Thursday, April 5, 2012

Evil Is As Evil Does


Today's post is devoted to some of my favorite villains. In the interest of time, I'm sticking to television and musical blog villains because it's my blog and I can do that if I want to. (Plus, these villains get all the best YouTube clips...)

Villains are awesome. They teach us so much. For example, what not to do with secret agents. If you capture a James Bond type , you're much better off just shooting him in the head rather than dangling him over a pool filled with sharks wearing lasers on their heads.

Because that never ends well. James Bond always gets away.

But mostly what I take away from my villains is this simple life lesson: perseverance. (Because the truth is, I very seldom have to deal with secret agents in any way, shape or form). They teach us to never give up. Some inconsiderate hero comes along and ruins your carefully devised plans? You go ahead and make a new one.

Every single night, Pinky asks the Brain "What are we going to do tonight?" and Brain always answers, "The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."

And every single time, they're unsuccessful but every single outing ends with Pinky saying, "What are we going to do tomorrow night?" And every single time Brain answers, "the same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."

Insert deep well written life lesson here. Blah, blah, blah... don't give up. Never give in! Never surrender! Whatever. Here are some of my other favorite villains:

Skeletor

Yes, from He-Man. The original cartoon series, not the newer ones. He was always the skeleton with a plan and an insult. He never missed an opportunity to try and take over Eternia and call He-Man (0r his own henchmen) names while doing it. Plus, in the He-Man And She-Ra Christmas Special (yes, Virginia, there really is such a thing and it is the most awesome Christmas special ever), he saved a puppy (and, fine, two children) while learning about the meaning of Christmas. And then went right back to trying to take over the world the next day...

Dr. Doofenschmirtz

From Phineas and Ferb. While I find the Phineas and Ferb parts of the story fun, it's really the Dr. Doofenshmirtz and Perry the Platypus portion of each half hour that keep me coming back to this totally delightful (even though I have no children) cartoon. He's a classic mad scientist, an evil genius hiding out in his evil lair (you know, the big skyscraper with his name in giant letters on the side), with his own jingle. (That's really what evil villain needs, you know. A jingle.) Every single episode, he has a new "-inator", for example the "destruct-inator" that he planned to use to destroy everyone's garden gnomes. Then there's my personal favorite the "Turn Everything Evil- Inator" which he hoped to use to well, turn everything evil. Of course it never works but that never prevents Heinz Doofenshmirtz from coming up with another new -Inator.

And Last But Certainly Not Least...

Captain Hammer

(with a special honorable mention to Bad Horse the Thoroughbred of Sin, Fake Thomas Jefferson and the rest of the Evil League of Evil)

From Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. If you don't know what that is, I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. But I tell you what... if you go watch it on YouTube right this moment, I'll forgive you. Probably.

Oh, Captain Hammer. How do I love thee? Yes, I know you're technically the hero of the piece but let's face it. You're a corporate tool. And you also break my villains never say die rule because the last we see you, you're sobbing on your therapist's couch while Dr. Horrible runs rampant over the city. Dammit, Captain Hammer! I can't count on you for anything!!

Except a laugh. In the following clip, he delivers what is really quite possibly the greatest line ever written:




My God, I love Joss Whedon. But that's a post for next week.

Now it's your turn: Who are your favorite villains? Tell me below (even if they come from books...).


26 comments:

  1. Captain Barbossa (from the first Pirates film). I liked Sauron too. Joker, of course (Heath Ledger's, I mean). Hans Gruber from the first Die Hard movie was awesome.

    Great topic. After I hit "publish" to this comment, I'll probably think of a bunch more villains...

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skeletor used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid!

    Another vote for Heath Ledger's Joker here - he was terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skeletor! lol! I grew up watching He-Man. Fave villain is Dracula. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved He-Man growing up. I loved that Skeletor always had to try again. I even had those He-man and Skeletor action figures. OKay, Okay-- My brother had them--but I got to play with them-- they were way cooler than Barbie.

    Favorite Villain-- The Wicked Witch of the West.

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Doofenshmirtz! He gets some of the best songs too.

    Joss Whedon is a genius.

    I loved Dennis Hopper's character in Speed.
    And we can't forget Megatron!

    Great post!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!!!! Heath Ledger's Joker is such a great choice! I'll have to do another villains post featuring those who are scary and not those who make me laugh.

    Thanks for stopping by, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Megamind because he just wants to be loved despite all his evil plans.

    I'll admit, I've never heard of Captain Hammer, but I watched the clip and yes, that is quite a line:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captain Hammer! All I can think of right now is, "I think this what pain feels like! Oh mama! Someone maternal!" *runs away crying*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this was a great post. I heart Joss Whedon too, and Skeletor and Pinky and the Brain were a sweet blast from the past.

    My favourite villian is probably Snidley Whiplash. The original moustache twirler.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great E! I too vote for Heath's Joker~! Joss Whedon...how fun~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love LOVE Captain Hammer (and Dr. Horrible). Best hero/villain team of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great E posting. I think villains are most often the most interesting character. Some of my favorite villains aren't people. For example, the virus in PODs.

    Great post!
    Michelle :)
    www.michelle-pickett.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Villains are definitely fun.

    My favorite is Lord Voldemort, even if he comes from a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neil Patrick Harris is so adorable. I want to take him home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forgive me! I will go watch it right now!! Great and hilarious post!!!
    I am with you on Skeletor!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Bellatrix LaStrange was one heck of a villain. She was so completely, thoroughly, and indisputably evil.

    Vizzini from Princess Bride is also a classic. INCONTHIEVABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you ever see the He-Man Movie? That Skeletor freaked me out as a child something fierce. I saw it again a few years back and laughed. Kinda like I laugh about my terror of the alien baby in V: The Final Battle.


    My E

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for Dr. Horrible!! Captain Hammer is a great villain. One of the first "cool" villains I liked as a kid was Rasputin from the animated Anastasia movie. He was just so fun and creepy! One of the written villains I really admire is Saladin from The Forever King.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Captain hammer is such a douche, I love it!


    Jamie Gibbs
    Fellow A-Z buddy
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe I'm just too pure to love a villain?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Watched the clip - yeah, that's awesome! I love your list, especially Dr. D. We love Phineas and Ferb around my house.

    My other favorite villian is Benjamin Linus from LOST. He never gave up, either, and boy, was he a manipulative but brilliant little man.

    ReplyDelete
  22. aha! AMAZING post! Your cleverness makes me smile. Go villains!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, Captain Hammer. Doctor Horrible will always be the better man.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Neat letter topics! I like Jack's joker. I was a big fan of muttley and dick dastardly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha! These are so great!

    I LOVE Captain Hammer. And that line. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pinky and the Brain FTW!

    All of us, 90′s nerds, should unite, and try to take over the world in the name of Brain. Every night!

    ReplyDelete