Monday, April 9, 2012

Horribly Happy Hodgepodge

Good morning, world, and welcome back to the A to Z Challenge as it moves into its second week. I hope everyone had a lovely holiday weekend and that no one's sugar hangover is too terribly great. I had a surprisingly lack of sugar intake going on yesterday so I am more than ready to share with you another list of my favorite H things.

Here we go...


Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog

Yep. I wrote about it last year and I even mentioned it last week when I talked about Captain Hammer. And chances are it'll come up again on Wednesday when I talk about the person I am most likely to one day stalk (unless there are like, law enforcement type people reading this. Then I won't stalk anyone. Ever. Promise.).

Dr. Horrible, played by the impossibly adorable Neil Patrick Harris, is just a evil genius trying to take over the world. "The world's a mess," he says, "and I just need to rule it." He also would like to gain the affection of his laundry buddy (that's right. The evil genius has to go the laundromat), Penny, a do-gooder who's just trying to help the homeless. Standing in his way of achieving both these goals is Captain Hammer, Corporate Tool. I talked about him last Thursday. The humor is fantastic and the songs are super. And I really wish there was more Dr. Horrible to be had.

Because the bottom line is, Dr. Horrible makes me incredibly happy. Whenever I'm having a crappy day, all I have to do is pop in my DVD and voila! My mood has been presto changed-o into something far more cheery. I even downloaded a copy from iTunes to put on my iPod so I could watch it at The Store. I'm pretty sure most of the staff can now sing along with Dr. Horrible. All I can say to that is... co-workers, you're welcome.

Happy Endings

I was introduced to this sitcom found on ABC last year by my brother and sister-in-law. It didn't take long for me to fall head over heels in love with it. I find it to be so damn funny. Sure, not every joke lands but that holds true for every sitcom out there. I have a habit of scribbling down lines that makes me laugh in my notebook and lately most of those scribbles are courtesy of the Happy Endings writing team.

And the best part is, it's one of those rare shows that both The Man and I enjoy so it's something we can watch together. Awww, sweet, right? Right.

Next up...

Halestorm

Halestorm is a rock band out of Pennsylvania. They currently have one album, "Halestorm", out with a second to be released tomorrow, actually. Good for them. Again, I was introduced to this group by my brother and sister-in-law who apparently know exactly what I will like. They saw this band in concert a while back and heard the song below. My sister-in-law looked at my brother then and said, "we have to get this CD for M.J." So thanks for that because I do love this song... and the entire album for that matter.





Heavy In Your Arms

Last but not least is this song by Florence + The Machine. The first time I heard it, I feel deeply in love with it and it remains to this day at the very top of my favorite songs of all time list. This is a hard feat because I am forever searching out new music and no song has held on to the #1 spot as long as this one has. I think probably because it's so damn gorgeous but also because it's such a perfect song for the love stories in my fantasy series. Spoiler Alert: I don't do happy endings. Often.


30 comments:

  1. Happy Endings is brilliant! I love Zachary Knighton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, that is rare when you can find a show you both like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Horrible.
    Need we say more?

    Not familiar with this sitcom. I'm going to have to check it out.

    Great H!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Flo+Ma. Her music speaks to my psyche. And I love Dr. Horrible, because he's the best bad villain around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neil Patrick Harris is amazing. How have I not seen Dr. Horrible?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Florence and the Machine - especially this song! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aside from Neil Patrick Harris, I haven't heard of the two bands or that Happy Endings TV show...at least, I don't think I have, lol.

    I like the music video for Florence and the Machine's "Heavy in your Arms" song :) It has a dark flavor to it...which is something that I wouldn't expect for a love song.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not familiar with any of these. I need a happy show that always work to cheer me up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I've not seen Dr. Horrible yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr. Horrible. Is this a movie? I'll have to check Netflix.

    No commercial TV.

    Ah Flo and 'Heavy in Your Arms' one of my favorites. and Halestrom song is incredible. I love the'film noir' type video for each song. Great H, MJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel confident in saying that if I saw Flo live my life would be changed forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are some great Hs! And yes, NPH is adorable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hooray for happy endings!! Those are the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, man. You just made me really, really wish I had TV. Must check hulu listings . . .

    Also - I have your last song on more than one playlist... love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that line from Dr. Horrible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE Dr. Horrible. He is oh so terrific, and Neil Patrick Harris is sooo wonderful. Also LOVE Florence and the Machine. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've not watched Happy Endings, but really enjoy Florence +The Machine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everyone keeps talking about how wonderful Dr. Horrible is! Guess I'm going to have to watch it :)

    ~Lynn
    http://www.acommonsea.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. An eclectic mix of entertainment! I loved Happy Endings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe this will encourage me to expand my Florence Faves!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Dr. Horrible! I'll to check out Happy Endings. Great music!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bwahaha - Dr. Horrible! ;) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Halestorm! I'm glad you included them. I saw them at a small outside club show in South Dakota...amazing! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/ (Visiting from the A to Z Challenge)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Dr. Horrible! It's a shame that a second season looks to be a long way away :(


    Jamie
    Fellow A-Z Bloggy Buddy
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  25. So this is what you need to do since you sing and stuff... record yourself singing the Dr Horrible songs so that we can all hear them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, Doctor Horrible <3

    And Happy Endings is my latest addiction. I can relate a little too well with Penny though :/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am in love with Dr. Horrible. If Joss Whedon doesn't deliver on that sequel soon, I'm leading a riot!

    And Happy Endings is hilarious! It's one of those shows that is so easy to miss, and I think it really is for a very niche audience. I'm glad I'm in that audience.

    ReplyDelete