Monday, March 5, 2012

What I Did This Weekend

I had an interesting weekend, filled with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. I have to apologize to a few people (you know who you are) for that lowest of lows part— I hope I didn't get too much of my crazy on you. But if I did, put a little club soda on it. That should help...

But anyway, let's move on. Here's what I did over the weekend:

1. A lot of sitting. Friday night/Saturday morning, a system of snow, sleet and ice moved through the valley and knocked out the power so The Man and I were left sitting on the couch staring at each other all day. Got very boring (Can anyone out there Name! That! Reference! I'll be so proud if you do). No electricity, no internet, no nothing. Man, I couldn't even do the laundry. It was almost more than a pair of internet junkies like us could take. Fortunately, the power returned before we were forced into a "Lord of the Flies" scenario.

2. Watched the movie 50/50. Have you seen this movie? If you have, how awesome was it and how mad are you that the stupid Academy didn't nominate it for best freaking picture of the year? If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it.

3. Watched Captain America: The First Avenger. It was all right. I'm really only watching all these superhero movies because of Joss Whedon so don't throw rotten vegetables at me for being ho hum on this. I did enjoy Tommy Lee Jones. Especially his line "if you have something to say, now's a perfect time to keep it to yourself." I promptly tweeted it.

4. Won The Legend of Zelda. This is (probably sadly) the highest of my highs this weekend. This is a nintendo game first released in 1987. I've been trying to win since then. I mean, not like constantly or anything— I'm not quite that pathetic— but yeah, it's been on my list of life goals for a very long time now. And yesterday afternoon, I finally got to cross it off. Of course, now there's some sort of second quest but it'll keep.

5. I almost accomplished the goals I set last Monday. They included finding the kitchen counter (done), giving Big a daily belly rub (done), completing three thirty minute work outs (done), and completing three new scenes for Effigy (not as done as I had hoped). So, three out of four isn't bad. If it was a pop quiz, it would be a passing score. It's those new scenes. I finished two of them. I almost finished the third. It has a beginning and an end. It just doesn't have a middle yet. Or a whole lot of focus but I'm working on it. I've also decided that I need to write yet another new scene. I do believe this is what we call the snowball effect. I do believe I am moving in the wrong direction.

So here's my new list of goals for the week:

1. Complete three thirty minute work outs.

2. Complete two new scenes for Effigy.

3. Stop deciding that Effigy needs new scenes.

That's gonna do it for me today... how was your weekend and what's on your to-do list for this week?

18 comments:

  1. You succeeded in giving me a laugh this morning! Glad you and your husband didn't turn on one another. And you finished The Legend of Zelda - now that's persistence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally jealous that you won the legend of zelda.
    It was one of the games that my brother and I used to play together after our snowmachine rides. happy memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Captain America. I knew the ending would be a cliff-hanger, but come on, he should have gotten the girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LITTLE MERMAID!!!!!

    (I think. After sitting here going "I know that. Where do I know that?" for five straight minutes.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely agree about 50/50! One of the best films I've seen in ages, so deserved a lot more recognition than it got this awards season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's from The Little Mermaid. LOVE THAT MOVIE.

    Also, haven't seen 50/50 yet but plan to and LOVED Captain America. I think because I was mostly surprised I didn't hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't heard of 50/50 and now i feel stupid. :P

    And there's nothing worse than the power going out when you've got a serious internet addiction. I'm so glad you and the man are still in one piece. You know that will be the downfall of man after the apocalypse, right? We'll all go nuts without our Yahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Alex- Persistence sounds so much nicer than Pathetic so thanks for that...

    @Jolene- My siblings and I played it too

    @Emily- I heard about the being frozen thing so I was mostly curious how that came to be. I hear he might get the granddaughter of the girl in The Avengers.

    @Jo- You are correct. Thanks for playing!

    @Becky- I agree that it's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time too. So, so good.

    @Karen- I didn't hate Captain America either. It made me laugh (which is always important) and I was interested in how they filmed the skinny steve scenes.

    @L.G.- Definitely check out 50/50. I'm laughing at the idea of an apocalypse without Twitter. But that's only to mask the tears inside...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't seen either movie, but I'm on a superhero movie kick, so I'm sure I'll get around to it. (50/50 will have to be on when I'm in the right mood for it, but I've heard good things.)

    It got warm this weekend for us. Now it's supposed to cool off again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Liz- we're supposed to be getting some warm weather Wednesday and Thursday. I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That going without power, especially when it's cold is no fun. Good job on the workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay. Little Mermaid, gotta put 50/50 on my to be seen list and I was pretty ho hum on Captain America as well.

    Though I loved Chris Evans in The Losers. (LOVE that movie. So many good lines even though Zoe Saldana looked like she could be snapped like a dried up old chicken bone instead of kicking any ass. But I digress.)

    And I laughed at your third goal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just watched a Starburst commercial with a dog hanging his butt out a car window,wagging his tale. I lost what I was going to write back to you because of it.Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh... I loved Cap.
    Really, I loved it.

    I hope you let us know when you quit letting us know, because I'm still only getting the notifications from the old site.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your goals! And I love Zelda. And Tommy Lee Jones. Seriously. He's one of my favorite actors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. #4---that is all!!! Zelda!

    You didn't really need to post anything else. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved 50/50, though i feel compelled to share that the Seattle scenery was not at all authentic. The whole time I was like, "Where is THAT in Seattle?" and the BF was like, "That's not Seattle. That's the Seattle sound stage in LA." But other than that, I loved it. Sounds like you had an awesome day despite being stuck inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. And on't forget the belly rubs! They just cheer everyone up. I like the weekly goal idea, it's easier to tackle the bite-sized aspirations.

    ReplyDelete