Monday, March 26, 2012

Tagged! I'm It!


I know you've been seeing this Meme all over the blogosphere and now it's made it's way here to My Pet Blog. Murees Dupé over at the Daily Drama of An Aspiring Writer (drama? I know nothing about drama...) was kind enough to tag me and provide me with an idea for my post today. Hooray!

If you're unfamiliar with the meme, here are the rules:

1. Go to page 77 of your current MS (manuscript).

2. Go to line 7.

3. Copy the next 7 lines/paragraphs and post them as they're written.

4. Tag 7 other authors.

My current MS is, of course, Effigy because I have done nothing else with my life (and perhaps never will). The scene currently found on page 77 (I have to say currently because it'll change just as soon as I get my act together on those damn rewrites...so again, probably never.) is one where the MC, Haleine, accuses her husband, Maddox, of murder. Ah, good times. Anyway, here's the excerpt:

“You are a murderer,” she said.

He kicked her stomach in retaliation. As she fell forward, he grabbed her throat and stopped her. He pulled her closer and closer to him until their faces were so close, they nearly touched.

“I am king,” he said. “I am king ordained by a power higher than you or your damned law!”

He screamed the last of it at her and then pushed her away. She fell back against the carriage door and rested there for a moment before confronting him once more.

“You are a murderer,” she gasped. “You are a murderer ordained by the powers of hell and I will shout it from the rooftops until every living being on this earth knows it.”

Maddox turned away from her. She started to move off the floor but did not get far. Without warning, he whirled around and struck her face with his elbow. She made no noise as she fell nor did she make a sound as she lay on her back, stunned by the pain and the taste of blood in her mouth.

“You will shout nothing,” he said as the carriage came to a stop. “Am I understood?”

Aaaaaaaand, that's gonna do it for me today. I'm not tagging seven other people because well, because I never do that. But if you haven't yet been tagged and would like to see what exactly lurks on the seventh line of page 77 of your manuscript and share it with the world, then please, consider yourself tagged. Just let me know because I'd love to read it.

Happy Monday, everyone. Hope you have a great week.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what a lucky 7. This is an awesome bit. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great except, lots of tension, and I really want to know who he murdered (I have a feeling it could be many).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, intrigue.
    Who'd he murder? WHO?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alex- She shouts. Eventually.

    @Jenny- Thank you... and yes, I'm very happy this was the seven paragraphs on page 77.

    @Annalisa- Your feeling would be correct.

    @Aldrea- It's more who he hasn't murdered. He's not a very nice guy.

    Thanks everyone for stopping by today. Your comments, as always, are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing scene! You need to finish now because I NEED to read it. And I'm considering myself tagged :) I'll write the post Thursday? Maybe? I'll let you know

    ReplyDelete