Friday, April 6, 2012

Firefly


Last night on a mildly entertaining episode of The Big Bang Theory (Sorry, apart from the very beginning and the very end, it wasn't really that special), we learned that Sheldon Cooper had only begged three times in his life. The first time was to beg Fox NOT to cancel Firefly. If I didn't already love Sheldon Cooper, I would have loved him in that moment because if there ever was a show that shouldn't have been cancelled, it's Firefly.

And yeah, I know, you're probably saying to yourself, "Hey, didn't you blog about Firefly this time last year? And you know, every other damn day you could work it into a post?" And the answer is Yes. Yes, I did. Because I am obsessed with this show. All right, fine, I am more than obsessed with this show. Because it is awesome. Which means that yes, on F Day next year in the A to Z Challenge, I'll talk about it again. Because it's that awesome.

And possibly because my interests are that narrow. But did I mention how awesome it is?

So anyway, last year, I posted my top five episodes so this year I thought I might post three more.

1. Shindig. Written by Joss Whedon and Jane Espenson. Mal and Kaylee attend a planet's social event of the year in order to secure work. While there, they run into Inara and her client, Atherton Wing. Hijinks ensue and it ends with a sword fight. Awe. Some.

Highlights:

Wash: You want a slinky dress? I can buy you a slinky dress. Captain, can I have money for a slinky dress?

Kaylee calling Mal "Captain Tightpants" and later being the center of attention at the ball, talking engines with all the guys

River's dressing down of Badger and the group's open mouthed reaction to said dressing down.

Mal: 'Kay, help me find our man. He's supposed to be older, kind of stocky, wears a red sash crossways.
Kaylee: Why does he do that?
Mal: Maybe he won the Miss Persephone pageant. Just help me look.
Kaylee: Is that him?
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

Mal: You know, they say mercy is the mark of a great man.
[stabs Atherton]
Mal: Guess I'm just a good man.
[stabs him again]
Mal: Well, I'm all right.

2. Safe. Written by Drew Greenberg

The episode following "Shindig" in which Shepherd Book is shot when a deal goes sour while River and Simon are kidnapped by hillfolk who just happen to need a doctor. And some perspective. After all, they do try to burn River at the stake for being a witch. She's not a witch. She's just a crazy psychic who has the ability to kill you with her pinky. Get with the times, hillfolk.

Highlights:

Mal: Looks like we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

and this video:




3. Ariel. Written by Jose Molina

Simon hires the crew to help him break into the diagnostic lab in a central planet's hospital so he can figure out what the Alliance did to River. Jayne makes a plan to turn the fugitives in. As always, chaos ensues.

Highlights:

The scene were Mal, Zoe and Jayne are trying to learn their paramedic lines. Hysterical. I looked for a video of this scene but there isn't one. Sad.

This scene (one of my favorite in the entire frakking series) that taught us that you do not frak with Captain Tightpants:






What are you favorite Firefly moments? Please tell me! I can't wait to find out!

30 comments:

  1. I love Firefly as well, but I haven't seen it in a while. Your post is reminding me how long of a while that's been. Too long, if you ask my DVD player tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the third Firefly post I've read - great minds thinking alike. You and Sheldon are both right, it really shouldn't have been cancelled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this show! LOVE this show! LOVE this show!

    My favorite episode is Out of Gas.

    When Mal is angry, those are some of the best moments. I don't think I'd ever want him to be mad at me.

    Great post!
    Now I need to go watch one!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't ever seen Firefly, but I don't watch much TV anymore. Seems like every time a show comes on that I do like and start watching, they take it off.


    Lee
    A Few Words
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firefly was the best show ever cancelled. I have no idea what happened there. At least Serenity gave some closure, but not for those of us who wanted MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firefly still makes my heart hurt. Well, not them per se, but the damn suits that cancelled them.

    My favorite Firefly moment was the first time I sat down to watch the show. I couldn't believe how good it was. It made all my other beloved shows seem so much lesser in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen this in a long time. It was a super fantastic show. Blasted Fox! Why did they cancel it? Everyone loved it. Great post. *waving*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Firefly set as my next show to watch on Netflix now that I'm done with Doctor Who. I am a reverse order fan. I am as obsessed with Chuck as you are with Firefly. Adam Baldwin is in Chuck and most Chuck fans were Firefly fans so I figure I will love it too. Can't wait for your next F post. Next year if I do AtoZ you will know what I will do for C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gozer The DestructorApril 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

    My list is almost exactly the same, just with Ariel at the top. My favorite line from Shindig is vaudevillian: Gentleman: If you require it, any gentleman here can give you the use of a sword.
    Mal: Use of a swhat?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my daughter has been sick and I ended up missing last night's Big Bang Theory! But oh man oh man, I do I love Firefly as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE FIREFLY! And I love meeting other people who love Firefly :) I think my favourite episode is the one where Saffron makes her second appearance, and Mal ends up naked in the desert. The ones you've listed here are pretty awesome too. Captain Tightpants is one of my favourite lines as well.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  12. M.J.: I hate to disappoint you but I've never seen the show. I always work on Thursday evenings...and Fridays, too.

    But your post was great! You're soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of this show, many times before. But I have no idea what it is about :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I should have used Firefly for F. Durn. I should swear in Chinese but I don't know how to spell the words.
    I love Out of Gas and War Stories. They both show the relationships among the crew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Firefly is one of my favorite series ever. Joss Whedon is a genius! (And I agree with you about last night's Big Bang Theory.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you post about Firefly every year, you're going to run out of episodes to highlight (14, if memory serves).

    Fox totally killed the show. I remember when we first got the DVD and watched the thing in order. The unused pilot. The last few eps out of order. It's like they wanted it to fail.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to confess--so long as you don't throw horrible things at me--I've never watched the show.

    Before you Fry me F Friday, I don't watch very much TV.

    Have a great weekend!

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've recently added this show to my Netflix queue thanks to Joshua at Vive le Nerd :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh, this is the second Firefly post I've seen to day and it's making me realize how much I REALLY need move these up my "must watch immediately" list. :) I'm so excited to get into this show!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Firefly was sooooooooooo good. Damn FOX execs getting it cancelled!


    Jamie
    Fellow A-Z bloggy buddy
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome pick for F haha - I guess great minds really do think alike. For my blog I picked some favorite moments from Firefly too, but one I didn't mention was the Our Mrs. Reynolds episode. Pretty much the whole episode was hilarious.
    P.S. Also love the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon is ranking people by how evil they are and he mentions the president of Fox for cancelling Firefly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh I did love Shindig. Kaylee was so damn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, you love Firefly. You and I can totally be friends now. LOL LOVE LOVE LOVE.

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have not seen this show yet. But I'm thinking I must get them on dVD and start watching.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favorite moments usually involve Kaylee. She has some awesome lines and just rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love SciFi, but I have tried watching this show and I can't see what the appeal is.

    Maybe because I had seen it all before back when it was called "Blake's 7".

    Sorry.

    I am trying to read all the A to Z blogs, but coming back to the ones I really like.
    Looking forward to seeing what you do all month!

    Tim
    The Other Side
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ain't nothing wrong with mentioning the best gorram show in the verse whenever possible. You already know how I feel about this show, so I'll save my gushing...

    ReplyDelete
  28. You could blog about FIREFLY every goram day and I'd be happy. Best show ever.

    I appreciate the Ariel episode a little more each time I watch it.

    ReplyDelete