... and "guess he doesn't know about 2nd breakfast." and Yep i fell in love with Ewan McGregor's character in Moulin Rouge. Le sigh. Never seen Serenity... have tocheck it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Dead Poets Society too, but it seems to be off most people's radar. It makes me cry every single time I watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We like the same movies! I've seen them all - except the Lion King. Oh the music in Shawshanks - Michael Newman? Must look him up again. That video of Gollum is absolutely amazing, isn't it? Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great movie choices! Man, I didn't know The Lion King was written by so many people. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moulin Rouge! I haven't seen that in a very long time, but I still play the soundtrack quite often! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not seen Serenity, but have seen some of the others you mentioned (LoTR, Moulin Rouge, Shawshank Redemption--which is awesome, Shakespeare in Love, and the Lion King).

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moulin Rouge and the Roxanne number, one of my absolute favorites. Quite a few others also. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Lord of the Rings and Serenity. That really IS movie magic of the very best kind. Words do not describe how amazing they are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everybody loves Serenity. I do. And Monty Python and the Holy Grail...hilarious. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love you for put Serenity at number one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Serenity and LOTR are in my top ten! And Monty Python - you have a great sense of humor, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  18. those are all stupendous movies! seen em all, quote from several!

    "bring out ya dead!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anyone who has Serenity at the top of their list, is AUTOMATICALLY a friend of mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never seen Serenity - must check it out. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've got some really great movies on here. The clip of Gollum was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shawshank Redemption, Monty Python and the Lion King are definitely super movies! I've also been hearting all the Pixar animated films, especially Finding Nemo, Toy Story, and Up.

    Hello from a new follower!

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some great picks. I wish I had time to comment on each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We have a lot of same movie tastes- which means you obviously have great taste!!!!
    It's easier to say which we don't agree on... Singing in the rain, but that's only because I don't recall seeing it! Great M blog.
    Leigh
    http://www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com
    A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so with you on THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (and not just because of the name of my blog!) I think it's one of King's best novellas and one of the best movies based on his work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. #1, 4, 8 and 10 are favorites to be sure! They're such great sources of inspiration, too. The song during the Lion King aftermath...ooh, chills!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Interesting list. Not all are favorites of mine, but I have seen all of them. Yep, all. Most more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Crazy! I've seen most of these (And I haven't seen many movies :) haha)

    I haven't seen your #1 though. Add that to my list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG, the Gollum acceptance spech just about had me wetting myself.

    Andy Serkis cleans up pretty good, who knew?

    have not yet seen Serenity, but love Shawshank, Shakespeare in Love, LOTR, Amadeus, Holy Grail, DPS, Singing in the Rain, and The Lion King. I'm kinda meh on Moulin Rouge.

    Uh oh. I bet eHarmony would peg us as a perfect couple.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed Serenity, but didn't like how some of the dynamics of the cast felt off. And what happened to my Book and Wash was just not right!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I pretty much love every single one of these movies. Except Amadeus, which I've never actually seen.

    I know, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm with you on these. Mostly. Which is to say, while only the top two might make it onto my personal top 10,I'm fond of 9 of them. With the last one -- your #3 -- I found myself disappointed (though I do like the "talk prose line). I don't know, maybe I was just in the wrong mood that day.

    ReplyDelete