Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I, I, I


Yeah. That title's my very clever way of saying I don't have a very clever title. I don't even have a very clever post. In my A to Z Challenge calendar (yes, I created an actual calendar for the event. My one stab at planning ahead), "I" is a big ole blank. So is the end of the alphabet but that's a problem for another time.

I have a post so I suppose that's something. I actually had to look at last year's post because I couldn't remember what I came up with (It was Influential Authors).

Here's what I came up with ten minutes ago this year:

Isabel Spellman

Isabel Spellman is the main character of a series written by Lisa Lutz. Isabel is a PI in her parents' private investigation firm. She's been living the PI life ever since she was born so it's pretty much all she knows. She's smart as well as a smart ass and occasionally screws things up big time. She has no luck with members of the opposite sex, sometimes drinks too much and prefers climbing through windows rather than using the front door. Her family makes even the most dysfunctional families seem much more normal and I can't get enough of these books. There are five books in the series so far. The picture on the right is the fourth book in the series. I picked it because it's my favorite of all five. There's hilarity, there's sadness, there's some absolutely just moving moments, plus one moment that made me hoot and holler and jump up and down with excitement. The one drawback is that Isabel still refuses to reveal the name of the San Fran bakery that makes the awesome chocolate croissants. Uncool. But what is cool is that I never would have known about the awesomeness of Isabel (well, maybe not never) if a group of my fellow bloggers hadn't brought her to my attention. Thanks!

Iron And Wine

I'm afraid that Iron and Wine (aka Samuel Beam) might be best known for having a song ("Flightless Bird, American Mouth") on the Twilight movie soundtrack. It's the song that Bella and Edward dance to at the prom. The song makes another appearance in Breaking Dawn, Part One (at the wedding). I don't know if that's true or not. I hope it isn't because this singer/songwriter is rather amazing. I mean, not that is isn't good that he got this exposure. Maybe Twilight netted him a whole bunch of new fans who went out and bought every single album he's produced. I hope that's true. Anyway, I'm rambling so here's one of my favorites, Woman King (from the album of the same name):





Indifference


This song by Pearl Jam appears on the album Vs.. It's long been one of my favorites and another one of those songs that appears on the official unofficial soundtracks I create for my books.

17 comments:

  1. Great tracks, and I like the sound of the Spellman novel. Isn't is awesome when you discover new things through the bloggy-sphere? :)


    Jamie
    Fellow A-Z Bloggy Buddy
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tracks! I particularly love Pearl Jam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Pearl Jam track. I also liked the Iron and Wine-- although I would not have recognized it from Twilight because I haven't seen it. Great post-- I think your "I" post turned out rather well!!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Iron and Wine. They're like Muse...getting a bad rap because of those Twilight movies. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Iron & Wine fan here! The Pandora station I created for myself with them is just amazing. I&W is my happy place!

    Just my opinion, but I think the Twilight fans only like that one song...went to a concert and there were definite groups of folks who only knew one song and once it played they left. The rest of us stuck around for the whole show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Iron and Wine...their name is very appealing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, the Spellman novels sound good.

    And yeah, I know Iron and Wine by hearing the song from Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, I'm having trouble with the end of the alphabet posts, too. But we've got time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought your post title was you doing an impression of Axl Rose. You did well for pulling the post out of your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it was an impression of Ozzy Osbourne!
    Sorry, Rusty's comment prompted that reply.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of Isabel Spellman but enjoyed your lively description.

    Good luck with the rest of the alphabet (you did right by "i"), and thanks for dropping by.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did really good for a last minute plan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet. Always go with music when you're drawing a blank :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I. I. I. I'm not even sure I got as far as I last year. I might have. Hard to say. The point is, you are tackling this and you should feel good about it.
    How is Haleine?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm also having trouble with some of the letters at the end, so I'll have to get to the library soon. Have an awesome day!

    Susanne
    PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll have to check out Isabel. Love Iron & wine regardless of Twilight. Pearl Jam - OK.

    ReplyDelete